Marijuana tourism continues to drive travel interest in Denver

webfact

Marijuana tourism continues to drive travel interest in Denver

DALLAS, TX - The travel impact of marijuana legalization has been a much debated topic, but for the second year in a row, Denver is expected to see heightened travel interest on and around April 20th according to Hotels.com.

In 2014, Denver saw a 73 percent year-over-year increase in hotel searches for check-ins during the April 20th weekend, which featured a number of organized marijuana events and music festivals, but coincided with the Easter holiday. While the date falls on a Monday this year, searches for check-ins during April 17-20 have surged yet again, rising over 60 percent over the same timeframe last year.

Denver also experienced an overall boost in popularity in 2014 as it became the 14th most popular domestic destination for Americans, according to the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index (HPI). The upward trend was seen across the state of Colorado with searches for the entirety of 2014 showing a 51 percent increase over 2013.

Similarly, the state of Washington has also seen an increase in travel interest since the recreational sale of marijuana was legalized in July of 2014.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/57428/marijuana-tourism-continues-drive-travel-interest-denver

-- eTN 2015-04-09

This is a great example of the sovereignty of US states, even if a person disapproves of mj. The Feds have their Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) which for a long time has tried to regulate the states. To some extent they do but not to the major extent.

In the 1930's there was federal prohibition against alcohol but today I don't think they'd get away with it. There have been too many Supreme Court rulings in favor of States' Rights.

I like a less powerful centralized government so I enjoy seeing states kick butt on the Feds here when the Feds tried so hard to stop this.

Slightly off topic, but allowing devolution of power and freedom of action to local levels actually increases the overall quality of life by giving people choices. Thus people flock to Denver, which is in marked contrast to the E.U where a centralized bureaucracy erodes local rights to self determination.
  • Like 1

This is a great example of the sovereignty of US states, even if a person disapproves of mj. The Feds have their Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) which for a long time has tried to regulate the states. To some extent they do but not to the major extent.

In the 1930's there was federal prohibition against alcohol but today I don't think they'd get away with it. There have been too many Supreme Court rulings in favor of States' Rights.

I like a less powerful centralized government so I enjoy seeing states kick butt on the Feds here when the Feds tried so hard to stop this.

Slightly off topic, but allowing devolution of power and freedom of action to local levels actually increases the overall quality of life by giving people choices. Thus people flock to Denver, which is in marked contrast to the E.U where a centralized bureaucracy erodes local rights to self determination.

You make a good point, but it ain't that simple ... which is why the American system has both states' rights AND a central (federal) government. Best example I know that shows this is the southern states having to be forced by the feds to give equal rights to it's negro citizens who were deliberately and systematically abused by white citizens and the state governments themselves.

Interesting is that Marijuana is legal in North Korea, was never banned.....They could have made some nice tourism.....now it is too late.....

So you want to give a country of starving citizens the munchies?

• Like 1

You make a good point, but it ain't that simple ... which is why the American system has both states' rights AND a central (federal) government. Best example I know that shows this is the southern states having to be forced by the feds to give equal rights to it's negro citizens who were deliberately and systematically abused by white citizens and the state governments themselves.

Feds have some power over the states, states have some power over feds, Its a balance which has tipped to far to the feds at the moment.

Why are we being subjected to News from America ???....I thought this was Thai Visa not American Visa

See where it says "world news"? This is news. In the world.

No, I don't...I saw the heading "latest news" but I suppose most Americans think that America is the world. Usually worthy news items get a mention in most news outlets and I doubt this item in question , would get a mention outside of Denver.

Do explain to me how the Netherlands that were part of the EU had different drug laws as other European countries. So laws like that are not governed by the EU.. Next time get some real info.

One of the countries bullying the Netherlands before about our drug laws was.. the USA.. and now cheesy.gif Seems the Dutch taught the Americans a thing or two.