Briton allegedly hits and kills Thai motorcyclist

Thaivisa News

Met a British guy at the Dubliner on Sukhumvit. He was nearly blind, looked like an old man, was walking with a cane and needed help to walk.

Asked him what happened to him.

Turned out he was younger than me, was in a tuk tuk, the tuk took was hit by a motor bike taxi, the tuk tuk swerved, he was thrown out onto the road and hit his head on the pavement causing brain injury

Was hospitilzed, given a bill, went to police stailtion after he regained consciousness,

no insurance from anyone, no help,

and told if he wasnt in Thailand it would not have happened to him, then shown the door.

This is why I won't drive a motor vehicle in Thailand.

I use MRT, and let the girls drive their own cars

Wait a minute, there seems to be more to the story, or the way the report was written is a bit confusing.

What speed was the car going that the body of the motorcyclist was 200m away from where the car stopped, with the "bike stuck at the front of the car"?

Must have been quite high speed, or the reaction of the driver was extremely slow. You can stop a car going 100km/h in way less than 200m!

Assuming the car went fast, it's hard to believe that a 68 year old rider would speed up to get in front of the car.

Seems to me that the car driver didn't see the slower motorcycle, maybe going way too fast. It's still the fault of the motorcyclist, though.

Then the car crashed into the motorcycle, she said. Don't know if it's poor English but wouldn't the motorcycle crash into the car if it was cutting in front of it?

Whatevr happened, it's sad to hear that the rider died, being one of many who will get killed in the next few days, as every year.

I had a similar accident once, a couple of years back.

A motorbike, on a Isaan Highway (2 lanes and the motorbike lane) in one direction, crossed from left motorbike lane to the outer right lane in which I was driving, without looking,

in a way and tight angle, that I could not avoid a accident.

I braked in a way, so, I could avoid to have him in front of me and go over him,

I braked a bit less strong, so he drove in my Pick up on the front left side and scratched my whole side, leaning with the motorbike on my car.

Than, as my car was gone, he fell down behind me, same a shot rabbit, made some rolls

and jumped up.

There was no traffic around me, but surely on that main highway any second was traffic again approaching, he was up, I drove on.

The damage, around 30.000 Baht was paid by my Number 1 insurance without any problem,

I had only a slightly different story. whistling.gif

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

Thank you. I somehow missed reading all of that in the article. whistling.gif

That comes with age -Never Sure- whistling.gif All written, between the lines.

Was about what I was driving, in my accident-story, see posting above. wai.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I was the motorbike riding victim 4 years ago.

Driving on a 4 lane high speed roadway in the right lane (passing/fast lane) overtaking a gravel truck who was also pulling a trailer. He was in the far left lane and, without signalling, pulled a u-turn across all lanes, cutting me off and causing me to run into him. I suffered severe injuries and was in hospital for 3 weeks.

Now starts the court process. I got a Thai attorney who came highly recommended: 30 years of practice and a law professor at the university. It was quite clear who was at fault and it certainly was not me. I paid my fee to the attorney to represent for the civil case as well as the criminal case. The court confiscated my passport during the criminal hearings also. After 4 months, the judge finally rendered his decision. Shared fault. He fined me 1,000 baht and sentenced the other driver to 1 year in jail. The pother driver appealed the verdict and, of course, had his sentence reduced to 20,000 baht fine. Yep. Oh, by the way, in his decision, because of shared fault, he also summarily dismissed my civil case. He ordered the other driver, and the company that the driver was working for who owned the truck, to pay me 30,000 baht for my medical. That's it. I have permanent nerve damage to my eye, my neck is f'd, my face is disfigured, I lost my ability to do my job back in the USA, and the Thai driver gets off scot-free because of corruption. I should have gotten a million baht, but the judge and police and probably my own attorney were all paid off for a fraction of what my settlement would have been.

Someone said in an earlier comment to not bash Thai drivers... Well, a Thai driver, and Thai court, completely screwed my life up. Yeah, Thailand is all smiles and fun until some idiot does something like this to you. There is no fairness or justice in this country. That's a fact.

Isn't it against Thai law for a m/c to be in the right hand lane?

They're always handing out tickets for that.

Wouldn't you driving in the wrong lane automatically result in a judgement of shared responsibility?

Sorry to hear about your accident, but just wondering.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

"bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do. "

?? You ever heard of ABS? Do you have an advanced driver's licence?

In, or even approaching, a collision, if avoidance is not possible for sure you slam the brakes and the judder of ABS stops you a lot more slowly and permits steering, without endangering anything. I don't know where you got your last statement from but it is complete BS.

Not all cars have ABS.

What's written is post collision, not pre.

Sorry for your misunderstanding. thumbsup.gif

It's a Camry, it has abs if it was made in the last 25 years.

I never saw the motorbikes stop using the sidewalk on Rachadapiszek by the MRT in the entire time I was there, only on certain morning's when the cops were there pulling over cars for registration sticker violations.

Never saw anything like that in my life, cops walking in between cars stopped at the red light and being told to pull over into the uturn lane to get their tickets

On several occasions I watched from an inconspicuous perch to see if there were any bribes being solicitated And I can report, all who were pulled over were given tickets