Am I having too much fun?

Tapster

All good stuff, thanks!!

We live in Rawai.

If anyone is looking for an activity buddy, please pm me. I'm up for anything except things that load knees heavily, like running, tennis, squash and badminton (shame, as I love badminton). After years of climbing and mountain activities my knee cartilage is in short supply!

Enmarie and I are in the process of learning to kite surf. Also I have a kite buggy here in Phuket for land use and several power kites for it. I like mountain biking (not very fit at the moment) and a few friends and I are starting to explore the available rock on Phuket for climbing and bouldering.

So if anyone is interested to try any of this stuff, or needs a willing accomplice for anything else, contact me.

biggrin.png

@Poweratradio

I'm struggling to see what's in it for you to suggest that all I'm after is gossip.

I've made it clear what I was trying to achieve in the thread. Everyone seems to get it, nobody has posted any gossip and even if they did, what would it prove?

Who knows what's going on in your mind but I get the feeling that you might like to see this very positive and friendly thread devalued somehow by revealing me to have had some selfish, ulterior motive in starting it.

Not today, mate!

We're just happy guys here!

thumbsup.gif

All good stuff, thanks!!

We live in Rawai.

If anyone is looking for an activity buddy, please pm me. I'm up for anything except things that load knees heavily,

<snip>

If you like long walks up a steep mountain (good road), then I recommend a walk up Khao To Sae (Monkey Hill) in Phuket Town.

A third the way up you can park at the temple and then walk the rest - about 30 minutes. The quickest I ever did it from there was 18 minutes. There are great views, lots of monkeys (hungry), friendly dogs (more hungry) and a refreshment "sala" at the top-most viewpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After reading all the helpful replies and having a think, Enmarie and I have decided to give up all alcohol for three months and see how we feel after that.

We started on Songkran day which was a bit hard but I already feel a bit less blobby and have energy in the afternoons rather than sleeping through them!

We'll see how we feel on 13th July!

Yay!

Update:

After reading all the helpful replies and having a think, Enmarie and I have decided to give up all alcohol for three months and see how we feel after that.

We started on Songkran day which was a bit hard but I already feel a bit less blobby and have energy in the afternoons rather than sleeping through them!

We'll see how we feel on 13th July!

Yay!

Good luck. First 3 months are the hardest but it gets much easier from then on. Waistline smaller and wallet fatter.

Too right, Monsieur Grumpy!

However, even on day 5,monotony is turning into having more useful time in the day to do things.

Also, you're right about the kilos. I'm currently 12 kilos over my normal weight. I've lost half a kilo already.

Immediate increase in feelings of self worth, rather than self loathing, waking up after another afternoon /night when I overindulged, sometimes not remembering the latter part.

I don't think I'll ever stop drinking entirely but I'm resetting my clock, getting a perspective on the benefits of not being at least a little drunk every day so that I can re-introduce booze at a level that's fun and doesn't take over my life.

If it gets too much again, I'll stop for a while again. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

Sure OP, no need to completely stop but just set some rules and have some discipline, i.e. pick three days a week where you don't drink at all. Don't drink before 6pm, try to have fun with it as opposed to being completely obliterated which messes up your next day with the big hangover.

Anyway, GOM's 2 satangs worth.......

@Herr Hans und GOM,

Boisterous visitors from the UK have sabotaged our plan, for we didn't know how to share their last night without drinking with them. As a result of their drinking, one of them is at Phuket Bangkok Hospital right now, having his shin stitched after blundering into a friend's Koi pond!

They fly home tomorrow and booze stops for five weeks until our next two visitors arrive.

I really hate the idea of giving things up, but I'm feeling that I'd be better off not drinking than trying to control it. I like it too much when I next do it.

The experiment continues after tonight!

Yup, just dropped them off at the airport and I'm now enjoying a relaxing coffee, free from the responsibilities of a host!

Yay!

I know that pain. If i have to go to Big Buddha again this year I'll scream. I've probably taken people to see it about 5 times since new year.

• 3 weeks later...