Article 44 'not a problem,' says Prayut

webfact

Its nothing he says, just unlimited power that can be wielded anytime, anywhere for whatever reason I desire with NO ramifications, as the new constitution exonerates me. Juntas lovers might be able to answer this. If he is so tried and true, why is there a clause in the new constitution freeing he and others from prosecution ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why are you all afraid of article 44?

What have you done or intend doing to be so afraid of it?

Or it's because you have to write something against the Prime Minister.

Don't worry your lives will not change to the slightest but I'm sorry can't help you of being miserable.

Nobody can more miserable than who enjoys and celebrates at journalists being threatened of summary executions and students and teachers jailed and tortured to death and children being enforced to slavery.(who dared to denunce it is himself in jail)

Let's hope this will happen to Greece too. Countries don't need democracy , they need discipline, obedience and military dictatorships.

As some Thai generals said few years ago, 150 000 deaths are a good price to keep the power, I think next time Greeks will protest for lack of job or food , the army should shoot a couple of millions of them. In this way they will go in the perfect path of happiness and "peace" you wish for Thailand.

It isn't a case of Costas' who's afraid question. It is the case that he views all from a somewhat Western point of view, and not a Thai one.

Costas, farang lives may not change - but did you ever consider that many of us are married and have THAI children, and it is their future we care about? You seem to be a day to day liver, and have no long-term view of prospects that are LIKELY ahead for Thais but consider only your own concerns.

Also for your Thai children it is much better if thailand gets reformed. Then they feel proud to be raised in a not corrupt country where law and order is. They will get good education, safe roads, good future.

What's the problem with the General improving the whole country? It didn't happen in the past and has to be done asap.

I feel ashamed to tell my western friends that i am married with a Thai. I know what they are thinking and that's nothing to be proud of (even if they are totally wrong in those thoughts).

Martial law or article 44, for me it's all the same. The only good thing i can think of is that my travel insurance will cover me again now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the OP it states "grants him near-absolute power' In my reading of Article 44 it would seem that that he has granted himself absolute power. Can anyone enlighten me as to what he is prevented in doing?

Allowing democracy back into Thailand?

Don't worry your lives will not change to the slightest but I'm sorry can't help you of being miserable.

Great Costas! For this post I'd like to invite you for dinner. You can eat as many stones as you like on my tap and than we go swimming- OK?

I am not personally worried about this although I have concerns about the future of Thailand.

What about you Costas, what's that your carrying there is that a rifle and bayonet. I think the nice men in uniform may want to have a chat about that, but don't worry it's not a problem just a quick chat and then you can go, MMaybe.

No one can really be that blind or stupid!

You must be a troll or some kind of internet- glitch!

It is impossible, NOT to see, what is wrong with an Article 44.

Not with even the slightest bit of political education!

• Like 2

I am not personally worried about this although I have concerns about the future of Thailand.

What about you Costas, what's that your carrying there is that a rifle and bayonet. I think the nice men in uniform may want to have a chat about that, but don't worry it's not a problem just a quick chat and then you can go, MMaybe.

Hardly carrying a rifle and a bayonet considering Greeks retire at 23...

No one can really be that blind or stupid!

You must be a troll or some kind of internet- glitch!

It is impossible, NOT to see, what is wrong with an Article 44.

Not with even the slightest bit of political education!

I think you have it right there :-

"You must be a troll or some kind of internet- glitch!"

Haven't you noticed how he makes these ridiculous comments and then never posts again in the same thread?

Nobody can more miserable than who enjoys and celebrates at journalists being threatened of summary executions and students and teachers jailed and tortured to death and children being enforced to slavery.(who dared to denunce it is himself in jail)

Let's hope this will happen to Greece too. Countries don't need democracy , they need discipline, obedience and military dictatorships.

As some Thai generals said few years ago, 150 000 deaths are a good price to keep the power, I think next time Greeks will protest for lack of job or food , the army should shoot a couple of millions of them. In this way they will go in the perfect path of happiness and "peace" you wish for Thailand.

For just this once I agree with you, anyone who can be so complacient in front of so much evidence to the contrary must be living on valium? "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely!" thumbsup.gifsad.pngwai.gif

• Like 1

if your not happy here, nothing is stopping you moving. A lot of things he is doing is good for Thailand and who gives a damn what Europe or the US say, time they got there own house in order before looking at other countries.

if he is head of the Government for the next 5-10 yrs you never know it might be a good thing

• Like 1

I have said it many times before and I will say it at least once again..

Thailand has never been a western style democracy and probably never will be, so if you are unhappy about that, and for a lot of you it really sounds like you are, then I would suggest you had best make plans for getting out. The way it stands, the next 18 months are going to be hell for you.

If on the other hand you can accept that Thailand is not like the USA, Australia or wherever the heck you came from, and that they have always done things differently from the guys at home, and always will do things differently to the guys at home, then you should probably stay.

Article 44 is just Thailands clumsy way of doing what many developed countries have done for decades, using their combined police and security services to manage civil unrest. There is nothing in article 44 that is not found in the explicit powers already assigned to such people as the head of the CIA, FBI, MI6 etc etc. In fact I'm pretty sure the scope of such powers extend far beyond the scope of Article 44.

• Like 2