Thailand to develop tourist spots to attract more Russian visitors

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a tourist venue and meet Russian tourists once in awhile. I hear stories of Russkies in southern beach resorts acting badly and getting drunk. But I don't see those type of Russkies, because my venue is outdoors and wholesome fun for the whole family - therefore I see the good end of the spectrum. As for 'weight-loss' programs, I bet dollars to donuts all those proposed or existing venues will have the same sugar-laden fattening crap on hand, as you find all over Thailand. It's like having an emphazema ward (cancer of the lungs) with cigarette machines. There are two reasons why there are so many fat people everywhere: lack of exercise, and SUGAR.

Good post. I thought the Russians went to the Black Sea, to be coated in mud. That's what they were doing the last time I was there. Also, of course, it would be much cheaper than coming to a specific, so far unidentified zone' of Thailand to lose weight.

I agree, the Russians I met were quite normal people.

I've often wondered why a Chinese or Russian group did not buy a large chunk of land in, say Krabi or closeby, and build "Chinaland" or "Russialand" complete with their own hotels, restaurants, beach clubs, supermarkets, clubs and do what they like.

Someone with money and influence could schedule flights to Krabi and shuttle their people back and forth from the airport and they could make the bulk of the money rather than share it with the Thai hotels, restaurants and bars.

...and they could still have a fat clinic if they wanted.

They have. It's called Jomtien. Next to Pattaya. Has everything Russian including hitmen.

Jomtien-Murder-of-Two-Russians.png

It always amazes me to see that TAT is up to the challenge. Previously when the PM went to India and returning to Thailand suggesting to develop tourism from that country TAT had a plan for wedding venues that would drive Indians in large groups to Thailand. Now the PM did meat the Russian President and discussed strengthening the relations between Russia and Thailand and TAT has a plan to get more Russian tourists into the country.

It looks to me that TAT is always one step behind the PM when announcing there great plans. Reality is they have no vision and no clues and live by the book that has been written somewhere but certainly not in Thailand.

Tourists are people with an expendable income and it doesn’t matter what country they are coming from they are looking for something they can’t get in their own country when booking a holiday. Thailand is blessed with beautiful beaches, islands and nature regions that are unique in the world. Maybe it would be a great idea to take stock of these regions and look how they are managed, because I believe that mismanagement of the regions and the arriving tourists is the biggest problem Thailand faces in developing a stable and growing tourist business.

People that have been to other holiday places in other countries might confirm that Thailand in the ability to take advantage of tourists is extreme, by permitting schemes that are not established to enrich a holiday for the tourist but for the local strongman to fill his pockets.

Certainly local business should profit from tourism but what tourist is willing to put another nickel or dime into the pocket of a Thai business when being ripped of as soon as getting of the plane and if that situation continues during the complete holiday? Tourists like to spend money but they also expect something back in return which seems fair in comparison to the amount they spend.

Why not have suggestion boxes in hotels at these resources that permit tourists to make suggestions what could be improved or they see as a fault in how tourists are managed? The suggestions and faults don’t have to be restricted to the hotels (which I found every time excellent when in Thailand) but also the local businesses around these resources that make a living of these tourists. Of course their will be suggestions and faults that are unreasonable but it will help to develop a source of information what tourists are looking for and what seems to bother them.

It would also help TAT when coming up with their next brainstorming idea how to get more tourists into Thailand.

Russian currency is down by 40%, making holidays in Thailand 40% and anywhere overseas more expensive for the average Russian and here TOT is focussing on that market with a ludicrous scheme.

Here's an idea - why not let tourists bring their own chairs to the beach versus lying in the sand? Oh, err no, thats now illegal of course............... I can tell you half of the beach going market has/will disappear as well by the end of 2015 and replacing that with obese Russians on a dietary holiday is a fine example on marketing insanity.

She is making herself more ridiculous by the day.

What is best for Thailand mr. general fire this lady.

She actually insulted Russian women in her official capacity.

This cannot be tolerated by any government.

She did not even take the time to think this one out.

Just incredible stupidity.

If you had followed the illustrious career of Madame Kobkarn, you wouldn't be surprised..........

Gaffe followed by gaffe follow........................................

To mention a few favorites:

Wristband for tourists (in case they should get lost and/or murdered)

Apply for the Olympic Games...............................whistling.gif

Oh, so that is why the Russian was here the other day pressing the flesh with Mr. P. What was the dialogue ? "Ok comrade you keep the umbrellas and chairs, but we get a Fat Farm, right ?"

FYI, that is not really a great photo for exhibiting the the Russian body beautiful. Both Nuggets there, and the fairy princesses. There are countries in this world where that attire would not be considered to be in good taste.

8 April 2015. If you have been around a crowd, or even a few,. Russian visitors you will heartily support any effort to a) deny them visas in the first place, B) restrict where they can go, c) offer low cost bariatric surgery to all Russian passport holders, and d) expedite immigration procedures on their exit. A less civilised, louder, and more rude people are not to be found in Thailand. They are horrors, not to be encouraged. But...Thailand needs the money, so they will continue to be welcomed by authorities. Just not be anyone else.

