Tour recommendations?

hiccups

can anyone recommend a good way to get a tour of Chiang Rai? Not just a touristy type thing, but with the idea of showing us the different areas to think about living, and where the day to day needs are, and maybe a look at some beautiful places we might not see on our own. Is there a tour group or person that arranges this kind of retirement tour?

I am unaware of any local tour companies who specialize in non-tours. You might try a real estate company as they will probably include much of the information you want in their sales pitch.

Chiang Rai proper is not very big or difficult to navigate but if you want to explore the entire Chiang Rai province then it does become a bigger undertaking.
There really aren’t any secret undiscovered beautiful places to be found in Chiang Rai. You could start looking for the already known places by looking over some of the topics on this forum like the map and the images of Chiang Rai topics pinned at the top of the page. There is also a top 50 must see places in Chiang Rai province topic you might want to look at.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652206-top-50-must-sees-in-chiang-rai-province/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254852-google-map-for-chiang-rai/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607895-images-of-chiang-rai-2013/

• Like 1

While it is understandable that you might be anxious about your impending move to Chiang Rai and require assurances from those who live here, it would be nice if you were to nod your head or offer some utterance from time to time, to let us know you are listening.

• Like 1

Pay attention to what village farang recommend..He is a Chiang Rai veteran and a good adviser.

I am new in Chiang Rai, but I personally like 2 areas, Bandu and Mae Chan, 20 and 30 minutes away from Big C, Central Plaza, and Chiang Rai downtown in the way to Mae Sai. Surrounded by mountains, very close to the airport, the immigration office, the best 2 universities in Chiang Rai, the Rajabhat and Mae Fa Luang Universities. Few minutes away from Makro, and Lotus. Many attractions and water parks around, and Doi Tung, close to Mae Sai and the border with Myanmar.

• Like 1

I just made this post yesterday. Sorry im not responding frequently enough. I figured the next day would be acceptable. Thank you for your initial post, i appreciate your ideas.

I'd be careful about real estate agents around here. They'll show you what they want, not necessarily what you want. And they lie like hell!

Drive around for yourself. You won't get lost.

Keep checking this, and other internet forums, for leads (send me a PM for links). And ignore these self-important members. bah.gif We do. cheesy.gif

I like living east of town but it is not a popular choice. Oddly enough that is a major reason I like it. There is less development, it is a pleasant 50 km drive to town and the population is almost entirely Northern Thai with a smattering of Isaan villages scattered about. There are very few foreigners, ethnic minorities or religious minorities in close proximity to where we live.

The northern corridor is very busy but that may mean more options. Living south of town will shorten the trip to Chiang Mai if you are considering popping over there from time to time. West of town is more mountainous which attracts some people. Housing estates work for another segment of the population.
Wherever you look, I might suggest looking around to see where the temple, school, market and loudspeakers are located, and then try to be as far as possible from those places.
Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Those are some great pointers. It gives us some good starting points for searching for a rental house. Right at first, we will most likely get something super cheap, short term, while we get to know the areas and hunt for a good deal. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Bandu is mainly an university area, that why is plenty of cheap "dormitory" buildings where you can find a nice hotel type furnished room from 1800 to 3000 a MONTH with FREE parking, WIFI, water, etc. Also you can find a nice small furnished townhouse or brand new condos with everything, even plasma TV, for 4500 a MONTH. Houses rentals vary, from 5000 to 10000 depending size and location. On Syntanee 5, a gated community, you can find nice houses for rent, but most over 10000 a month rent. Bandu has a beautiful public park with water fall, public thermal water pools and massage services. Inside the university is a Olympic size pool and complete gym open to the public, and the university park and lake, where we walk our dogs sometimes. The main road connecting Chiang Mai downtown with Mae Sai passing close to the airport and immigration offices, it is not very busy allowing to drive easily in both ways. Also is the same road that go to Phayao and Chiang Mai passing by the White Temple. Very good restaurants around in Bandu, and on the road to the Airport and the Chiang Rai United Football Stadium next door. The new and big Holland Beer, the well known Krua Silapa Restaurant and Art Gallery by a beautiful and landmark temple, and the famous Black House Park and Art Gallery. Bandu have 3 Buddhist temples. By the road the enclosed city market is very convenient, and Bandu hold also several open markets EVERY day of the week. All the car's popular brands dealership have facilities in Bandu area. Makro and Lotus supermarkets very close, and looks like also Big C is coming. You can see...I love here.

An excellent testimonial for why Bandu, north of town, is popular.

• Like 1