I am Speaking Pidgin Tinglish !

I played back a Skype video message I left for someone today and I was embarrassed to find my English to Thai speak was sounding remarkably like the pidgin tinglish so many farangs speak with their Thai.

In the past I have made fun and mocked others who do it.

Yet now here am doing the same myself.

• Like 2

God!!!!! I hate when im with my buddies Nz rhey have been here for close to three decades.....and when they speak Thai thwh sound like cartoons......I want to strangle them....and when they come over for dinner.......STOP......were not on sesame street........tip....bar girl thai...makes you sound like an idiot.

Exactly.

We all need to carry a voice recorder and analyse weekly

And the problem is? In New Guinea they created a new language when they accepted Pidgin! In VN during the war if you didn't speak Vietglish you just didn't communicate as Vietnamese is more difficult to pronounce than Thai!

It's pretty boring trying to speak perfect Thai when the locals don't even try! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

The problem is I sound a complete t.wat speaking tinglish. Anyone does

• Like 1

Nah, the problem comes later, when you start to have sentences that are half Thai and half English words mixed together, confuses the hell out of a lot of Thais.

I always speak like that with my wife 50% Thai % 50% English facepalm.gif

...but I'm not a native English speaker si I HAVE more excuses biggrin.png

... by the way my wife same same

Edited by Tchooptip

I'm stumped by "English to Thai speak"...

Is that Pidjin for "English as I speak it to Thai people" or "Thai as I translate it from English"?

If the former, I've found any Thai who can speak Tinglish can understand the real thing well enough anyway. If the latter, I wouldn't worry about it. The way you sound to yourself when you listen to a recording is not necessarily reflective of the impression you leave on Thai ears in real time...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And the problem is? In New Guinea they created a new language when they accepted Pidgin! In VN during the war if you didn't speak Vietglish you just didn't communicate as Vietnamese is more difficult to pronounce than Thai!

It's pretty boring trying to speak perfect Thai when the locals don't even try! alt=thumbsup.gif>wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

The problem is I sound a complete t.wat speaking tinglish. Anyone does

You got that right, a complete t,wat . One such t.wat , about 60 comes her 3 months a year and babbled like that to me. He claims he speaks like that when back in the UK but he can not help it. Yep, complete idiotic .w00t.gif

Edited by Jimbolai
  • Like 1

An occupational hazard of living here, no Thai speak, mai chow jai...

Is living here an occupation?

Judging from a lot of the posts on TV, many farang weren't all that eloquent when they first arrived ... though some seem to find the really trivial things highly amusing.

Ha ,ha,hahaaaa,i laughed so hard i nearly fell of my chair,could this one actually beat " a funny thing happened to me at home pro today ' thread,keep it up, Bucking Bronco,we need more like you on the forum.

Amazing.

• Like 1

I tried to ask the boss at my local pub as he speaky a nitnoi English how much a battery was for my Toyota Virus. After a lot of waving of arms he said " Oh battely "

This is what they are called of course. Back to the wifes favourite icer teem 'lum and laison '

• Like 1

When we first met walking round Pattaya I asked the gf, "are you hungry" She replies."lateron"

OK we'll eat later on then. This happens a couple more times until I reply, "I'm hungry, fancy a restaurant (lateron)" DOH!

Seven years later this afternoon in BiG C she wants some Lits biscuits! Eh? Oh Ritz!

Another gem from the song, "She don't like, she don't like OK?" laugh.png

Edited by Brian Robson
  • Like 1

It's pretty boring trying to speak perfect Thai when the locals don't even try! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Oh, so that's why they still don't understand you; your Thai is too perfect! wai.gif

Never met a farang who could speak proper thai. Never ever.

I'm quiet fluent in thai , not perfect, but everybody understands it, everywhere. I only speak thai, to everybody at any occasion, exept sometimes with my daughter, i don't want her to forget swiss-german, where she has grown up. And that's maybe the point; native english speakers have much more problems to pronounce the thai vowels and vowelcombinations. You have to get to the point of thingking in thai, not translating it. Over the decades I have met some farangs speakting quiet proper thai, but yes, none of them a native englsih speaker.

• Like 1

Yes, been there, and got lambasted for it. It does nobody any good, perpetuates the problem, and makes us farang look like fawning syncophants, groveling to get into the good graces of Thais - and into her pants.. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

God!!!!! I hate when im with my buddies Nz rhey have been here for close to three decades.....and when they speak Thai thwh sound like cartoons......I want to strangle them....and when they come over for dinner.......STOP......were not on sesame street........tip....bar girl thai...makes you sound like an idiot.

WOW..! I can't even understand what you wrote so I would guess your Tinglish would be a lot worse but then again it might be better.

why dont native speakers get it... speak clear and correct english to non-native speakers. amend your speaking speed, grammar and vocabulary to suit the english level of the recipient.

hearing clear and correct english will help the non-native speakers to become aware of their mistakes and improve their english.

though how anyone can have a relationship with a non-native speaker who cant use, the very least, the verb to be and past simple and past continuous baffles me.

Never met a farang who could speak proper thai. Never ever.

So many farang absolutely refuse to learn to speak Thai. Intonations in the language are beyond many.

I have a good friend that speaks great Issan Thai and even better Lao after living there 5 or 6 years, yet his Thai is hard for me to understand - I speak (what I call) street Thai, everyone, and I mean every Thai I have ever had a conversation with, understands me. I've never been to a class, just picked it up over the years, works for me............colleagues do tell me I slow down when I speak English to a Thai.......works for them, but drives my friends crazy. I agree with Braddockrd, I have never heard a European, Russian or American, even my Military Linguists that spent a year in School, speak 'Fluent Thai'........I will say Thai is much easier than Vietnamese, but I can read Vietnamese, can't read Thai. thumbsup.gif