Prachinburi seminar held to seek input on reform of Thai medicine

Lite Beer

Prachinburi seminar held to seek input on reform of Thai medicine

PRACHINBURI, 19 April 2015 (NNT) – A seminar was held in Prachinburi by the National Reform Council to seek input on the reform of Thai medicine.

The seminar was held at Chao Phya Abhaibhubejhr Hospital in Prachinburi on the morning of Friday, and was inaugurated by Associate Professor Porapan Punyaratabandhu, the head of the NRC committee for the reform of public health, and Admiral Chanchai Charoensuwan, the head of the NRC committee for the reform of Thai medicine.

Participants at the seminar deliberated how Thai medicine can be revived and used in tandem with mainstream medicine. Emphasis was placed on the proposed health service system based on Thai medicine, which would allow for healthcare within communities to draw on domestic resources and utilize less imported drugs. The new service would also improve locals' income through the exportation of Thai herbal products, allowing local farmers to earn income from the cultivation of the herbs.

Those at the seminar expressed the belief that a reform of Thai medicine would provide patients with choices when receiving healthcare services. In turn, this would lend toward greater fairness and less disparity within society.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-19 footer_n.gif

I would have thought that prescription drugs would either be manufactured in Thailand (as they do in a few other ASEAN countries) or generics imported from reliable suppliers, to keep the costs down.

My prescription medicines for high B.P., blood sugar, etc have been costing me over AU$100 a month for the past year or so, and more so now that the AU$ has devalued by more than 20%. (or the Thai Baht stays stuck to the US$)

As I was heading back to Oz for a few weeks of unpolluted air, I did a careful check on what it would cost me if I bought 6 month's supply. These are available with a Dr's prescription, and purchased wholesale for private use, and not on the National Health Service.

Much to my amazement, I could buy nine month's supply for $215.00. That's a saving of around $600.00.

I presented the prescriptions to the pharmacist, showed him the internet price of the wholesale supplier, and was told that "there was no problem, to come back tomorrow as we have to get some extra stock in."

I made extra sure I had the prescriptions with me in case Thai Customs queried the quantity, but no problems.

They're all carefully stored in the fridge, and I'll do another 'medical run' in 6 months or so.

Very smart idea ... common sense, really ... to incorporate Traditional Thai Medicine (including herbs) with modern medicine. The Chinese did this four-plus decades ago and it's been very successful.

I think this is great. There are a lot of common conditions that modern medicine still doesn't have the answer for that alternative medicine might:

migraines

dysmenorrhea (aka PMS)

allergies

myofascial pain

facial nerve palsy

just to name a few.

Edited by smileydude

I think this is great. There are a lot of common conditions that modern medicine still doesn't have the answer for that alternative medicine might:

migraines

dysmenorrhea (aka PMS)

allergies

myofascial pain

facial nerve palsy

just to name a few.

Thai medicine answer to that is: Tiger Balm (in all its various forms) ....didn't you know that?? If you are really sick, have someone pat you with wet cloth over and over.