Hoffen Asia Windows

UKJASE

We recently bought some windows and a door from Hoffen Asia, based in Bangkok, but also selling out of Home Pro

At first the product seemed ok, but the handles that they sent to us, which were meant to be locking, could easily be forced open, and the locking mechanism would snap. I demonstrated this to their technicians, a successfully opened 7 "locked" windows in quick succession, simply by using force

This left them a bit confused as to what to do, and they eventually tracked down another supplier of window handles, and came and replaced all our window locks.

As soon as they had replaced them, whilst the technician was there, one of the handles broke whilst opening a window. He said he would replace that handle at a later date. Over the next month or so, another 2 handles broke, and Hoffen Asia sent 3 handles in the post for me to replace myself

I asked them for some spares, as it seemed obvious more would break, but the lady refused.

A little while later another handle broke, and i contacted Hoffen Asia. The lady told me the 3 month guarantee had expired, and they would not replace it for me free of charge.

I asked her why such an expensive product would have such a short guarantee, and she refused to answer my emails. Now two weeks later, and after emailing her several times, plus the main contact email, plus leaving messages on their facebook page, they have not answered any of my correspondance

Today, one of the handles stopped working, and we can no longer open the window at all!!

They are refusing to answer my emails or messages, so i wanted to ask on here, where do you think i stand?

the product has repeatedly failed on me, and we have spent 160,000 baht

is there any course of action i could take you think, or am i on my own now they have the money?

I believe there will be more than one quality window parts supplier company later this month at the Architect Expo. I've seen all manner of hardware offered to window fabricators at this trade show. Certainly some of the major custom window firms doing significant business in Bangkok will have booths at this Expo and will have representatives, if not the owners of those window firms who can understand and speak English. Casualbiker also has a valid suggestion in how to proceed, but that might not get you a better grade of handles. The http://www.architectexpo.com/page.php?a=1&n=203 is April 28 through May 5th and is free if you register.

The office of consumer protection.. Or just source some decent handles from some where else.. Or stop getting annoyed and going into Hulk mode

Yes to the OCPB suggestion.

Nuts to the other two options.

The OP has handed over real money in good faith and should not have to put up with a crappy product. If it was up to me the company would be prosecuted, fined and then shut down and the directors barred from running a company for life.

I believe there will be more than one quality window parts supplier company later this month at the Architect Expo. I've seen all manner of hardware offered to window fabricators at this trade show. Certainly some of the major custom window firms doing significant business in Bangkok will have booths at this Expo and will have representatives, if not the owners of those window firms who can understand and speak English. Casualbiker also has a valid suggestion in how to proceed, but that might not get you a better grade of handles. The http://www.architectexpo.com/page.php?a=1&n=203 is April 28 through May 5th and is free if you register.

That's rather interesting, thanks. Shame it's the far side of Bangkok from me, but maybe I will make the effort.

Your link doesnt lead to the full site, but this one does: http://www.architectexpo.com/index.php

I'm after some good quality aluminium double-glazed sliding/fixed patio doors with narrow profiles and have had no luck finding a decent supplier and a sensible price in Pattaya. In fact hardly anyone here does them at all.

I,ve got Hoffen Windows UPVC from HomePro (10 alltogether about 29,000 bahts worth) on my shopping list for my ongoing house build but reading this makes me wonder...more information need I think-anyone else on TV have these windows and good or not sad.png

the lady got back to me from Hoffen Asia, and she still insists that the windows and doors and locks are only covered by a 90 day guarantee

i asked her to show me where it says this on their terms and conditions, but she ignored this request

surely a high value product such as this must have a guarantee of longer than 90 days, or are Hoffen Asia within their rights to only offer it's customers 90 days?

to spend 160,000 Baht and for them to only guarantee things will work for 90 days does not seem right

maybe i am just to used to the customer service and consumer rights i used to receive in the UK?

