Going home

I have been away from the UK for 14 years and have to return there with my two sons. I intend to go to Spain or France for 3 months beforehand so any government assistance I will get will be available as soon as I arrive. On arrival I will have nowhere to live apart from renting privately. Its all a bit scary. Whats the best course of action?

I'll have about £6000 on entering the UK.

Edited by manwithaplan2

I am not really sure about this topic but are you sure you will not have to do the habitual residence test to claim any means tested benefits? Again I am know expect but renting privately may be a bit difficult due to you not working and lack of references, Your best course of action could well be to contact the CAB and ask them for advice.

You can just return to the area you last lived in the UK, and apply for assistance immediately.

Give a good reason for returning, something beyond your control is generally best.

1 not having enough money for a VISA to remain is usually acceptable.

2 having your VISA terminated due to divorce is another.

You can immediately claim child benefit, child tax credit (if you get a part time job no matter how little the wage), housing assistance.

Child tax credit can be up to 15,000gbp per year, so well worth the effort of working 16hrs a week to qualify.

Child benefit for 2 kids, another 34gbp/week.

Don't bother with Spain, that will just run your money down quicker.

Don't bother to rent a place privately, you can get immediate emergency housing (usually B&B, then often rehoused within a month, with 2 kids you will get a minimum of a 2 bedroom flat. Two kids get you to the front of the queue.

They will ask about mum,

Ran off with another guy or immigration wouldn't allow her a VISA to the UK are usually the best answers.

(something beyond your control and not your fault)

PS

Good luck, look on the bright side,

At least the kids will go to nicer schools and have better health care.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

In work welfare benefits are the way forward.

Pull the cursor on the clip below through to 43:05 and look at the figures on the screen. With 16 hours a week on the minimum wage and (admittedly) three kids she earns £500 a month and gets £3,000 in benefits. You have to take that part time job, and (frankly) two long night shifts at a weekend in a supermarket/warehouse with someone to just be in the property with the kids is the best option. Having them sleep two nights when you're at work asks the least of your aunty/mother/friend (so they'll tolerate it long term), and you are (from their point of view) around all of the time, albeit knackered two days a week. biggrin.png

• Like 1

In work welfare benefits are the way forward.

Pull the cursor on the clip below through to 43:05 and look at the figures on the screen. With 16 hours a week on the minimum wage and (admittedly) three kids she earns £500 a month and gets £3,000 in benefits. You have to take that part time job, and (frankly) two long night shifts at a weekend in a supermarket/warehouse with someone to just be in the property with the kids is the best option. Having them sleep two nights when you're at work asks the least of your aunty/mother/friend (so they'll tolerate it long term), and you are (from their point of view) around all of the time, albeit knackered two days a week. biggrin.png

Not to mention your NI gets paid, and nobody is looking to force you to work more.

800gbp/week for 16 hours minimum wage work is a good deal.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Seems a lots less daunting now. So I can go to the council the day I arrive and get put somewhere on day 1? (as it shall be known, I may even start my own calendar)

My kids are not on any Tam bian baan so they are 100% British. They're 2 and 4 right now. Wouldn't they have to be with me if they aren't on a tbb? ie not Thai

" £117.47 Child tax credit

£73.10 Jobseekers Allowance.

£300.00 full Housing Benefit.

£34.40 Child Benefit

Total Entitlements £540.00

According to the information entered you are £24.97 over the benefits cap of £500.00 a week (Council Tax Support is not included in the cap). Your Housing Benefit entitlement of £300.00 shown above will be reduced to £275.03.

Total entitlements after benefits cap £515.03 "

Is what entitledto.co.UK said I would get, bearing in mind £300 a week for rent is high.

But if I worked 16 hours at minimum wage the tax credit would be £193.91 plus £104 earned income I would receive £620.

So £320 a week to feed and clothe myself and 2 kids. Just how expensive is it now? These figures seem huge.

