Briton allegedly hits and kills Thai motorcyclist

Thaivisa News

gemguy - you have been ill-informed....

Many foreigners, myself included, have been involved in accidents here.

My experience is not that the foreigner is automatically at fault. I consider such comments 'bar-stool-paranoia'.... This is the sort of information I received at 22 years old when I first arrived here listening to those wiley expats who never ventured far from the bar scene or other similarly minded expats / foreigners - after living here for a while and finding my own feet I soon learned how dated, incorrect and paranoid many of these opinions were.

My experience here has shown that I will be treated very much in the same way as I Thai would.

Of course, we all hear stories where an attempt would be made to 'blame' the foreigner, however, in much the same way a Thai perceived as being wealthier would be initially proportioned blame / costs.

'The Path of Least Resistance' is the way things are normally worked out. Because this is different from our own countries doesn't mean 'they' are against the foreigner... its just people being lazy and taking the easiest route to solve a situation.

When in a situation if a foreigner politely sticks to their guns they will be treated fairly and more often than not favourably.

------

More on topic:

In the case of a fatality (motorcycle on car) regardless of guilt it may be considered more 'caring' if a donation (not an admission of guilt) is made to the family of the deceased towards the funeral costs. This is what happens here.

This is one of those terrible tragic situations not well covered by Law or Insurance whereby in the West we'd have better driver / rider education, better and safer road design, more comprehensive insurance coverage. In the event of a serious accident a long drawn out unbiased process proportioning blame and charges (if necessary).

Here in Thailand the family of the poor deceased, RIP, and unfortunate Foreigner must sort things out a little differently but in a manner which has been the norm here for years.

You have points to be considered.

Meantime.....when it happens to you....then you may be singing a different song ...while being held in jail and or threatened with long prison sentences.

How about you see it that way also.....and no hard feelings.

And I have been here for 25 years...not fresh off the airplane like you are implying

Cheers

I have been involved in accidents and been dealt with equally and fairly.... That said - these accidents were not serious (no injuries).

I have a dashcam to protect myself from taking the blame (when blameless) when consequences are more serious... As you said Gemguy - I may well be singing a different song if I am involved in a more serious collision - you may be right, If I believed you or felt that I could be treated unequally or unfairly when involved in an unavoidable accident I wouldn't be here...

I'm aware damages to me may be very little, I'm also aware there is possibility some damaged parties may attempt to get some extra money from me.

I just don't subscribe to the theory that the 'foreigner is always at fault' - that has not been my experience here, neither has it been the experience of many friends who've been driving for numerous years.

Advice to anyone who may encounter such situations: Get a dash-cam, if involved in an accident be polite, don't accept blame, get a trusted and respectable Thai to assist if you need translation, have ready access to bail money.

Under Thai law when a death is involved the driver will always be arrested... thats just the way it is. There is no way of avoiding that.

Under Thai law when a death is involved the driver will always be arrested. that's just the way it is. There is no way of avoiding that.

This is not correct. My wife was involved in a fatality, was deemed not at fault and was never arrested. Had to meet with police on three occasions, with her insurance representative but never, ever arrested. If she had been negligent, driven dangerously, at excessive speed or under the influence of either alcohol or drugs, then it would have ensured her being arrested, not otherwise.

Wearing a crash helmet?

Likely not and trying to make a dash for one of those notoriously dangerous uturns...fast lane to fast lane.

there's a fast lane in Thailand?

It's worth remembering that there is a 90 kph limit on all main roads except the motorway. The body was 200 feet from the car and the driver had started to brake !!

I do understand that motorcycles are very often stupid in Thailand but 55 miles per hour with the bike maybe doing 35 mph does not equate to 200 foot separation.

Methinks car driver could be in deep poo and quite rightly so.