The office of consumer protection.. Or just source some decent handles from some where else.. Or stop getting annoyed and going into Hulk mode

http://www.consumersinternational.org/our-members/member-directory/Office%20of%20the%20Consumer%20Protection%20Board%20of%20Thailand

Agree with that, in fact I would have demanded different handles right after the second one broke, and if they didn't agree the case would go right to OCPB. Normally doesn't take them more than a single phone call to solve the case, and I'm speaking from several experiences.

I,ve got Hoffen Windows UPVC from HomePro (10 alltogether about 29,000 bahts worth) on my shopping list for my ongoing house build but reading this makes me wonder...more information need I think-anyone else on TV have these windows and good or not sad.png

Anyone out there has Hoffen Windows happy or not (apart from the OP naturally) wai.gif

another window lock snapped on us yesterday. that makes 6 in total from 17 windows that have snapped since they replaced the original locks, which were all snapping

now, 5 have broken on us, and one window will not open at all as the handle is jammed

i have not contacted the office of consumer protection yet, as i emailed the boss at hoffen asia yesterday to tell her my intentions, hoping they would concede and offer to replace my broken handles

the lady did not respond to my email, so i will contact the office of consumer protection in the morning

will report back any developments

another window lock snapped on us yesterday. that makes 6 in total from 17 windows that have snapped since they replaced the original locks, which were all snapping

now, 5 have broken on us, and one window will not open at all as the handle is jammed

i have not contacted the office of consumer protection yet, as i emailed the boss at hoffen asia yesterday to tell her my intentions, hoping they would concede and offer to replace my broken handles

the lady did not respond to my email, so i will contact the office of consumer protection in the morning

will report back any developments

I wouldn't accept replacement of the broken handles, but demand all handles replaced with a decent brand that doesn't break, because otherwise it will be a street with no end.

• 2 weeks later...

i spoke to the manager of Hoffen Windows in bangkok today and explained that the window handles are of low quality, and keep repeatedly breaking

she told me that the 3 months warranty is up, and so i am on my own

i cant believe how badly treated i have been

i explained i would call the Consumer Protection people and she just got angry with me and hung up

as she had hung up, she had not given me a chance to finish, so i text her to explain that one of the replacement handles she sent me had in fact broken already and so should at least be covered by the 3 month warranty they offer, but she did not reply!!

i cant believe the service i am receiving from such a big company, with whom we have spent so much cash. Home Pro stock their product, and i wonder if they realise what can happen if things start to go south

i have given them as many chances as i can. i was hoping we could sort it out between ourselves. fingers crossed Consumer Protection can help

if they are of no help, is there any other avenues i can take? we live in hua hin, so i suppose i can travel to bangkok and talk to them face to face, but the thing is, i dont think they actually have any replacement handles that they could use, apart from the design they have now, and these are breaking regularly on us with normal use sad.png

i spoke to the manager of Hoffen Windows in bangkok today and explained that the window handles are of low quality, and keep repeatedly breaking

she told me that the 3 months warranty is up, and so i am on my own

i cant believe how badly treated i have been

i explained i would call the Consumer Protection people and she just got angry with me and hung up

as she had hung up, she had not given me a chance to finish, so i text her to explain that one of the replacement handles she sent me had in fact broken already and so should at least be covered by the 3 month warranty they offer, but she did not reply!!

i cant believe the service i am receiving from such a big company, with whom we have spent so much cash. Home Pro stock their product, and i wonder if they realise what can happen if things start to go south

i have given them as many chances as i can. i was hoping we could sort it out between ourselves. fingers crossed Consumer Protection can help

if they are of no help, is there any other avenues i can take? we live in hua hin, so i suppose i can travel to bangkok and talk to them face to face, but the thing is, i dont think they actually have any replacement handles that they could use, apart from the design they have now, and these are breaking regularly on us with normal use sad.png

I think window handles are a standard size, so any brand will fit. Go see OCPB in your local city hall, I'm sure they will help you out.

I called Consumer Protection and they sounded interested. They are going to call me back tomorrow.

