New taxi scam experienced at MBK taxi queue

koolbreez

Today, my taxi driver I got at the MBK taxi queue out the bottom floor door in the back, and one I've used many times in the past with no problems, immediately turned off the air conditioner, rolled up all the windows, and while driving said "air costs bt100 extra", referencing he would not turn on the airconditioner unless I paid him an extra bt100, and he had locked the windows so they couldn't be rolled down.

I was thinking this was just a rouge driver, but two hours later my Thai girlfriend had the same thing happen to her, so it isn't targeting just foreigners.

Both times there was no problem turning on the meter, but for the airco it was an extra bt100, and no rolling down the windows. Has anyone else had this taxi cab scam happen to them just recently anywhere else, as this is the first time I've heard or experienced it in the 12 years I've been here? They turn on the meter, but now want extra money, during this starting hot season, to turn on the AC. I called the complaint line, but they were at a loss as to what to do, because the driver did turn on the meter, and there were no threats, or anything done that would have been technically illegal.

Today, my taxi driver I got at the MBK taxi queue out the bottom floor door in the back, and one I've used many times in the past with no problems, immediately turned off the air conditioner, rolled up all the windows, and while driving said "air costs bt100 extra", referencing he would not turn on the airconditioner unless I paid him an extra bt100, and he had locked the windows so they couldn't be rolled down.

I was thinking this was just a rouge driver, but two hours later my Thai girlfriend had the same thing happen to her, so it isn't targeting just foreigners.

Both times there was no problem turning on the meter, but for the airco it was an extra bt100, and no rolling down the windows. Has anyone else had this taxi cab scam happen to them just recently anywhere else, as this is the first time I've heard or experienced it in the 12 years I've been here? They turn on the meter, but now want extra money, during this starting hot season, to turn on the AC. I called the complaint line, but they were at a loss as to what to do, because the driver did turn on the meter, and there were no threats, or anything done that would have been technically illegal.

I would have exited the taxi and not asked any questions, take a picture of the taxi and turn them in. <deleted> losers

First traffic lights out of the taxi, just walk away.

What i s he going to do? Nothing.

Last time i was in Bangkok, driver closed the meter stopped at lights, and walked away, easy.

Yes, that's definitely what I'd do but can't these taxi drivers just lock you in ?

It's an insult to intelligence and common decency to continually find new ways to scam people. It's just yet another way to show total disrespect and disdain for foreigners.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Thailand is nothing but hassle these days, that's why 3 weeks R&R on a beach is all Thailand is good for (for me anyway).

Not quite so easy if you happen to have put shopping or luggage in the boot.

Ask him to stop right there is about all you can realistically do and pay the 35 baht or whatever is on the meter to get your belongings back out of the boot.

It's an insult to intelligence and common decency to continually find new ways to scam people. It's just yet another way to show total disrespect and disdain for foreigners.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Thailand is nothing but hassle these days, that's why 3 weeks R&R on a beach is all Thailand is good for (for me anyway).

The OP stated: I was thinking this was just a rouge driver, but two hours later my Thai girlfriend had the same thing happen to her, so it isn't targeting just foreigners.

Thai people are often hit with transport scams, like taxi drivers bringing them to a travel agency when they have requested to be taken to the bus station.

• 2 weeks later...

IF caught in such a scam - Initially agree to pay - If you are heading to your home, instead direct your taxi to a 5 Star hotel (you don't want the driver to know where you live) - at the hotel or similarly public destination, on arrival, unload your bags etc, then pay the taxi the metered fare. IF there is any further argument ask the hotel security to call the police.

I've done this very same thing at the airport in Indonesia - The Taxi driver doubled the quoted fare as soon as we left the airport. I couldn't argue, it was late at night. I agreed. But when we got to the hotel I called security straight away - Paid the driver the price initially agreed upon.