Maybe no lights on the motor bike, there is quite a few of them

running about up here in CNX,no lights,dark clothes,nearly ran

into one a few nights ago.on the SuperHighway,most likely would

have been my fault if there had of been an accident,even when

they had no lights. take care,drive safe.

regards worgeordie

If we are doing "maybes", maybe the Brit was getting a BJ and not watching the road? We can "maybe" all day long, but in the end, it is only supposition, isn't it?

A few years ago I had a similar experience, with the exception the Thai motor-bike rider did not die. He did brake both legs.

After going for my insurance company for untold compensation, which he did not get, the end of the story is I got 2 years jail. My lawyer got the sentence suspended for 2 years.

The motor-bike rider pulled straight out in front of me, but in court, being a foreigner, I was slaughtered. My legal costs were not small. My eventual fine was minute. I had my passport confiscated, which meant I was unable to leave Thailand.

I had the floor wiped up with me. Why ? Because I was a foreigner. Was on a hiding for nothing from the moment of impact. The police dealt with the matter in a very 2-faced way.

The bike riders body was "200 metres " from the car after hitting the windscreen. How fast was the car going ??????? The wife said he tried to stop so at impact

was braking "the body was 200 metres" from the car How fast was he going ???????

I know we all travel over the limit but if there is a bike on the same road it is up to us to slow down, in case. This guy did not slow and he was going VERY FAST.

As for Pattaya 28 he has only told his side of the story.

Wearing a crash helmet?

Exactly,...broken skull ???? ...exactly what a crash helmet would have helped to avoid...!

Sorry to say but If impact occurred with the vehicle's A pillar, as described by the wife, then a fractured skull was inevitable even if the rider was wearing a helmet.

Wearing a crash helmet?

Likely not and trying to make a dash for one of those notoriously dangerous uturns...fast lane to fast lane.

there's a fast lane in Thailand?

It's worth remembering that there is a 90 kph limit on all main roads except the motorway. The body was 200 feet from the car and the driver had started to brake !!

I do understand that motorcycles are very often stupid in Thailand but 55 miles per hour with the bike maybe doing 35 mph does not equate to 200 foot separation.

Methinks car driver could be in deep poo and quite rightly so.

Many roads beside motorways have 100 KPH speed limits. If the vehicle allegedly became stationary some 200 metres from the body, it would indicate that it had been travelling in excess of 130 KPH. And yes, I'd say the Brit would be in very deep, and will find it extremely hard to dig his way out.

Wearing a crash helmet?

Many roads beside motorways have 100 KPH speed limits. If the vehicle allegedly became stationary some 200 metres from the body, it would indicate that it had been travelling in excess of 130 KPH. And yes, I'd say the Brit would be in very deep, and will find it extremely hard to dig his way out.

Why are people still talking about the 200m like its a fact?! Have you ever talked to a thai person about distances? They are haven't got a clue. If they say 200m it can easily be under 100m

• Like 1

A few years ago I had a similar experience, with the exception the Thai motor-bike rider did not die. He did brake both legs.

After going for my insurance company for untold compensation, which he did not get, the end of the story is I got 2 years jail. My lawyer got the sentence suspended for 2 years.

The motor-bike rider pulled straight out in front of me, but in court, being a foreigner, I was slaughtered. My legal costs were not small. My eventual fine was minute. I had my passport confiscated, which meant I was unable to leave Thailand.

I had the floor wiped up with me. Why ? Because I was a foreigner. Was on a hiding for nothing from the moment of impact. The police dealt with the matter in a very 2-faced way.

As a regular car driver here, this worries me a lot. I have always believed stuff like this to be one of the many myths about living in Thailand. 2 years in jail, even if suspended, and confiscating a passport seems excessive for breaking someone's legs. Were your lawyers in on it?

Maybe not on this thread, but I'd like to read a more detailed account of your unfortunate experience. Did you post it here?

I know. That is a really frightening story and unfortunately seems plausible. I am glad i don't drive here. I do ride my bicycle too much though.