I was looking again at the window locks that Hoffen have supplied to us with the windows, and the locking mechanism is made of thin plastic which must be about 2 mm thick in it's thinnest point. How can a plastic lock of 2mm be expected to be durable enough to withstand daily use of opening and closing, and be strong enough to be the one point that locks the windows from the outside, and ensures that they cannot be opened!?

surely a locking mechanism needs to be made of metal to enure it has any strength, or at least thick plastic

these locks in my opinion are simply not suited to the purpose of ensuring security.

When Consumer Protection call back tomorrow i will be discussing this point with them, that these locks are simply not fit for purpose, and should not have been installed in the first place

hopefully the Consumer Protection people will agree with this, and we can start to move forward with Hoffen, because at the minute Hoffen Windows are refusing to deal with me, and replace these locks free of charge, which is what i am requesting

Devils advocate may ask ,....

Did you not check what you were buying before ?

A personal opinion and I HOPE IM WRONG , but seems to me your flogging a dead horse.

They have a product that they offer for sale , you accepted there offer and they supplied there product.

You could of spent 3x on something else or maybe even half what you paid them.

Seems to me your wasting your time no matter have grieved you feel.

That said all the best UK :-)

Dont forget defamation and libel fair or not (in your opinion) is pretty god damn serious in LOS, if by chance there reading this and have saved the posts they just might bite back.

Good Luck :-) , hope it works out well for you.

Edited by The Big Mango

A personal opinion and I HOPE IM WRONG , but seems to me your flogging a dead horse.

They have a product that they offer for sale , you accepted there offer and they supplied there product.

Dont forget defamation and libel fair or not (in your opinion) is pretty god damn serious in LOS, if by chance there reading this and have saved the posts they just might bite back.

we did check what we were buying Mango, to a certain extent, but we did not check the product so thoroughly that we looked at what the locking system was made of. I mean the locking mechanism is held within the handle and so is quite hard to examine without taking the product apart. it is only since the locks failed and fell onto the floor that i have been able to have a good look at the construction blink.png

i do feel like i am flogging a dead horse a bit mate - but i feel i need to try something, as doing nothing makes me feel aggrieved

cheers for the good wishes bud thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

we did check what we were buying Mango, to a certain extent, but we did not check the product so thoroughly that we looked at what the locking system was made of. I mean the locking mechanism is held within the handle and so is quite hard to examine without taking the product apart. it is only since the locks failed and fell onto the floor that i have been able to have a good look at the construction blink.png

i do feel like i am flogging a dead horse a bit mate - but i feel i need to try something, as doing nothing makes me feel aggrieved

cheers for the good wishes bud thumbsup.gif

Any Update ?

yes mango - there have been some developments, but not much in the way of progress i am afraid. emails have been going back and forward, and i have told her if we dont get some progress soon then i am coming up to bangkok to the office

i contacted the Consumer Protection people outlined in the first or second reply to my OP. but they did not even reply. (not sure of any other bodies i can contact....... do any TV people know?)

i emailed Hoffen Asia and told them about the window handle replacement failing, and how we had the house (brand new build) blessed by the monks, and it was real hot, but we could not open the window where they were sat, as it had failed. very embarrassing for the wife seeing this is a brand new house! the manager said that any replacement parts we buy from them are not at all covered by any warranty at all. so even though the replacement handles were only a month or so old, they had no warranty at all! she offered to sell me some more :).....

so now i am asking to see where in their terms it states that the installation is only covered for 3 months, and any product failure after that is no longer covered, but even though i have asked for this twice, she has yet to show me where it states this.

i have kept a blog about what has happened throughout and will put it online soon. so far 13 handles have failed since installation, and all hoffen asia will offer is for us to pay for more handles - which are the same as have already failed many times.

i want to deal with someone higher up the ladder, but the lady i am dealing with (who speaks perfect english) says she is the manager. i am sure she must have a superior, but i do not know who it is. i dont suppose anyone reading this thread has any knowledge of the management system at hoffen asia do they? do these guys have a german counterpart?