How set our PC's up for a home wifi router?

Happy Grumpy

I've had a 3BB plug-in internet for almost 2 years now.

Bought a second computer, we now want wifi, so stopped at a 3BB kiosk and they said we only have to buy a wifi router, change it over, and our payment plan stays the same (631b p/m with tax).

So we now have a wifi router.

Unfortunately, neither of our PC's have a wifi reader or adapter or whatever.

So how will we get them to connect to the wifi??

Is it just a matter of buying one of these, and they automatically become wifi enabled and can connect to the wifi from the router?

wifi_usb_adapter.jpg

Or:

3702_0_Web.jpg

thanks.

Why do you want WiFi for the second computer? Better to run them both to the router (there are 4 ports right?) with cable and just use WiFi for Android/phones in most cases. But if can not run wire for second computer yes you can put an adapter on that computer to allow operation via WiFi if in range.

Why do you want WiFi for the second computer? Better to run them both to the router (there are 4 ports right?) with cable and just use WiFi for Android/phones in most cases.

There are two sets of sliding doors to go through, which are open with aircon off and closed with aircon on. Wifi suits better than cables.

But if can not run wire for second computer yes you can put an adapter on that computer to allow operation via WiFi if in range.

Great, so for example, one of these is all we need once the wifi router is set up?

TL_WN821N.jpg

sure fire way to see if you are connected online is to use the LAN connectors in the back of the router. Most laptops have wifi, but you may have an older laptop or desktop tower . Anyways...start with the LAN...and then turn on your phone and see if a signal shows up (if your phone has wifi). You will want to use wpa2 security....so you need to set that up as well, or all your neighbors get free internet, at your expense and speed.

Also many routers have default logons/password. you can google it for your brand. use that and change it...or somebody will lock you out before you got this all figured out.

You start by checking what your IP is...and then use that to access the routers setup page.

Edited by slipperylobster

Why do you want WiFi for the second computer? Better to run them both to the router (there are 4 ports right?) with cable and just use WiFi for Android/phones in most cases.

There are two sets of sliding doors to go through, which are open with aircon off and closed with aircon on. Wifi suits better than cables.

But if can not run wire for second computer yes you can put an adapter on that computer to allow operation via WiFi if in range.

Great, so for example, one of these is all we need once the wifi router is set up?

TL_WN821N.jpg

As Crossy stated, that would work great.

You can also get the same model with a Desk Cradle (USB Port on a long cable). Less likely to have signal issues or break the USB port.

TP-Link_USB_WiFi_adapter.jpg

• Like 2

When I did that to my desktop I had to go into device manager and disable the ethernet. The computer kept hunting for ethernet when it wasn't there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to be sure the wireless is also enabled while there if it doesn't fire right off.

It is soooo nice not to have those cables. I also have a wireless printer which is now in another room. All of my computer life I've had a cable running around the edge of the room to get over to the printer which was in a place I didn't want it anyway.

All of your computers can be set up to use a wireless printer if they have that printer's drivers.

I'll take wireless any chance I get.

Cheers

• Like 1