Please, at this stage nobody knows who is telling the truth or what really happened , just another tragic road fatality. We all know the conditions on the road , and how people drive here. Save your speculations for your armchair companions.

A tragic accident.

Please no blame games or Thai bashing.

why not, the Thai women said it was the Thai mans fault, what if he had not had a Thai wife, witnesses would have come out from every where, I have seen that happen on several times, its not bashing it is saying it as it is

Why is anyone surprised. They turn left onto main roads without ever looking so why should they change the habit of a lifetime in this accident

Had one do it to me, fortunately I was going pretty slow and only touched the bike, the driver demanded something from me for the scratch, so I gave it to him, the finger, and told him to ring the police, he just shot off seeing I was not a stupid farang who pays when it is not their fault, old school breeding

Wait a minute, there seems to be more to the story, or the way the report was written is a bit confusing.

What speed was the car going that the body of the motorcyclist was 200m away from where the car stopped, with the "bike stuck at the front of the car"?

Must have been quite high speed, or the reaction of the driver was extremely slow. You can stop a car going 100km/h in way less than 200m!

Assuming the car went fast, it's hard to believe that a 68 year old rider would speed up to get in front of the car.

Seems to me that the car driver didn't see the slower motorcycle, maybe going way too fast. It's still the fault of the motorcyclist, though.

Then the car crashed into the motorcycle, she said. Don't know if it's poor English but wouldn't the motorcycle crash into the car if it was cutting in front of it?

Whatevr happened, it's sad to hear that the rider died, being one of many who will get killed in the next few days, as every year.

100kph is 27.7 meters per second. Doesn't take long to travel 200m.

What do they call a Farang in Thai court?

Guilty.

We've all seen it a million times. Changing lanes, turning and merging without looking.

...and please add to this, on many motorcycles there are no more rear view mirrors. The riders think, "whoa, I've got a large amulet, nothing can stop me"

Sounds like another case of... coming from the very left side of the road to take a right turn

I have seen this practice going on for some twenty years now. Will they ever learn ?

Often, people pull across to get to a U turn, one has to be very cautious when aproaching a U turn.

I dont know why anyone would think 60/ feet is a big deal,

Was that 60/ feet behind the vehicle after the cyclist rolled off the back window?

60/ feet, I have seen cyclists in videos flung much futher than that, and then get up and start a fight with the motorist

The fine for a Thai killing two Brits on bicycles was 300 baht, no jail, no compensation to the family

The fine for this Brit will likely be 20/ years in prison

Wearing a crash helmet?

Why are people still talking about the 200m like its a fact?! Have you ever talked to a thai person about distances? They are haven't got a clue. If they say 200m it can easily be under 100m

If you want to use my quote as a reference point for your post, then at least learn to read and comprehend what was written. Was never proffered as fact, the wording is " IF the vehicle ALLLEGEDLY became stationary some 200 metres from the body, it WOULD indicate that the vehicle was travelling in excess of 130 kph. And, yes, I'd say the Brit WOULD be in very deep, and will find it extremely hard to dig his way out."

Just to help you. The word IF is a conjunction and can be taken to be, assume (that) or supposing (that). ALLEGEDLY is an adverb and used when something is claimed to have happened but there is no proof. WOULD is a verb and is used to indicate the consequence of an imagined event or situation. Understand now? Also, I only used the quote from the report to highlight the speed the vehicle would have to be travelling at if the deceased was allegedly located 200 metres from where the vehicle stopped following impact.

Now, if you are suggesting that others are also talking like it was fact, they might be but now you are proffering, as fact, that Thai people are unable to judge distances. "Have you ever talked to a Thai about distances? They haven't got a clue. If they say 200m it can be easily be under 100m." (quote) Are you able to clarify this? Do you mean all; a few; just the ones you may have spoken to; or the Thais, who you appear to suggest may be uneducated because they are unable to estimate distances.

