AIT ranked 'top international university' in the world

webfact

What a bunch of sour-grapes cynics many of you are. Your immediate, knee-jerk response is: "If it's Thai then it has to be inferior."

Instead of "assuming" the worst why not get off you high horse and actually check out U-Multirank's credentials. Judging from their website, they seem impressive and authoritative.

And no, I'm not a Thai apologist, and I'm well aware of Thailand's many warts. However, I do prefer truth and facts over unexamined prejudice.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good for them, let us hope it eventually shows in an uplift of Thailand which is so badly needed.

I wouldn't hold my breath. They've been around for well over 50 years already without having much impact Thailand other than churning out well qualified students from countries all over Asia. The student mostly return to their home countries after graduating, which is also the purpose of the institution. It's a regional university rather than a national one.

http://www.ait.ac.th/about#.VTSMBhc4rKA

If the students re from countries other than Thailand difficulty in obtaining a work permit may also be a cause for them not staying

An appalling distortion of the actual facts. Someone has successfully turned a modest achievement into a bad joke on the university (or Tech college.) "World first in Thailand" actually translates into "A legend in his own coffee break." Result?? Epic Fail!!!!!

You say "tech college" as if tech somehow makes it inferior. Ever hear of MIT?

AIT has always been the best university in Thailand and most of the board members are Thai's.

We hired in the past students from AIT and they end up in no time with a pay of 100-150k.

The composition of the board has to do with the permits needed to operate this kind of education institution in Thailand.

As for the standard of Thai universities in general:

All Thai universities, including Chula and Thammasat which are supposed to be the best ones (although that may not necessarily be true) struggle to reach high levels in international comparisons. There are reasons for this that are easy to understand for anyone who has been on the inside of these institutions. That doesn't mean that graduates from Thai universities are useless, but they mostly struggle to compete in an international job market.

AIT is actually pretty legit compare to Chula and Thamasart. In fact, students in their international department I would say are better than the ones in Chula's international department. I had a friend who graduated from Columbia in the states and then went to AIT to further her studies, she had good things to say about it. They produce a lot of academic articles as well, I come by it pretty frequent actually.

I think The Nation did a poor job at writing that article about AIT, don't blame the school, blame the writer of the article!

• Like 1

This is new, and by no means universally respected ranking.

There are several well established British and American rankings produced.

How come AIT don't appear in their top lists, for anything?

Not knocking AIT per se. I know graduates and they are good. But to suggest it's the best university in Thailand or one of the best in the world is, well, stretching things too far.

This is new, and by no means universally respected ranking.

There are several well established British and American rankings produced.

How come AIT don't appear in their top lists, for anything?

Not knocking AIT per se. I know graduates and they are good. But to suggest it's the best university in Thailand or one of the best in the world is, well, stretching things too far.

People need to do a little research before commenting, U-Multirank the company that does the ranking never claim AIT was top, it was the author of The Nation newspaper who wrote the article that made the claim. Also I believe U-Multirank ranks schools in a very different way, so their top schools are very different from other American or British rankings.

An appalling distortion of the actual facts. Someone has successfully turned a modest achievement into a bad joke on the university (or Tech college.) "World first in Thailand" actually translates into "A legend in his own coffee break." Result?? Epic Fail!!!!!

You say "tech college" as if tech somehow makes it inferior. Ever hear of MIT?

555 sorry can't help myself on that one, now that's ignorant.