Edited by manwithaplan2

The more I look into this the more interesting it gets. If work 16 hours, pay £200 a week childcare and have £250 rent to pay I would be entitled to £740 a week. Unreal.

Around 800 pounds a week (including your wage), with almost no deductions.

(no tax, tiny bit of NI)

Thanks guys. Seems a lots less daunting now. So I can go to the council the day I arrive and get put somewhere on day 1? (as it shall be known, I may even start my own calendar)

My kids are not on any Tam bian baan so they are 100% British. They're 2 and 4 right now. Wouldn't they have to be with me if they aren't on a tbb? ie not Thai

Birth certificate states nationality or parents and hence nationality of children.

If they were born in Thailand, with a Thai mother and you didn't register them at the Amphur, there's a big fine.

They are registered but the mother will take them off the book and they've got British passports. I don't have to register them in UK I believe, its automatic.

Not possible to take them off a house book, as far as I know.

They can only be moved to a different house book.

So what happens? They leave Thailand on Thai passports and check in with UK ones? Won't the authorities think they stay with me even with a letter from her? Can't I just go there and say these are my kids?

It's unlikely the Thai end will question you about leaving with the children.

You're just taking them on holiday if anyone asks.

If the children only have Thai passports you may have problems leaving the country with them without there mother, it is my understanding that Thailand has signed up to various conventions targeting child trafficking as Thailand is a know hub, I suggest you ask Mario 2008 for more information on this matter as he is very knowledgeable on this subject as well as family and custody issues.

Also how will they enter the country with Thai passports? strictly speaking as British citizens they cannot apply for British visa's and would need to either apply for a right of abode in their Thai passports or apply for their UK passports for which they will need their British passports which they currently do not posses, there have been various posts on this subject in the visa's to other country's forum.

Tony M is very knowledgeable on the last issue.

I think you need to resolve these issues before heading to the airport, I wish you good luck.

If the children only have Thai passports you may have problems leaving the country with them without there mother, it is my understanding that Thailand has signed up to various conventions targeting child trafficking as Thailand is a know hub, I suggest you ask Mario 2008 for more information on this matter as he is very knowledgeable on this subject as well as family and custody issues.

Also how will they enter the country with Thai passports? strictly speaking as British citizens they cannot apply for British visa's and would need to either apply for a right of abode in their Thai passports or apply for their UK passports for which they will need their British passports which they currently do not posses, there have been various posts on this subject in the visa's to other country's forum.

Tony M is very knowledgeable on the last issue.

I think you need to resolve these issues before heading to the airport, I wish you good luck.

Post #16 he say's they both have British Passports.........

Leave Thailand on their Thai passports, then enter the UK on their British ones, showing both to the airline at check-in, is how this usually works IME.

But that does mean that they need to have Thai passports too, not just British ones, apologies of the OP has said that they have both, and I missed it.

I took one of my dual-nationality sons (then aged 12) to the UK on a holiday-trip two years ago, and the Thai Immigration-officer in BKK did ask him 'is your mother aware that you're leaving Thailand with your Dad', fortunately he accepted our assurances that she was, and could see that we both had returning-to-Thailand tickets !

My kids are 4 and 2 right now, the eldest doesn't speak much Thai. Now its looking like the youngest will stay with mother for the time being.

2 kids is the magic earner,

You'll get half what I predicted with only one.

They won't be all that keen with providing housing either.

I see yeah.. I'd rather be working full time anyway. I'm sure the housing should be no problem. I'm more worried about getting a bank account, dentist etc.

Would I get benefits if I was in full time education at the open university but studying distance? That way I wouldn't mind the low benefits as long as I could study and look after my boy at home. Could even stay with someone if its only us two.

The more I look into this the more interesting it gets. If work 16 hours, pay £200 a week childcare and have £250 rent to pay I would be entitled to £740 a week. Unreal.

Correct - and the rest of us will keep paying tax to support you.

Correct - and the rest of us will keep paying tax to support you.

Yeah is unreal until you try it out,no chance ,should have kept your zipper up or the girl her legs together. Sick of people like you