Are you familiar with his wife, how do you know she is incapable of judging distances? You are drawing a very long bow with your suggestion, as I know quite a few Thais who have no trouble in estimating distances. So where is your argument now? Up the proverbial creek without a paddle I would suggest. For your information, as I was not there I am unable to write a factual post because I have no knowledge of what occurred. Maybe you should take a lesson and not write factually because you certainly cannot put all Thais into the one bag of not being able to estimate distances.

Edited by Si Thea01

I dont know why anyone would think 60/ feet is a big deal,

Was that 60/ feet behind the vehicle after the cyclist rolled off the back window?

60/ feet, I have seen cyclists in videos flung much futher than that, and then get up and start a fight with the motorist

The fine for a Thai killing two Brits on bicycles was 300 baht, no jail, no compensation to the family

The fine for this Brit will likely be 20/ years in prison

Guess your not good at calculations.. 200 meters is not 60 feet, but closer to 600 feet (unless you are talking about something else then I am mistaken. Its Multiply by 3 not divided by 3. Still cant figure out why the US used an outdated system. Every most civilized countries use the metric system.

I would never ride a bike in Thailand, never , I am not a gambler.

In a car I feel in control and safer even if some day a truck could hit me. But I always expect the worst when I'm out driving. I have never had an accident here but been close , thanks to my reaction and defensive driving I have avoided situations that could have ended in tragedy. I think maybe only 10% of the drivers thinks like me, the rest are living on the edge.

I knew a young American guy who drove his 250 cc motorcycle all over Thailand and swore the only safe way to drive a motorcycle around the roads and highways in Thailand was to drive fast and more aggressive than everyone else.

He told me if you drive at the speed limit you will get hurt while telling me how many times he had been forced off into the median or side of the road or had to swerve quickly to avoid being hit by Thai drivers performing all kinds of crazy driving antics.

He said he had seen it all...from North to South ...East to West....and lived to tell about it.

One evening on Sukhumvite Road he had an accident and plowed into the side of a Mercedes Benz that pulled out in front of him while himself and his GF went flying off the bike.

Long story short....after 10 days in the hospital and 2 cracked skull operations on his head and after being released from the hospital he went to the police station where his damaged bike was being held.

They wanted 60,000 baht for the bike while they told him he was lucky the owner of the Mercedes Benz was not pressing charges......even though the Mercedes Benz driver was in the wrong and pulled out of the side Soi as if no other vehicle was around.

The young American guy ended up negotiating the price for his motorcycle to be released down to 20,000 baht pleading hardship and no money ...and "look at me sympathy" pointing at his head operation.

He fixed his bike over a week or so and drove the repaired motorcycle back down to Phuket.

Cheers

In a car I feel in control and safer even if some day a truck could hit me. But I always expect the worst when I'm out driving. I have never had an accident here but been close , thanks to my reaction and defensive driving I have avoided situations that could have ended in tragedy. I think maybe only 10% of the drivers thinks like me, the rest are living on the edge.

I knew a young American guy who drove his 250 cc motorcycle all over Thailand and swore the only safe way to drive a motorcycle around the roads and highways in Thailand was to drive fast and more aggressive than everyone else.

He told me if you drive at the speed limit you will get hurt while telling me how many times he had been forced off into the median or side of the road or had to swerve quickly to avoid being hit by Thai drivers performing all kinds of crazy driving antics.

He said he had seen it all...from North to South ...East to West....and lived to tell about it.

One evening on Sukhumvite Road he had an accident and plowed into the side of a Mercedes Benz that pulled out in front of him while himself and his GF went flying off the bike.

Long story short....after 10 days in the hospital and 2 cracked skull operations on his head and after being released from the hospital he went to the police station where his damaged bike was being held.

They wanted 60,000 baht for the bike while they told him he was lucky the owner of the Mercedes Benz was not pressing charges......even though the Mercedes Benz driver was in the wrong and pulled out of the side Soi as if no other vehicle was around.