In Bangkok there is now an extremely simply method of avoiding taxi scams... Avoid the regular flag-fall Taxi's !!! - use UBER or GrabTaxi and say bye bye to any taxi issues.

• Like 1

IF caught in such a scam - Initially agree to pay - If you are heading to your home, instead direct your taxi to a 5 Star hotel (you don't want the driver to know where you live) - at the hotel or similarly public destination, on arrival, unload your bags etc, then pay the taxi the metered fare. IF there is any further argument ask the hotel security to call the police.

I've done this very same thing at the airport in Indonesia - The Taxi driver doubled the quoted fare as soon as we left the airport. I couldn't argue, it was late at night. I agreed. But when we got to the hotel I called security straight away - Paid the driver the price initially agreed upon.

In Bangkok there is now an extremely simply method of avoiding taxi scams... Avoid the regular flag-fall Taxi's !!! - use UBER or GrabTaxi and say bye bye to any taxi issues.

Uber charge you twice the metered fare anyway -,so why bother? grab taxi is okay sometimes but not particularly reliable at turning up. I've used both in other cities with no problem, but in Bangkok??? Maybe just bad luck. I hardly ever have probs with metered taxis. If there is a problem just get out at first opportunity - the taxi drivers never seem to have a problem if I do that. Their choice

Uber charge you twice the metered fare anyway -,so why bother? grab taxi is okay sometimes but not particularly reliable at turning up. I've used both in other cities with no problem, but in Bangkok??? Maybe just bad luck. I hardly ever have probs with metered taxis. If there is a problem just get out at first opportunity - the taxi drivers never seem to have a problem if I do that. Their choice
"Uber charge twice the metered fare"? Uhh no! uber X is comparable price to taxi meters,often less and drivers far more polite and cleaner car interior,as it is their own car. Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

Quote:

"I was thinking this was just a rouge driver, ..."

Can't keep politics out of it, can you. :)

Anyway, I want to know if you paid the 100 or sat there in defiance of Khun Cleverdick.

Duh, it was a misspelling of "rogue."

Duh, the smiley not mean anything to you?

UBER Black may charge approximately twice the double fare, however, I've found UBERx to be extremely competitive... the price structure is cheaper than a regular taxi.

Conventional Taxi: Starting Fare 35 B / 7.04 B per km / 110 B/hr (minimum fare 35 B - Paid to Driver.

UBERx: Starting Fare 25 B / 4.5 B per km / 60 B/hr (minimum fare 45 B - Charged to Account / Credit Card.

UBER Black: Starting Fare 50 B / 14 B per km / 150 B/hr (minimum fare 50 B - Charged to Account / Credit Card.

GrabTaxi: 25 B booking fee + Starting Fare 35 B / 7.04 B per km / 110 B/hr (minimum fare 55 B - Paid to Driver.

Personal Examples:

Soi Langsuan to Prakanong - 69 baht

Sukhumvit Soi 11 to Prakanong - 62 bhat

Rama IV to Sukhumvit 71 - 50 baht

I've found that using these services (particularly UBERx) removes any of those minor anxieties involved with dealing with Taxis...

By minor anxieties I mean: "is this driver going to..... be erratic, dangerous, impolite, get me lost, not have change, try and offer Thai lady, ask where my Wife is from then ask why I don't like Issan lady etc, ask me how much money I earn, open the door to spit at each junction, play terrible music too loud, Smell, not have seatbelt, taxi in terrible condition, cracks in the windscreen, dodgy tires, creaking breaks and suspension etc etc etc...".... Using UBER eradicates any of these issues simply because there is a feed-back system in place, the drivers are accountable and their vehicles must be in good condition.

Using UBERx is somewhat of a no-brainer. Of course, it requires thinking ahead 10mins to make the booking.

Unfortunately UBERx is not always available, then UBER Black or GrabTaxi cab be relied upon.

In Summary: The point I wish to make is that with all the news of Taxi Scams... or just the fact that using a taxi, trying to flag one down (rejections etc) can be an annoying and irritating experience - why would people not use a more competitive and better service?

