Non renewal of fixed contract.

Hello!

You made the extensions of your Non-B visa and work permit that would both expire on 30 March 2015,

based on your contract with your school that expired on the same day, so you must of left Thailand by

then to make sure that you didn't overstay, I'd say.

If you do want to get a salary for last March, you should do what you've been requested to by your school

OR just forget about the salary. You should live with The Thainess.

Good luck

Edited by Too

Several posters stated or implied that a signature is required for a resignation to be valid. I thought so too and tried to invoke that to support my case with the labour department (I emailed my resignation). As soon I mentioned (and then showed them) the emailI, it was case closed (and not in a good way). The staff (who was quite senior apparently) explained that just speaking the words "I resign" is a resignation if somebody hears it.

I think the philosophy behind it is that it protects the Thai employee from being taken advantage of (held in slavery) by unscrupulous Thai employers (sorry for the redundant use of unscrupulous 555). If the employee happens to be owed money other than wages (i.e. expense reimbursement), I was told one must file a normal lawsuit in the regular (non-labour) Thai court system where they don't favour employees and it'll take years of paying lawyers to get nothing in the end.

So the better way to deal with wanting to resign is to discuss the concept of your hypothetical interest in resigning with your employer and have them draw up a contract that specifies what you will get in the event you resign (a separation agreement), and don't sign anything unless there's a bank draft in your name within arm's reach. Learn from my stupidity.

Good luck ::)

"I have completed my obligations until the last day of my contract, however, the school is refusing to pay me my salary for the month of March unless I go to the school and sign another letter of resignation written by them and also stipulated that I hand in my work permit which has already expired."

Schools love to withhold the last month's salary - just like landlords the tenant's security deposits. wink.png

Who cares about the excuses?

The foreigner may give up, walk away or sit in a dark corner of some bar, muttering to himself.