The young American guy ended up negotiating the price for his motorcycle to be released down to 20,000 baht pleading hardship and no money ...and "look at me sympathy" pointing at his head operation.

He fixed his bike over a week or so and drove the repaired motorcycle back down to Phuket.

Cheers

Stories stories.. I have had a accident in my car.. no problems with the police.. on the motorbike I am accident free. Strange but true. In the end its how much risk your willing to take. Its not like we are all senior citizens here that worry about their own shadow. Some people just enjoy life and take risks.

But of course this is a personal choice. I prefer riding the bike over the car in BKK. Though outside of BKK i prefer the car because of the idiots that come on your lane and push you off when its not one way.

Cheers

Stories stories.. I have had a accident in my car.. no problems with the police.. on the motorbike I am accident free. Strange but true. In the end its how much risk your willing to take. Its not like we are all senior citizens here that worry about their own shadow. Some people just enjoy life and take risks.

But of course this is a personal choice. I prefer riding the bike over the car in BKK. Though outside of BKK i prefer the car because of the idiots that come on your lane and push you off when its not one way.

Stories, relative to the subject matter on hand are all part of life my friend while stories are also true accounts of what other people experienced.

Maybe you do not like novels and or history books...I can only assume....lol

Cheers

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We've all seen it a million times. Changing lanes, turning and merging without looking.

True...so very true.

After 25 years of observing how the Thais drive I have learned that the majority of them drive based on making moves that they are certain all the other drivers around them will observe and then give way accordingly and accommodate their movements.

Unfortunately all too often their sudden movements are noticed but there is no room for the other driver(s) to maneuver or stop in time.

Of course a scenario such as that can and does happen in every country....but I would surmise more so here in Thailand than most other countries....( Vietnam is worse for that kind of driving mentality )

Sudden turns to the left or right and more commonly pulling out into on coming traffic based on having the "room" to do so while they believe everyone else has to and or will accommodate their sudden movements as they make their move regardless of how close the other vehicles are to them.

As if they are fearless and do not think it will hurt them when the car body metal starts to fold in around them or when their body or head slams into the ground when they fly off their motorcycles.

Passing other vehicles, regardless of on coming traffic, is solely based on believing all the other drivers coming at them, in the opposite direction and in the opposite lane, will observe what they are dangerously doing and accommodate their dangerous movements and give way to their movements.

Meantime there very well could be another driver pulling off the same dangerous passing movement, coming in the opposite direction....or right behind them there is another driver pulling the same stunt and following their lead and near bumper to bumper behind while believing everyone around them will also see what they are doing and give way and also accommodate their dangerous movements.

You can see ahead, all the other cars coming at you in the opposite direction are drifting over to the edge of the road and giving way....as they do not have much choice as they are more or less forced to give way while some of the opposite direction cars are flying past with say 1 meter between the 2 cars......and then........ there is a motorcycle pulling off the same stunt coming in either direction trying to squeeze in-between before the 2 cars meet and pass one another.

It is an everyday occurrence and probably happens several thousand times a day throughout the country.

Defensive driving is NOT part of the Thai style driving culture

Cheers

Yes the U turn's lanes at minimum on all main roads should be removed.I have worked in Taiwan, China and Malaysia. China has a very strange right of way law , basically right of way belongs to the vehicle that is "There" first., Also any accident is blamed on the "Larger" vehicle , If a lorry hits a car its the Lorries fault if a car hits a Pedestrian its the Cars fault ect , ect, Their roads are spectacularly dangerous its like living in a "People do the stupidest things" DVD. Malaysia and Taiwan pretty bad too , Taiwan lots of spoiled little rich kids , Malaysia 70 year old kampong Malays on Freeway motorbikes an families jammed into tiny Protons. But by far the most dangerous roads are the Thai Roads due to the U Turn lanes and make me cringe when I pass it and by far the most dangerous and unnecessary part of the Thai/Asian road network

The U turns are super dangerous here. Having to slow down in the 'fast lane' for a u turn is not much fun! Then pulling across all 3 lanes to access the road from a standing start is beyond crazy

• Like 1

Cheers

Stories, relative to the subject matter on hand are all part of life my friend while stories are also true accounts of what other people experienced.

