PM Makes Trafficking a Top Priority

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-24337900-1428089665_thumb.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha plans to make trafficking an urgent national agenda item. The Labour Ministry will be bolstering its efforts to resolve human trafficking issues in a new plan, which is expected to be revealed in the very near future.

Unlawful labor practices will include forced, child and illegal migrant labor. A new subcommittee will create the plan to resolve the problem and a working group will be set up to support the initiative.

Human trafficking will be declared a national agenda item today by Gen Prayut. The PM will ask state agencies to tackle the problem with urgency.

Steps are already being taken to resolve issues with migrant labor. Special zones in border areas have been set up to help resolve the issue. By setting up labor zoning in these special economic zones, authorities can keep a watchful eye on migrant workers. The move could help strengthen the relationship between Thailand and its neighboring countries. At the same time, it bolsters security along the border.

Officials are also working to resolve issues within the fishing industry. Recently, a second group of six Thai fishermen arrived back to Thailand safely. The workers were left stranded on Ambon Island in Indonesia.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-03

Everything seems to be a top priority. Minute details of obscure insignificant, to trafficking evil ongoing that needs to be crushed. Pm needs to stop trying to control everything. But in the military, that is the norm. Private: Sir, may I take a s**t? Sergeant: You have 30 seconds, go!

Everything seems to be a top priority. Minute details of obscure insignificant, to trafficking evil ongoing that needs to be crushed. Pm needs to stop trying to control everything. But in the military, that is the norm. Private: Sir, may I take a s**t? Sergeant: You have 30 seconds, go!

It's like pressing down bubbles in wallpaper or playing whack-a-mole.

At the moment trafficking is getting the thumb down (or mallet if you would prefer) next week it will be something else.

Instead of focusing on one mole or unwanted pocket of air, he should rip the whole wall down.

But he is sitting on top of the wall, so that will not happen.

The Labour Ministry will be bolstering its efforts to resolve human trafficking issues in a new plan, which is expected to be revealed in the very near future.

So no actual plan yet but just in the process of writing one.

It's another top priority but will this one actually come to fruition in terms of arresting those responsible ... they know who the perpetrators are so why do you need a plan or is the top priority plan just an plan to see how they can make some token arrests while leaving those responsible to carry on with impunity?

Prayut talks about trust all the time and if he really wants the trust of the people and the international community then he'll have to show that he is not cut from the same cloth as the rich and untouchables.

• Like 1

He better move fast, and keep his mouth shut.

Oh, oh my. Something tells me he is just not capable.

Nobody is.

He has three sets of people to appease, the voting Thai community, the Thai elite and the international community.

It matters not what he or anyone else in his situation does, he will piss off at least one of them.

How much import each section has on the running and success of the country is the major factor.

I do not envy him at all.

• Like 1

The Labour Ministry will be bolstering its efforts to resolve human trafficking issues in a new plan, which is expected to be revealed in the very near future.

It's another top priority but will this one actually come to fruition in terms of arresting those responsible ... they know who the perpetrators are so why do you need a plan or is the top priority plan just an plan to see how they can make some token arrests while leaving those responsible to carry on with impunity?

Prayut talks about trust all the time and if he really wants the trust of the people and the international community then he'll have to show that he is not cut from the same cloth as the rich and untouchables.

At this point a few token arrests would be welcome, unfortunately I dont think that is even gonna happen.

Thai delegation reported from a visit to Benjina earlier this week to find trafficked Thai nationals. They denied mistreatment on the boats and said the crews were all Thai, even though the AP found many migrant workers from other countries are issued fake documents with Thai names and addresses.

"We examined the boats and the crews, and the result is most of the crews are happy and a few of them are sick and willing to go home," said Thai police Lt. Gen. Saritchai Anekwiang, who was leading the delegation. "Generally, the boat conditions are good." http://news.yahoo.com/fishermen-rush-rescued-amid-indonesian-slavery-probe-053153555.html

Edited by dcutman

Nobody is.

He has three sets of people to appease, the voting Thai community, the Thai elite and the international community.

It matters not what he or anyone else in his situation does, he will piss off at least one of them.

How much import each section has on the running and success of the country is the major factor.

He brought this upon himself the moment he invoked martial law. He should just do what is humane and perhaps he can win reconciliation .

