700 Refugees Left Homeless After Fire Breaks Out in Ban Mae Nai Soi

Jacob Maslow

More than 700 Burmese refugees were left homeless after a fire broke out on April 7 in the Ban Mae Nai Soi camp. The International Rescue Committee is helping the camp in northern Thailand after the fire destroyed nearly 200 homes, a school and IRC health training facilities.

After being displaced by war, the 700 individuals sought refuge at the camp. Now, the fire has left refugees homeless once again. The community and officials are doing all they can to assist the displaced victims.

The camp is situated near the Myanmar border and is home to more than 13,000 refugees who are primarily Karenni refugees.

Quick fire response protocols prevented the fire from spreading further. The new protocols were put in place by the Thai authorities as well as the refugee camp.

While the blaze destroyed homes, no serious injuries or fatalities occurred. The cause of the fire is still unknown, but it is believed that cooking fires are to blame and were the cause of previous fires.

The refugees are living in homes made of bamboo with thatched roofs. When a fire breaks out, it can spread quickly from one home to another. IRC teams responded to the disaster immediately, sending over much-needed emergency supplies and personal hygiene items. The IRC is also working to ensure that refugees have enough clean water and latrines.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-12

I have just done a quick research on Int Rescue Committee.All they want is money and donations plus lobby your US senator blah blah blah.

I was looking for info about arranging for donations of clothing, dried food, pots, pans, baby requirements etc etc. If anyone has other info regarding sending real things to the real people rather than just money to the USA I'd love to help.

• Like 2

I would like to help and would be willing to go in person with a truck full of stuff leaving from Chiang Rai. Because of commitments I can't leave until after the 21st but if anyone knows who to contact in the area please let me know as well.

Thanks

I have just done a quick research on Int Rescue Committee.All they want is money and donations plus lobby your US senator blah blah blah.

I was looking for info about arranging for donations of clothing, dried food, pots, pans, baby requirements etc etc. If anyone has other info regarding sending real things to the real people rather than just money to the USA I'd love to help.

The IRC is one of the primary NGOs assisting the people at the Mae Nai Soi refugee camp which houses mostly Karenni refugees. The IRC works around the world on refugee issues and yes, some of the donations go to lobbying US Senators. The IRC was one of the lobbying groups that successfully lobbied the US State Department to allow refugees from the camps along the Thai-Burmese border to resettle in the United States. The IRC is also one of the very few groups, and the only non-denominational group to my knowledge, authorized by the US State Department to resettle refugees. So yes, donations to the IRC will not necessarily be spent entirely on pots and pans.

But, if you can get off your high horse, you can actually travel to Mae Hong Son and ask around in the Thai village of Ban Nai Soi and you might be able to find someone who can take your donations into the camp. I know one such a person but this is not the forum to make names public as refugee and IDP issues get politically complicated in Thailand. Take someone who speaks some Thai with you and ask around. One main contact speaks fluent English. Or maybe just go to the IRC office in Mae Hong Song town located just a few blocks from the town lake and ask for the best way to deliver goods. But remember, you will not be allowed inside the camp grounds.