Maybe you do not like novels and or history books...I can only assume....lol

Cheers

By the sound of it your more a lover of fiction.

Many of us have been in accidents here without getting ripped off. Sure bad stuff happens but when have you ever had someone come out that he was guilty. People are always not guilty in their own eyes and the police or Thais are always out to get them. Sorry I just take most stories with a pinch of salt.

Sure bad things happen, but it certainly is not the norm.

• Like 1

It's simple. Get a front/rear dash cam or helmet cam (for bikes). Then drive carefully. Love the Russian videos with their dash cams speeding though traffic, subsequently crashing and this incriminating themselves:) lol

• Like 1

600 feet?

I'm sure they made a mistake and I corrected it with my poor math skills unless people here believe the guy was thrown the length of 2/ football fields, which did not happen,

Unless the driver was planning on escaping and the bike didn't shake loose, after 600/ feet

Either ways the flang pays.

I will never drive any vehicles in Thailand

600 feet?

I'm sure they made a mistake and I corrected it with my poor math skills unless people here believe the guy was thrown the length of 2/ football fields, which did not happen,

Unless the driver was planning on escaping and the bike didn't shake loose, after 600/ feet

Either ways the flang pays.

I will never drive any vehicles in Thailand

Which is worse?

-A- Trusting that someone (usually uneducated) won't make an idiotic decision while you (and your family) are passengers causing injury... OR...

-B- The risk of being involved in an accident while driving yourself and taking the full blame unfairly.

One of the stories on this thread frightens me: the guy who was given 2 years jail time (commuted to a 2 year suspended sentence) for his part in an accident with a motorcycle (two broken legs).

It would be interesting to learn more of the details in this situation. The posters suggests the 'floor was wiped' with him just because he is a foreigner. This appears to be a first hand experience and thus a potential lesson to us all. It would be interesting to see if when balance is applied he was treated unfairly or there were greater issues / fault at hand. What reasons did the court give for the sentence?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

I was the motorbike riding victim 4 years ago.

Driving on a 4 lane high speed roadway in the right lane (passing/fast lane) overtaking a gravel truck who was also pulling a trailer. He was in the far left lane and, without signalling, pulled a u-turn across all lanes, cutting me off and causing me to run into him. I suffered severe injuries and was in hospital for 3 weeks.

Now starts the court process. I got a Thai attorney who came highly recommended: 30 years of practice and a law professor at the university. It was quite clear who was at fault and it certainly was not me. I paid my fee to the attorney to represent for the civil case as well as the criminal case. The court confiscated my passport during the criminal hearings also. After 4 months, the judge finally rendered his decision. Shared fault. He fined me 1,000 baht and sentenced the other driver to 1 year in jail. The pother driver appealed the verdict and, of course, had his sentence reduced to 20,000 baht fine. Yep. Oh, by the way, in his decision, because of shared fault, he also summarily dismissed my civil case. He ordered the other driver, and the company that the driver was working for who owned the truck, to pay me 30,000 baht for my medical. That's it. I have permanent nerve damage to my eye, my neck is f'd, my face is disfigured, I lost my ability to do my job back in the USA, and the Thai driver gets off scot-free because of corruption. I should have gotten a million baht, but the judge and police and probably my own attorney were all paid off for a fraction of what my settlement would have been.

Someone said in an earlier comment to not bash Thai drivers... Well, a Thai driver, and Thai court, completely screwed my life up. Yeah, Thailand is all smiles and fun until some idiot does something like this to you. There is no fairness or justice in this country. That's a fact.

Sorry to read of your nasty accident and terrible injuries. It goes to show that if you are riding a motorcycle you should always wear a decent crash helmet even on the shortest journeys .

• Like 1