Russia, Thailand sign cooperation pacts

webfact

Besides a strategic location in Asia, what does Thailand really have that the US really needs?

Honest question.

Well the strategic location is worth a lot.....Lao, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam....all were often not so US friendly. If Thailand would be unfriendly that would be a big place. With Thailand US friendly they can spy on all these. + it is on the doorstep to China.

So the strategic location might be (in the long range) more worth than it seems. In the Vietnam war it was helpful, Thais soldiers also fought in the Vietnam war. It was useful when USA supported Pol Pot. It was useful to support uprisings in Myanmar. It was useful for secret torture...but that could be done in many countries. That all isn't important at the moment, but in 10 years it can change again.

You can bet your last $ that should China continue to push the territorial issues, the countries you mention will be all to happy to be friendly to the USA.

I am not aware that Lao, Mynamar, Cambodia, Malaysia have any poor relations with the USA, but i could well be wrong.

You give any of those countries the chance of doing deals with the USA and all that involves, and i can guarantee, the wealthy decision makers would be banging down the USA's door rather than working wit China or Russia!

• Like 1

Well the strategic location is worth a lot.....Lao, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam....all were often not so US friendly. If Thailand would be unfriendly that would be a big place. With Thailand US friendly they can spy on all these. + it is on the doorstep to China.

So the strategic location might be (in the long range) more worth than it seems. In the Vietnam war it was helpful, Thais soldiers also fought in the Vietnam war. It was useful when USA supported Pol Pot. It was useful to support uprisings in Myanmar. It was useful for secret torture...but that could be done in many countries. That all isn't important at the moment, but in 10 years it can change again.

Thailand's strategic location vis-a-vis China is the only thing that is of importance to the US.

The Americans have a long history of supporting dictators when it is to their advantage.

The recent diplomatic calls for a 'return to democracy' are crass hypocrisy.

• Like 1

Damn, they make a great pair together. The same ideals lurk under the sheep skin.

Maybe here for a loan, or perhaps he just wants to buy a condo in south Jomtien ? A vacant possession.

so what exactly is Russia getting out of this?

Who cares?

But the USA and EU are getting a sting up their ass out of this.

What sting are the USA and EU getting?

Greece.

• Like 1

Off topic I know, but the flight recorder from the Germanwings crash was quickly recovered from the scene and told the story. MH17s wreckage lay scattered over a large area, was thoroughly picked over (some reports say looted) by pro Russian Milita, and when its box was recovered it only revealed that the aircraft was shot down.

Edited by JAG

Every single time Russian military hardware has gone head to head against Western military hardware, the Russian junk has been smoked. But let Thailand spend its money on whatever it wants. There is only one big potential enemy in the region, China. And the Chinese will just gradually move in until the borders are erased all but formally.

Besides a strategic location in Asia, what does Thailand really have that the US really needs?

Honest question.

I don't see the strategic location part as no one really has a major presence in Thailand other than the private sector.

The US has been moving back into Clark AFB and Subic Bay in the Philippines, and has Diego Garcia. It also has 11 major carrier groups and a couple of them are always nearby.

The PM can't win this one as the US is Thailand's largest trading partner and the EU combined is right up there. The PM is looking for legitimacy but he isn't going to find it in the West. If he prefers China and Russia as his next best pals he's welcome to them. If he thinks that flirting with Russia and China will sway the West he's wrong. It will sway them the wrong way.

• Like 1

What if the Chinese move into northern Thailand from over the Lao border and establish a trading concession? What are the Thais going to do about it? Who are they going to ask for help? Don't laugh about the prospects. China is already doing this on its direct border with Bhutan and India.

• Like 1

The show that Russia is not isolated for supporting the freedom fighters in Ukraine.

Thailand shows it isn't isolated for having a coup.

Showing the USA that there are different options....China, Russia.....

Interesting is that there are no talks about military cooperation. Thailand could buy some new toys?

Tu-95 maybe?

If you really really truly believe that getting into bed particularly with Russia over more traditional allies is a proactive and good long term step for Thailand then you are completely clueless.

A cursory glance at Russian standards of living throughout the country will tell you all you need to know about how Russia has been run over the years, and that is not to mention their current decline.

Obviously making agreements with Russia and China can bring some benefits to the country, the same as making mutually beneficial agreements with any countries, but doing this and risking ties with other nations is not a good step for the country.

There is a reason why all of the jet set well healed Russians, Chinese and Thais disappear to Europe and US for their education, to live, holiday homes, business etc Its because they are generally orderly, civilized, safe and enjoyable places to be, relax and do business.

I would caution (not that they care) this Government to tread very carefully diplomatically with severing ties and aligning closely with others at their expense to try and prove some kind of point or gain acceptance.

Actually it is more the USA who is pushing Thailand out of the bed.....It is not that Thailand started to cool down the relations. Naturally that Thailand is getting more friendly with other powers.

That the current US government is cooling down the relations with Thailand is in my opinion a strange move....

What has Russia to offer.....tourists, purchase of frozen chicken, good weapons and military training...that isn't much. Nuclear power stations and Vodka they produce but else I can't think of any great Russian products.

China is of course another case...Industrial heavyweight.

Honest question.

Right! I don't think the Americans have Thailand very high on their priority list...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who cares?

"The USA and EU are getting a sting up their ass out of this." What is the basis, factual basis, for this statement? Or is this just one more Costagram?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who cares?

"The USA and EU are getting a sting up their ass out of this." What is the basis, factual basis, for this statement? Or is this just one more Costagram?

US and EU, more so US has been trying very hard to isolate Russia.

Thailand doing deal with Russia takes away arms sales from US and EU

Just 2 i can think of at the top of my head

Who cares?

"Thailand doing deal with Russia takes away arms sales from US and EU."

What arm sales? This is rubbish.

I understand the history and the strategic location, but if the US really wanted to cosy up to say Cambodia or even Vietnam, in the same way they historically did to Thailand, I wonder how the Thais would react.

The US need good friends in SEA, but this marriage has soured.

They both have different friends, interests and want different things now. Thailand is being courted by someone prepared to give them more, on the surface, in China and Russia, and we all know how Thais react when someone wants to give them more - they move on pretty quickly.

I'm not sure Thailand have thought this through for the long term.

I understand the history and the strategic location, but if the US really wanted to cosy up to say Cambodia or even Vietnam, in the same way they historically did to Thailand, I wonder how the Thais would react.

The US need good friends in SEA, but this marriage has soured.

They both have different friends, interests and want different things now. Thailand is being courted by someone prepared to give them more, on the surface, in China and Russia, and we all know how Thais react when someone wants to give them more - they move on pretty quickly.

I'm not sure Thailand have thought this through for the long term.

Long Term = 24 hours.

Who cares?

"Just 2 i can think of at the top of my head."

Perhaps the top of your head is not the locus of your thought processes.