Briton allegedly hits and kills Thai motorcyclist

Thaivisa News

Wait a minute, there seems to be more to the story, or the way the report was written is a bit confusing.

What speed was the car going that the body of the motorcyclist was 200m away from where the car stopped, with the "bike stuck at the front of the car"?

Must have been quite high speed, or the reaction of the driver was extremely slow. You can stop a car going 100km/h in way less than 200m!

Assuming the car went fast, it's hard to believe that a 68 year old rider would speed up to get in front of the car.

Seems to me that the car driver didn't see the slower motorcycle, maybe going way too fast. It's still the fault of the motorcyclist, though.

Then the car crashed into the motorcycle, she said. Don't know if it's poor English but wouldn't the motorcycle crash into the car if it was cutting in front of it?

Whatevr happened, it's sad to hear that the rider died, being one of many who will get killed in the next few days, as every year.

By TVF default, it is always the fault of the nearest Thai.

Just was thinking how unfair all these accusations are. You have only the word of the driver and his wife....

The Thai is automatically wrong? We have seen many Thais driving poorly, but you cannot say this happened exclusively because of what we have seen others do. How about speeding...driving in the wrong lane...(those passing lanes are just that)... could have been some carelessness on both sides.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

Wow, that's some deduction.

• Like 1

We've all seen it a million times. Changing lanes, turning and merging without looking.

True...so very true.

After 25 years of observing how the Thais drive I have learned that the majority of them drive based on making moves that they are certain all the other drivers around them will observe and then give way accordingly and accommodate their movements.

Unfortunately all too often their sudden movements are noticed but there is no room for the other driver(s) to maneuver or stop in time.

Of course a scenario such as that can and does happen in every country....but I would surmise more so here in Thailand than most other countries....( Vietnam is worse for that kind of driving mentality )

Sudden turns to the left or right and more commonly pulling out into on coming traffic based on having the "room" to do so while they believe everyone else has to and or will accommodate their sudden movements as they make their move regardless of how close the other vehicles are to them.

As if they are fearless and do not think it will hurt them when the car body metal starts to fold in around them or when their body or head slams into the ground when they fly off their motorcycles.

Passing other vehicles, regardless of on coming traffic, is solely based on believing all the other drivers coming at them, in the opposite direction and in the opposite lane, will observe what they are dangerously doing and accommodate their dangerous movements and give way to their movements.

Meantime there very well could be another driver pulling off the same dangerous passing movement, coming in the opposite direction....or right behind them there is another driver pulling the same stunt and following their lead and near bumper to bumper behind while believing everyone around them will also see what they are doing and give way and also accommodate their dangerous movements.

You can see ahead, all the other cars coming at you in the opposite direction are drifting over to the edge of the road and giving way....as they do not have much choice as they are more or less forced to give way while some of the opposite direction cars are flying past with say 1 meter between the 2 cars......and then........ there is a motorcycle pulling off the same stunt coming in either direction trying to squeeze in-between before the 2 cars meet and pass one another.

It is an everyday occurrence and probably happens several thousand times a day throughout the country.

Defensive driving is NOT part of the Thai style driving culture

Cheers

• Like 1

so they stopped about 200 meter after the body, is that considered a safe distance from angry mobs ? we all know what they are capable off ... i guess if you see the crowd running towards you, it gives you some time to reflect and hit the gass peddle... there is no hard fines or hard time from driving away anyway, right ?

nice merit making, they can remember this the rest of their lifes, that they took some dumb ass person life on songkran... better go donate some money to the temple

A 68 year old on a motorcycle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here in Bangkok, whenever I am my car, I can see my driver having a hard time with the way his fellow locals motorcyclists are just wanting to die! I hope the Briton and his wife are ok and not extorted by the locals.

• Like 2

A few years ago I had a similar experience, with the exception the Thai motor-bike rider did not die. He did brake both legs.

After going for my insurance company for untold compensation, which he did not get, the end of the story is I got 2 years jail. My lawyer got the sentence suspended for 2 years.