Thanks for that Richard. Most informative. I tried Uber from Ratchadapisek Road to Swampy and was quoted an all in price of bt1,000. A regular metered taxi never has more than about bt230 on the meter for the same journey. I immediately cancelled and haven't tried them since. Maybe I ordered their limo service? If what you say is true, I'll give them another try and note exactly what I seem to be ordering.

Cheers

PS I never enter a normal metered taxi before agreeing specifically where I'm going and that the meter is on. And rarely if ever have a problem.

UBER Black may charge approximately twice the double fare, however, I've found UBERx to be extremely competitive... the price structure is cheaper than a regular taxi.

Conventional Taxi: Starting Fare 35 B / 7.04 B per km / 110 B/hr (minimum fare 35 B - Paid to Driver.

UBERx: Starting Fare 25 B / 4.5 B per km / 60 B/hr (minimum fare 45 B - Charged to Account / Credit Card.

UBER Black: Starting Fare 50 B / 14 B per km / 150 B/hr (minimum fare 50 B - Charged to Account / Credit Card.

GrabTaxi: 25 B booking fee + Starting Fare 35 B / 7.04 B per km / 110 B/hr (minimum fare 55 B - Paid to Driver.

Personal Examples:

Soi Langsuan to Prakanong - 69 baht

Sukhumvit Soi 11 to Prakanong - 62 bhat

Rama IV to Sukhumvit 71 - 50 baht

I've found that using these services (particularly UBERx) removes any of those minor anxieties involved with dealing with Taxis...

By minor anxieties I mean: "is this driver going to..... be erratic, dangerous, impolite, get me lost, not have change, try and offer Thai lady, ask where my Wife is from then ask why I don't like Issan lady etc, ask me how much money I earn, open the door to spit at each junction, play terrible music too loud, Smell, not have seatbelt, taxi in terrible condition, cracks in the windscreen, dodgy tires, creaking breaks and suspension etc etc etc...".... Using UBER eradicates any of these issues simply because there is a feed-back system in place, the drivers are accountable and their vehicles must be in good condition.

Using UBERx is somewhat of a no-brainer. Of course, it requires thinking ahead 10mins to make the booking.

Unfortunately UBERx is not always available, then UBER Black or GrabTaxi cab be relied upon.

In Summary: The point I wish to make is that with all the news of Taxi Scams... or just the fact that using a taxi, trying to flag one down (rejections etc) can be an annoying and irritating experience - why would people not use a more competitive and better service?

Thanks for that Richard. Most informative. I tried Uber from Ratchadapisek Road to Swampy and was quoted an all in price of bt1,000. A regular metered taxi never has more than about bt230 on the meter for the same journey. I immediately cancelled and haven't tried them since. Maybe I ordered their limo service? If what you say is true, I'll give them another try and note exactly what I seem to be ordering.

Cheers

PS I never enter a normal metered taxi before agreeing specifically where I'm going and that the meter is on. And rarely if ever have a problem.

The issue I have here is actually getting into the taxi in the first place when a succession of 5 or more taxi's just shake their head and drive on...

Granted this doesn't happen all the time, but more than 50% of the time the first Taxi refuses - it simply gets tiresome enough to warrant just stopping using regular taxi's where possible.

One of the biggest hassles is waiting on the side of the road in the heat not knowing if the 1st taxi or the 7th will accept you as a fare... UBERx on the other hand pull right up to your condo / apt or wherever you are (or have agreed to meet them) - its better, safer, easier and with UBERx similarly priced.

I do agree with your point on the Airport charge - UBER Black charge B1000. This charge beats AOT but not a regular taxi. I'm not sure what UBERx charge.

GrabTaxi is still a much better option than flagging a Taxi down - the fact that the drivers details are registered (and yours) increases accountability and reduces the possibility of issues.