• Like 1

Nobody is.

" the voting Thai community"

Don't think they are a concern, they didn't vote for him.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He is about to get nailed with some really nasty press if he does nothing. He is a perfect target, as he suffers from very low likability from most free governments. He better move fast, and keep his mouth shut.

What rubbish.

From previous attempts they hit the ground running then get the Thai shakes , then the to do attitude disappears and sleeping sickness takes over , like most events of this nature from human trafficking , ivory trade , labour market, animal trade and so forth , I expect nothing different in the long term and a bad report card from big brother ,surprises are known to happen, however the Democratic Western Governments haven't got much time for this cowboy out fit ,so much so since article 44, they will make it as hard as they can.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nobody is.

He brought this upon himself the moment he invoked martial law. He should just do what is humane and perhaps he can win reconciliation .

'He brought this on himself..."

What the hell does that mean.

The facts are now fully emerging about how really nasty and disgraceful the fisherman situation really is. The general didn't invent it yesterday.

At the moment trafficking is getting the thumb down (or mallet if you would prefer) next week it will be something else.

Instead of focusing on one mole or unwanted pocket of air, he should rip the whole wall down.

Humpty Dumpty reference at all? :)

• Like 1

Keep up to date please, he's already penetrated many things and made gains, and it will take a long time to get real progress and real change. And it will be two steps forward and one backwards for quite awhile yet.

Do you really thing all that many Thai people are interested in what the international community think? I suggest the answer is no. Further, study the antics of USA and more and note how double side / double faced their policies and statements are. The US has been vocal about the general and the coup but they have a history of supporting coups. And a question: why has the US not been vocal about the lack of real democracy in Singapore and even more so in Malaysia where just in the last few days vocal members of the opposition have been locked up without due process and not the first time it's happened.

In terms of the labour ministry IMHO it's time for a very big very wide clean out. Trafficking (all types and flavors) has been totally ignored by this ministry for years and there have been many reports of complicit officials and no doubt many are senior officials, even ministers. They should all be in jail for 20 years.

Edited by scorecard

Nobody is.

" the voting Thai community"

Don't think they are a concern, they didn't vote for him.

So, you haven't thought about the next election either, truly integrated.

Nobody is.

'He brought this on himself..."

What the hell does that mean.

The facts are now fully emerging about how really nasty and disgraceful the fisherman situation really is. The general didn't invent it yesterday.

Nixon did not order the Watergate break in, but he was involved in it's cover up. Your dear general did the same thing with channel 3 spouting lost revenue over humanity. When the story was picked up by the international media, he focused on the crisis as he had no choice. He made a much better decision than Nixon did if that is any consolation. Nixon was elected by the way and impeached while in office.

Edited by yellowboat

Nobody is.

HA! The 'voting Thai community? You clearly have zero understanding of what's happening.

Priority last week this week top priority?

Why doesn't the General enlist the services of Mr Andy Hall; he had a mountain of information.

So what happened to Natural Fruit Company?

"Migrant exploitation by employers, officials and brokers is widespread and systematic … This abuse extends to many export markets beyond fishing, seafood and pineapples to poultry, fruit and veg, rubber and – even more now – retail, food and beverage, and tourism." as said by Mr Andy Hall.

So do you think this will be all encompassing or just a PR exercise?

Priority last week this week top priority?

Why doesn't the General enlist the services of Mr Andy Hall; he had a mountain of information.

So what happened to Natural Fruit Company?

"Migrant exploitation by employers, officials and brokers is widespread and systematic … This abuse extends to many export markets beyond fishing, seafood and pineapples to poultry, fruit and veg, rubber and – even more now – retail, food and beverage, and tourism." as said by Mr Andy Hall.

So do you think this will be all encompassing or just a PR exercise?

Andy Hall is about as trustworthy as Mr P!!

It is all about Mr Hall and the limelight.....................coffee1.gif

Humpty Dumpty reference at all? smile.png

"Humpty Dumpty reference at all?"smile.png

At the risk of bringing nursery rhymes into this thread, remember that the subject of this thread is actually the leader of Humpty's attempted repair crew.wink.png

Nobody is.

HA! The 'voting Thai community? You clearly have zero understanding of what's happening.

Really, enlighten me then.

What do you think is happening?