The motor-bike rider pulled straight out in front of me, but in court, being a foreigner, I was slaughtered. My legal costs were not small. My eventual fine was minute. I had my passport confiscated, which meant I was unable to leave Thailand.

I had the floor wiped up with me. Why ? Because I was a foreigner. Was on a hiding for nothing from the moment of impact. The police dealt with the matter in a very 2-faced way.

As a regular car driver here, this worries me a lot. I have always believed stuff like this to be one of the many myths about living in Thailand. 2 years in jail, even if suspended, and confiscating a passport seems excessive for breaking someone's legs. Were your lawyers in on it?

Maybe not on this thread, but I'd like to read a more detailed account of your unfortunate experience. Did you post it here?

A few years ago I had a similar experience, with the exception the Thai motor-bike rider did not die. He did brake both legs.

After going for my insurance company for untold compensation, which he did not get, the end of the story is I got 2 years jail. My lawyer got the sentence suspended for 2 years.

The motor-bike rider pulled straight out in front of me, but in court, being a foreigner, I was slaughtered. My legal costs were not small. My eventual fine was minute. I had my passport confiscated, which meant I was unable to leave Thailand.

I had the floor wiped up with me. Why ? Because I was a foreigner. Was on a hiding for nothing from the moment of impact. The police dealt with the matter in a very 2-faced way.

As a regular car driver here, this worries me a lot. I have always believed stuff like this to be one of the many myths about living in Thailand. 2 years in jail, even if suspended, and confiscating a passport seems excessive for breaking someone's legs. Were your lawyers in on it?

Maybe not on this thread, but I'd like to read a more detailed account of your unfortunate experience. Did you post it here?

Amongst several other reasons....the possible accident reason is the one main reason I have never even given thought about owning and or driving a Motor Vehicle here in Thailand.

Basically ( IF ) you do have an accident with a Thai person you are going to be held accountable regardless of the circumstances and or who did what and or what actually happened and who is at fault.

If the Thai person does not have insurance then who will be paying??

If the Thai person did have insurance then the Thai drivers insurance company will be thinking the foreigners insurance company should pay....even if the Thai driver was at fault ..and no doubt about it and obvious to everyone...the foreigner should pay.

If the foreigner has Thai company motor vehicle insurance then there is a good chance his insurance company will not cover him and think the same as everyone else....the foreigner should pay.

I would go so far as to say that if you were simply the passenger in a motor vehicle accident there is a very real chance they would try to hold you accountable in some manner.....and or try to make you part with your money...because you were there...that is why.

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 2

I know of a similar story, a friend was knocked off his scooter in Pattaya by a lorry whose fault it was. He was in hospital with serious injuries and was forced to compensate the lorry driver by the police even though it was not his fault. When he was eventually well enough to travel he was medevac'd by BUPA to the UK and didn't return to Thailand. I also know of a Thai who was rear ended turning right and the police made him pay for damages to the other car when it was their fault for travelling too close.

I have a dash cam but I'm probably going to add a rear view cam as well because it makes me nervous seeing the speeds people are doing behind me when I'm sat at a red light, seen enough rear enders here. Eventually I think I will have to have a 360 deg google streetview cam strapped to the roof to record everything.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We've all seen it a million times. Changing lanes, turning and merging without looking.

True...so very true.

After 25 years of observing how the Thais drive I have learned that the majority of them drive based on making moves that they are certain all the other drivers around them will observe and then give way accordingly and accommodate their movements.

Unfortunately all too often their sudden movements are noticed but there is no room for the other driver(s) to maneuver or stop in time.

Of course a scenario such as that can and does happen in every country....but I would surmise more so here in Thailand than most other countries....( Vietnam is worse for that kind of driving mentality )

Sudden turns to the left or right and more commonly pulling out into on coming traffic based on having the "room" to do so while they believe everyone else has to and or will accommodate their sudden movements as they make their move regardless of how close the other vehicles are to them.

As if they are fearless and do not think it will hurt them when the car body metal starts to fold in around them or when their body or head slams into the ground when they fly off their motorcycles.