I've often wondered why a Chinese or Russian group did not buy a large chunk of land in, say Krabi or closeby, and build "Chinaland" or "Russialand" complete with their own hotels, restaurants, beach clubs, supermarkets, clubs and do what they like.

Someone with money and influence could schedule flights to Krabi and shuttle their people back and forth from the airport and they could make the bulk of the money rather than share it with the Thai hotels, restaurants and bars.

...and they could still have a fat clinic if they wanted.

they are doing this already, along with the koreans and other natnalities

they set up thier own jewelly shops , massage parlours , tour operators , restaurants etc etc

like the koreans who pay for a package tour in thier own country [no money into thailand ]

then come here and use vouchers to shop in thier own shops, have massage in thier own shops , go on tour with thier own operators eat thier own food

and very little income for any locals

they do this in many countries , not just thailand

It always amazes me to see that TAT is up to the challenge. Previously when the PM went to India and returning to Thailand suggesting to develop tourism from that country TAT had a plan for wedding venues that would drive Indians in large groups to Thailand. Now the PM did meat the Russian President and discussed strengthening the relations between Russia and Thailand and TAT has a plan to get more Russian tourists into the country.

It looks to me that TAT is always one step behind the PM when announcing there great plans. Reality is they have no vision and no clues and live by the bookarrow-10x10.png that has been written somewhere but certainly not in Thailand.

Tourists are people with an expendable income and it doesn’t matter what country they are coming from they are looking for something they can’t get in their own country when bookingarrow-10x10.png a holiday. Thailand is blessed with beautiful beaches, islands and nature regions that are unique in the world. Maybe it would be a great idea to take stock of these regions and look how they are managed, because I believe that mismanagement of the regions and the arriving tourists is the biggest problem Thailand faces in developing a stable and growing tourist business.

People that have been to other holiday places in other countries might confirm that Thailand in the ability to take advantage of tourists is extreme, by permitting schemes that are not established to enrich a holiday for the tourist but for the local strongman to fill his pockets.

Certainly local business should profit from tourism but what tourist is willing to put another nickel or dime into the pocket of a Thai business when being ripped of as soon as getting of the plane and if that situation continues during the complete holiday? Tourists like to spend money but they also expect something back in return which seems fair in comparison to the amount they spend.

Why not have suggestion boxes in hotels atarrow-10x10.png these resources that permit tourists to make suggestions what could be improved or they see as a fault in how tourists are managed? The suggestions and faults don’t have to be restricted to the hotels (which I found every time excellent when in Thailand) but also the local businesses around these resources that make a living of these tourists. Of course their will be suggestions and faults that are unreasonable but it will help to develop a source of information what tourists are looking for and what seems to bother them.

It would also help TAT when coming up with their next brainstorming idea how to get more tourists into Thailand.

A really good post that absolutely nails the problem's of tourism in this country. One major problem that stops them permitting tourists making suggestions is that the person/persons passing on these suggestions are ruled by the village head and if the suggestion has the possibility of reducing his income it will never be passed on.

There is an entire Tourism and Hospitality industry that has been developed here based on the use of English and the hope that some day Western standards might arise. With Russians on the way, that investment becomes useless. What a disaster for Thailand were this plan to ever take root, which it never will.

The Ministry of Tourism and and Sports and the Tourism Authority of Thailand are joining hands developing tourist spots in response particularly to Russian tourists' demands.

So . . . we should see more tourist spots with an overabundance of bars and hookers. Let's keep welcoming those quality tourists.

I can say in all my years of traveling, the only "vice" I have seen them partake in is whatever is the lowest price alcohol in a 7-11. If the country depended on them for supporting the "bars and hookers" you speak of, they would have about 8 rubles.....

Mate you are Absolutely right about the Russians they are "cheap Charles" they like to buy there beer from 7-11 and walk the streets of Pattaya Unlike us Aussies, pommies,Yanks...and so on that acutely spend money and tip the locals. Thai's are the thickest people that ever walked the earth 100% I am sure of that.

I guess the minister for tourism is eager to have any large number of tourists who will come .

I have read that both Russian and Chinese tourists can be unruly and troublesome .

If not Bangkok and Pattaya , what other cities might the be directed to Khon Kaen , Udon Thani , Chang mai , Nongkai .

Clinic resorts are generally luxurious and very expensive , also take limited numbers at a time .

I have never seen a more disrespectful group pf people than the Russians. The do not even like Thai people and certainly have no respect for your culture or customs. They only come here because you make it easy for them to come. They already took over your best beach resorts and now you want to develop more for them?

To make my point, ... do you ever see Russians in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, or anywhere in Isaan? .. but you see lots of other tourists there, that appreciate and respect your culture!

Way more scary than any Russians are the racist and stereotyping Thaivisa posters!!

What a sad bunch!!

Back home I had Russians working for me. Reliable, honest and very hardworking people.