Top 7 cities for retiring in Thailand

webfact

Substandard intellect works well in most of Thailand outside of BKK...actually near all of Thailand.

As noted above, if you are the type of guy who needs intellectual stimulation, you won't get it in near all of Thai.

It says a lot for most farang here.

Outside of the capital, most other places barley warrant being classified as "cities".

Edited by Blackfox

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it says 'Gulf'.

Ans wa-a-a-y to the left there it says 'Indian Ocean'

You're nitpicking.

A gulf is fed by the ocean and thus is part of the ocean. A gulf is termed such only due to the shape of the land encasing it; but as far as the body of water goes, in and of itself there is nothing differentiating it from the ocean.

Same goes for a 'sea'. Often the waters bordering land masses are referred to as such, but they're still ocean. Example: The Andaman Sea is no less ocean than the Atlantic beaches abutting Long Island, NY. It's just a question of terminology, of how things happened to be named.

Hua Hin is on the ocean.

Edit: upon further review, the term "sea" appears to be a catchall. Even landlocked bodies of water, e.g., the Capsian, have been termed seas. Anyway, my point concerning Hua Hin still stands.

Edited by aTomsLife

Life is so much better in the villages, quiet , no noisy farangs drunk wearing vests, being loud borish.

But plenty of noisy Thais and rabid dogs to keep you company, no doubt.

Ya have to keep an eye out for those rabid dogs.

• 1 year later...

I met so many unhappy campers who retired in Udon, that I left....for Chiang Mai.

It was an improvement, and we did the whole province...and Mae Hong Son to boot, but never seen any guys my age white water rafting.  I tried the bicycle stuff and got tired of getting ran off the road. To tell you the truth...Chiang Mai has some nice spots, but the traffic was unbearable. So was the hot season.

Well...I finally got myself to an island (guess)....and we are quite happy.  It does not have everything...but there are like a couple hundred more  restaurants than Udon had....  and the same goes for the nightlife. Chiang Mai nightlife was not that great either.   Swimming Beaches with Night Parties and BBQS,  Interesting Nightlife, and Options when eating out (other than sticky rice and Som Tam) are making my retirement a dream.  After driving all over Thailand, I am kind of glad that the highway is basically just a circle around the Island. Lot of other nearby islands to make it interesting, as well.  The tourists don't bother me anymore.  Sitting on a bamboo mat in a ricefield with the same old folks for years on end was killing me, by the way.

Never considered Pattaya as a place to live....  might be nice for a single guy, but for a married guy with a clinging wife, it might be a bit frustrating.  Yeah, that was me looking at my feet, while my wife was tugging on my arm, as we walked past all those gorgeous young gals cat calling at me.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2015 at 8:20 AM, DGS1244 said:

Great if you want to live like a native, Thai food only, no watering holes, no English spoken. no hospitals or good doctors, no vets etc. etc. Tried it for a while then realised what I was missing...a life...give me Chiang Mai anyday.

Well you are in Thailand.

Same old names come up everytime, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khorat, Pattaya, Phuket, Krabi etc, and then you have the islands. Plenty of other places way off the tourist trail that are much more satisfying then those already mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...