Passing other vehicles, regardless of on coming traffic, is solely based on believing all the other drivers coming at them, in the opposite direction and in the opposite lane, will observe what they are dangerously doing and accommodate their dangerous movements and give way to their movements.

Meantime there very well could be another driver pulling off the same dangerous passing movement, coming in the opposite direction....or right behind them there is another driver pulling the same stunt and following their lead and near bumper to bumper behind while believing everyone around them will also see what they are doing and give way and also accommodate their dangerous movements.

You can see ahead, all the other cars coming at you in the opposite direction are drifting over to the edge of the road and giving way....as they do not have much choice as they are more or less forced to give way while some of the opposite direction cars are flying past with say 1 meter between the 2 cars......and then........ there is a motorcycle pulling off the same stunt coming in either direction trying to squeeze in-between before the 2 cars meet and pass one another.

It is an everyday occurrence and probably happens several thousand times a day throughout the country.

Defensive driving is NOT part of the Thai style driving culture

Cheers

Yes the U turn's lanes at minimum on all main roads should be removed.I have worked in Taiwan, China and Malaysia. China has a very strange right of way law , basically right of way belongs to the vehicle that is "There" first., Also any accident is blamed on the "Larger" vehicle , If a lorry hits a car its the Lorries fault if a car hits a Pedestrian its the Cars fault ect , ect, Their roads are spectacularly dangerous its like living in a "People do the stupidest things" DVD. Malaysia and Taiwan pretty bad too , Taiwan lots of spoiled little rich kids , Malaysia 70 year old kampong Malays on Freeway motorbikes an families jammed into tiny Protons. But by far the most dangerous roads are the Thai Roads due to the U Turn lanes and make me cringe when I pass it and by far the most dangerous and unnecessary part of the Thai/Asian road network

According to this report, he hit the windshield and then ended up 200 meters away? There has to be more to the story.

Car going 120-140kph, hits motorbike, the rider hits the windshield and is thrown over the back, the motosai is lodged in the front of the car, the driver of the car tries to minimize the risk of a further collision or loss of control by slowly bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do.

"bringing the car to a halt in safe place and not jumping on the brakes and endangering himself and his family any more, like some inexperienced driver may do. "

?? You ever heard of ABS? Do you have an advanced driver's licence?

In, or even approaching, a collision, if avoidance is not possible for sure you slam the brakes and the judder of ABS stops you a lot more slowly and permits steering, without endangering anything. I don't know where you got your last statement from but it is complete BS.

Hit your brakes suddenly and you have the Thai who is tailgating you slam into the back of your vehicle.

Only hit you brakes suddenly in Thailand to stop yourself running up the back of another vehicle.

• Like 1

....my condolences to the deceased's family...

...but who is 'bashing' whom....

...in all the years that I have read about a Thai driver causing an accident...i.e. minivans....I have never read a headline saying "Thai driver kills 10 passengers"

....who died....and how...and why....

...I do not see that the car driver 'killed' the motorcycle driver....

...we read 'he suddenly veered right....in from on the path of the car...which was in the passing lane....with no chance for the car to stop in time'...

...and 68 years old.....???

...whose senses and reflexes should we put in question here....the 68 year old's or the 40 year old's....???

As expected some people here want to blame everything on Thai, but it doesn't matter whether or not rider cut in front of him, in this case Police will determine that Brit is at fault. It is very obvious that he was driving above the speed limit. Just like every other fatal crash case, they will conclude that if the Brit had not broken any traffic laws/regulations (speed limit in this case), he would had enough time to apply brakes avoid the collision. When a car got into an accident with motorcycle or pedestrian, it will almost always be driver's fault. Unless if you can prove that you didn't violate any traffic regulations and there was nothing can be done to avoid it, which is very difficult. All drivers including Thais and farangs always violate something, especially driving above the speed limit and cross solid white line.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

Amongst several other reasons....the possible accident reason is the one main reason I have never even given thought about owning and or driving a Motor Vehicle here in Thailand.

Basically ( IF ) you do have an accident with a Thai person you are going to be held accountable regardless of the circumstances and or who did what and or what actually happened and who is at fault.

