whats the latest apple mac laptop for sale?

ghworker2010

The last post on this tread that talks about whether the new macbook and macbook pro is in the retail stores here was about two weeks ago. Does anyone know if they have arrived? I would like to compare the new macbook with the macbook pro with retina display side-by-side to see whether the 13.3" screen on the pro makes a big difference compared to the 12" screen on the macbook. I think this is what it will come down to for me. Though I must add that I think Apple went a bit far in reducing the number of ports on the new macbook.

The last post on this tread that talks about whether the new macbook and macbook pro is in the retail stores here was about two weeks ago. Does anyone know if they have arrived? I would like to compare the new macbook with the macbook pro with retina display side-by-side to see whether the 13.3" screen on the pro makes a big difference compared to the 12" screen on the macbook. I think this is what it will come down to for me. Though I must add that I think Apple went a bit far in reducing the number of ports on the new macbook.

I would seriously check some reviews about this on YouTube first. To me, this new MacBook is basically an iPad with a keyboard. It is very expensive for what you get & the processor is probably only good for web browsing & emails etc. If you are using it for work I would stick with a pro or air.

It constantly amazes me how people ask questions here which could and should be readily answered by making use of search engines.

It's supposed to be a community forum, so people ask other community members for opinions or advice.

I'm amazed that concept constantly amazes you. smile.png

Edited by Banzai99

The Air does not have enough ports and no slots for a CD - but you can get an external thingie that - natch - costs.....

Apple do not do anything that they can't soak you for.

Have you ever seen an Air? It's an ultrabook (thin, light, designed for maximum portability) - no-one buys an ultrabook to sit on a desk with a bunch of USB peripherals plugged in wink.png

If you are going to tether your notebook to a desk, buy a macbook or a macbook pro, which have more ports. Or, if you really don't need a portable, buy an iMac, Mac Mini or a Mac Pro.

Get the right tool for the job, as they say wink.png

All that said, what USB peripherals would you actually want to use with it?

It has a keyboard and mouse built right in, and if they aren't enough, go get bluetooth ones that are actually convenient to pack-up and unpack as you move. Buy a printer/scanner that supports Airprint and the only thing it ever needs to be connected to is power. For gaming, again just use bluetooth controllers. Maybe you want to use an external DAC? Well, here's the good news - all Apple's have awesome sound quality, so go ahead and sell it - or buy an AVR that supports Airplay and send the raw digital audio stream from your PC to it over wifi.

What are we down to now? Flash drives? Just plug it in to the supplied USB port smile.png

Or use a WIFI enabled one... http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/wireless/flash-drive/

:)

Edited by JB300

The Air does not have enough ports and no slots for a CD - but you can get an external thingie that - natch - costs.....

Have you ever seen an Air? It's an ultrabook (thin, light, designed for maximum portability) - no-one buys an ultrabook to sit on a desk with a bunch of USB peripherals plugged in wink.png

If you are going to tether your notebook to a desk, buy a macbook or a macbook pro, which have more ports. Or, if you really don't need a portable, buy an iMac, Mac Mini or a Mac Pro.

Get the right tool for the job, as they say wink.png

All that said, what USB peripherals would you actually want to use with it?

It has a keyboard and mouse built right in, and if they aren't enough, go get bluetooth ones that are actually convenient to pack-up and unpack as you move. Buy a printer/scanner that supports Airprint and the only thing it ever needs to be connected to is power. For gaming, again just use bluetooth controllers. Maybe you want to use an external DAC? Well, here's the good news - all Apple's have awesome sound quality, so go ahead and sell it - or buy an AVR that supports Airplay and send the raw digital audio stream from your PC to it over wifi.

What are we down to now? Flash drives? Just plug it in to the supplied USB port smile.png

Or use a WIFI enabled one... http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/wireless/flash-drive/

smile.png

Interesting- haven't seen these before - thanks :)

I use this in my DSLR though - very handy: http://www.toshiba.com/us/wifi-memory-cards

Who uses CDs any more? I haven't touched one of those things in 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Who uses CDs any more? I haven't touched one of those things in 4 years.

if your a teacher you will use CD's often. CDs are in the back of most educational books and necessary to play audio files

"The link above says the new macbook pro is coming soon. Does anybody know when this will be released?"

Apple will host its 2015 Software Developer's Conference on June 6th. There's a lot of speculation that new MacBook Pro products will be announced then.

They already updated the 13"Macbook Pro about six weeks ago at the same time they launched their new lightweight 12" Macbook. The rumoured update tomorrow or June (at Apple's annual conference, WWDC) is for the 15" Macbook Pro.

Also rumoured at WWDC is a new AppleTV media box, and maybe other stuff. Apple tend to keep their cards close to their chest on these things.

Except they're not available for order yet.

'15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display pending regulatory approval'

Any idea how long it'll take for approval here? My 2011-era MBA is overdue for an upgrade :)

Except they're not available for order yet.

'15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display pending regulatory approval'

Any idea how long it'll take for approval here? My 2011-era MBA is overdue for an upgrade smile.png

I am also checking this by the hour. On many other Apple websites they are already available for order.

Can someone help me out here?

I have a late 2013 15" MBPr with 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB flash storage, and a 2GB Nvidia GT 750M..

What's the reason(s) I'd update to the new MBPr which has a 2.5GHz i7, and a 2GB Radeon R9 M370X?

It seems like a step backwards, other than the new touchpad which doesn't carry any real weight for me?

I have a late 2013 15" MBPr with 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB flash storage, and a 2GB Nvidia GT 750M..

What's the reason(s) I'd update to the new MBPr which has a 2.5GHz i7, and a 2GB Radeon R9 M370X?

It seems like a step backwards, other than the new touchpad which doesn't carry any real weight for me?

OK, as I thought... it's a head-scratcher ;)

I think I'll wait until they release a properly improved model :D

You might get more info. by asking on an Apple specific forum like Macrumors.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the ones in store now the latest for this year, or are there more expected soon?

There's some internet rumors of another refresh with the Intel Skylake processors sometime later this year. I'll be waiting for that release before updating mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the ones in store now the latest for this year, or are there more expected soon?

There's some internet rumors of another refresh with the Intel Skylake processors sometime later this year. I'll be waiting for that release before updating mine.

Really not worth updating before - my mid 2012 retina MacBook Pro is faster than the lowest end 15" retina you can buy today. Intel apparently asleep at the wheel. I'll also wait for skylake.

Looked at the MacBook - it's beautiful. So much so that it makes all older Mac models look old and tired. So I am hoping for a 15" version at the end of the year.

The new mac book is available online, delivered all taxes paid in thailand, I bought one and love it, had it six weeks ago

Only problem no technical support in thailand well at least in northern half of country

If I knew what I know now would not have bought

A PRODUCT ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS SUPPORT

The new mac book is available online, delivered all taxes paid in thailand, I bought one and love it, had it six weeks ago

Only problem no technical support in thailand well at least in northern half of country

If I knew what I know now would not have bought

A PRODUCT ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS SUPPORT

Apple give online support via call or chat if that is any good to you. I used it a couple of weeks ago to sort a problem.

Filled an online form including phone number, details of computer, and problem, and they call me back within minutes.

Or you can "chat" via IM with Apple support if you prefer.

You can find it on their website.