Can I take my Thai registered motor bike to Langkawi ?

BillBilous

HI ALL

I plan a Motor Bike Tour from Thailand to Malaysia via langkawi Island

Has any one done this trip before - Any pitfalls ?

Where do i obtain Insurance to travel into Malaysia ?

Any other considerations I should be aware of ?

Appreciate all constructive advise

Yes you can do it, I,ve done it twice on the RO RO ferry. After you have gone through Malaysia immigration on the right hand side you can

buy insurance and a sticker with your translated Thai numberplate. Don't forget to translate your reg book at LTD to English.

• Like 1

Hi Thanks for the reply

Just to clarify

• which town is the RO RO ferry. Satun ?

After you have gone through Malaysia immigration on right hand side you can buy insurance and a sticker with your translated Thai numberplate. - How long does this process take

Don't forget to translate your reg book at LTD to English

What is LTD ??

thanks

I seem to remember it took about 45 minutes to process the insurance and get the license sticker put on ....

You'll save time by getting your license translated at your local Thai motor vehicle branch before leaving... (assume that was the reference to LTD ?) it ill include the province from which you are from.... wink.png

mine is "XXX 123 stn" = Surratthani ....

I seem to remember it took about 45 minutes to process the insurance and get the license sticker put on ....

You'll save time by getting your license translated at your local Thai motor vehicle branch before leaving... (assume that was the reference to LTD ?) it ill include the province from which you are from.... wink.png

Thanks for the info

Just to point out Im intending to have 3-4 weeks in Langkawi, but want to to my Motorbike with me ( Im from Hua Hin area )

Are you talking about the border crossing in Satun ?

Can i do all this at the Ferry ?

or elsewhere

Thanks

Thanks for the info

Just to point out Im intending to have 3-4 weeks in Langkawi, but want to to my Motorbike with me ( Im from Hua Hin area )

Are you talking about the border crossing in Satun ?

Can i do all this at the Ferry ?

or elsewhere

Thanks

Sadeo is where I crossed, I have not used the Satun crossing... so not sure!

I came back to look at this to add that avoid crossing the border on Sunday (especially afternoon / evening, it can take a while to stamp out of Thailand and get into Malaysia (at least at Sadeo) ... so many Malaysians returning after the week end!!

Should be a good trip for you, I always use the coast road on the east side, virtually no traffic, .... and pretty much by-passes Had Yai....

Perhaps a matter of looking at a Map to find the other route to Satun !

A good side trip on the Thai side, is visiting Thali Noi, west of Ranot .... it's very beautiful! thumbsup.gif

Hi Thanks for the reply

Just to clarify

• which town is the RO RO ferry. Satun ?

After you have gone through Malaysia immigration on right hand side you can buy insurance and a sticker with your translated Thai numberplate. - How long does this process take

Don't forget to translate your reg book at LTD to English

What is LTD ??

thanks

Google Langkawi Ro Ro and you will find all the info you need, the ferry leaves from Kuala Perlis in Malaysia. I forgot you will

also need a valid MC drivers license. If all your papers are in order it takes about 20 minutes to do the paperwork for insurance and the

reg. sticker, they do both in the same shop, witch is actually a tent.

If you have never been to Malaysia before, I wouldn't go through Satun / Thale Baan ( thats if you are talking about the road crossing, there is also a boat crossing but not for vehicles ) - I would stick to the well trodden path at Sadao, there are reports on here and other forums regarding the tent procedure.

If I already had a sticker / insurance, then I would cross at Padang Bezar or Thale Baan. Actually, in practice, they don't care at the border and wave you through, its not until you stumble upon a JPJ roadblock you are in trouble.

PS - Got to your local LTO with your book before you leave, and ask for 'blair tabian' - they will translate the green book, saving time at the border.