If the Thai person did have insurance then the Thai drivers insurance company will be thinking the foreigners insurance company should pay....even if the Thai driver was at fault ..and no doubt about it and obvious to everyone...the foreigner should pay.

If the foreigner has Thai company motor vehicle insurance then there is a good chance his insurance company will not cover him and think the same as everyone else....the foreigner should pay.

I would go so far as to say that if you were simply the passenger in a motor vehicle accident there is a very real chance they would try to hold you accountable in some manner.....and or try to make you part with your money...because you were there...that is why.

Do you (like Pattaya28) have personal experience of this or are you relating the commonly expressed view that the farang is alway to blame, irrespective of fault?

Please wait for all the information, that we probably will never get. The family drove all that way just for merit making? Was the driver, either driver drunk? Any witness statements from other people on the scene?

"The family drove all that way just for merit making?

Was the driver, either driver drunk?

Any witness statements from other people on the scene?"

Why not wait for all the information instead of fuelling the rumour fire?

As expected some people here want to blame everything on Thai, but it doesn't matter whether or not rider cut in front of him, in this case Police will determine that Brit is at fault. It is very obvious that he was driving above the speed limit. Just like every other fatal crash case, they will conclude that if the Brit had not broken any traffic laws/regulations (speed limit in this case), he would had enough time to apply brakes avoid the collision. When a car got into an accident with motorcycle or pedestrian, it will almost always be driver's fault. Unless if you can prove that you didn't violate any traffic regulations and there was nothing can be done to avoid it, which is very difficult. All drivers including Thais and farangs always violate something, especially driving above the speed limit and cross solid white line.

More ill-informed,speculative nonsense.

It sucks to say it because i'm not a Thai basher, but the reasoning is the falang is always in the wrong because if the falang wasn't there the accident wouldn't have happened. That is the way Thai's think in regard to road accidents..

And that is exactly what they will be thinking....sooner or later....while they think that is brilliant reasoning.

Many will doubt it and say that is not the case...but in their minds the accident would not have happened to them had the foreigner not been there to ruin their day....and that is the way they see it...while they will easily garner sympathy from the other Thais with that kind of self serving reasoning.

Over the years it happened to me twice in Taxi cabs that had minor accidents while they told me to stay and or: "Where are you going".... while I was getting out of the cab and saying: "Not my concern"...... and paying them more than the cab fare seen on the meter....as in, not waiting around for change.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 1

Best wishes to the Brit.

I hope has first class insurance and a dash cam. Two things I would never drive here without.

If the deceased family demand some money, I hope they are swiftly told to F Off.

If he did not have a helmet nor insurance that covers death, and pulls across lanes without looking behind, then there is no one else to blame for his and their predicament.

I had an accident with my bicycle on a freeway long ago, and was my fault, but the driver stopped just to pull my bike from under the car, and speed away without a word. I commented the event with a Thai friend. I do not know if it is true, but he told me that in case of a crash with a motorbike or bicycle, even a pedestrian, without witnesses or a dash cam video to probe the contrary, the car driver will be the guilty part, and that may be the reason why some car drivers will leave the scene sometimes.

Comments from Thai and Farangs involved in accidents, makes me avoid any driving here. Only my Thai wife drives, with full insurance, and and I also installed a car cam. Cheaper solutions than deal with police and lawyers, here and in any other country.

Edited by umbanda

Do you (like Pattaya28) have personal experience of this or are you relating the commonly expressed view that the farang is alway to blame, irrespective of fault?

"...the one main reason I have never even given thought about owning and or driving a Motor Vehicle here in Thailand."

He just has no idea what he is talking about.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Obviously details are a little scant, but from the position stated in the article of the Bike after the crash and the drivers wife's statement is sounds like It will be on the driver if I understand correctly he's hit him up the arse while traveling in the same direction

• Like 1

....my condolences to the deceased's family...

...but who is 'bashing' whom....

...in all the years that I have read about a Thai driver causing an accident...i.e. minivans....I have never read a headline saying "Thai driver kills 10 passengers"

....who died....and how...and why....

...I do not see that the car driver 'killed' the motorcycle driver....

