Khon Kaen’s Bangsaen 2 packed with heat-stricken tourists

Lite Beer

Khon Kaen’s Bangsaen 2 packed with heat-stricken tourists

KHON KAEN, 19 April 2015 (NNT) – Residents and tourists in Khon Kaen province have spent the weekend flocking to Ubolratana Dam to escape the scorching weather.

Driven by the temperature which had already hit 40 degrees Celsius, hundreds of visitors spent the weekend chilling out at the dam’s freshwater beach locally known as Bangsaen 2. Some chose to cool themselves down with rafting or a banana boat ride. Others opted to picnic on the beach.

Located some 50 kilometers North West of Khon Kaen’s city centre, Ubolratana Dam is a multi-purpose dam which serves as the Northeast’s source of electricity, a water supplier and a recreational spot. During the Songkran holiday, the attraction was visited by more than 100,000 holidaymakers, creating over 50 million baht in income for the local economy.

The Meteorological Department, meanwhile, has forecast that heat will continue to grip the upper Northeast for another two days, after which period tropical storms are expected to hit the region.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-19 footer_n.gif

Desperately waiting for the storms!

Baking heat!

Bang Saen 2???

Never heard that term before.

Every Thai here talks about Pattaya Song (Pattaya 2).

Same place

As for a beach if you like mud you will love it

Plenty of food vendors selling fish , fish and more fish

Last time I was there the ground was littered with trash

So I guess calling it Pattaya 2 is appropriate laugh.png

• Like 1

Hmm...was on the opposite side Saturday and not many people around. Same type of activity but in small bamboo hut type of things built on water. Mostly Thais (say 'mostly' which actually means that I did not detect one foreigner besides myself) and not many of them either.

I wonder why they would try to escape to that beach. Not much ways to hide from sun. I would like to hear it from someone who was there that the place was packed. It certainly is DURING Songkhran but after..?

Desperately waiting for the storms!

Baking heat!

Bang Saen 2???

Never heard that term before.

Every Thai here talks about Pattaya Song (Pattaya 2).

If you go out from Khon KAEN towards Udon Thani for around 30 mins drive you will come to the Dam turnoff on the left, great place to chil out and good food.

Pattaya 2 and Bang Saen 2 are not the same place. They are on opposite sides of the reservoir and there's a lot more at Bang Saen 2

So I have never been there.

Just remember Pattaya 2.

Thx for the clarification.