...we read 'he suddenly veered right....in from on the path of the car...which was in the passing lane....with no chance for the car to stop in time'...

...and 68 years old.....???

...whose senses and reflexes should we put in question here....the 68 year old's or the 40 year old's....???

Because we are in Thailand.

In Australia when there is a road accident the headline never reads Australian driver kills .... However if a tourist is the driver sometimes it will state their nationality in the headline.

Headlines generally read - speeding driver kills, drink driver kills, underage driver kills, unlicensed driver kills etc.. All assumed to be Australian unless otherwise stated.

Cheers.

Complete and utter nonsense posted by either an ignorant fool or a troll. Every single Thai bashing point you made in that post should be treated with absolute contempt.

And that rude comment would be YOUR OPINION......and your opinion only.....that is until it happens to you ...like it has happened to many other foreigners who find out the hard way..... the Foreigner pays when he should not be paying.

Does that mean every time...of course not...while anyone else could figure that part out.

Just because you are a Moderator does not mean you are correct...as in you are just the moderator and what you state, for the record, is just YOUR OPINION...and nothing else of importance.

You personally tell all the foreigners ( that means anyone other than Thai ) how you are so adamantly correct when they did have to pay when it was not their fault....while it is not only motor vehicle insurance matters we are talking about here.

Your uncalled for retort should be held in utter contempt.

Cheers to you also.

• Like 1

Best wishes to the Brit.

I hope has first class insurance and a dash cam. Two things I would never drive here without.

If the deceased family demand some money, I hope they are swiftly told to F Off.

If he did not have a helmet nor insurance that covers death, and pulls across lanes without looking behind, then there is no one else to blame for his and their predicament.

Wish it was easy as that. Unfortunately, my wife, a Thai national, had an intoxicated, non-helmet wearing, unlicensed, uninsured and unregistered bike rider drive into her car and sadly pass away two days later from his injuries. She was travelling at 40 kilometres on a four lane but undivided road, through a major town, in peak hour, when the rider came out of a side street on her right and drove into the driver's door. Police attended, marked and photographed the scene, the man was taken away by rescue and my wife then drove to the police station.

Here she was interviewed by police, and everyone, including police, were apologetic and accepted that the rider was at fault. However, once it became known that she was married to an expat, was a school teacher, had first class insurance and was driving a new car, the dollar signs lit up in the eyes of the deceased's family. Her insurer provided a representative but during the second interview, when the family decided they wanted compensation, this representative took their side and suggested my wife pay compensation, as should the insurer.

My wife dismissed him, then immediately rang the insurer, who sacked the representative and provided another, who was really switched on. He would not relent and declined to provide anything and also told my wife that all she had to say was, "speak to my insurer" and nothing else. She ended up having to attend the police station on 3 occasions, 5 to 6 hours at a time, where the family tried to get 100,000 from the wife and 5000,000 from the insurer. She provided 2,000 baht toward the funeral and this was accepted by the family but they wanted more.

However, during her 3rd attendance, the insurer had the doctor, who performed the medical examination prior to and after death, attend and it was his report that provided the evidence that proved, beyond doubt, that they rider had sustained internal and head injuries that could only have been caused by him driving into her vehicle, as she initially indicated. All this occurred, despite evidence provided by witnesses and the location of damage on the vehicle.

This saw the family finally admit that the deceased was at fault and they dropped all claims to any current or future compensation by signing papers relinquishing those rights. So believe me, it is not all black and white, and I really hope the Brit has a good insurer and representative because he will need it given the circumstances and the fact that he was the driver. The second representative also advised us that, despite a party being at fault, that on occasions and depending on the circumstances and whether or not they survive, either they or their family could seek and sometimes receive compensation.

We do not have a dash cam but always carry a camera, which allowed my wife to take photographs at the scene. With the bike impacting with the driver' door I don't think a cam would have been of any assistance on this occasion. I really feel for the Brit because he will go through his own private hell, firstly because a death has occurred and now the drawn out process of the investigation and possible negotiations between those who will want to be compensated.

Edited by Si Thea01