AIS 3G Pocket wifi

WhamBam

I have just bought an AIS 3G pocket wifi.

A little over 2,000 Baht + 450 Baht for 1G d/l unlimnited for 1 month. Better packages available but I only do e-mail and forum type stuff inn Thailand.

10 metre range from the unit. Alleged 4 hour + battery life. Recharge from the computer or via a charger (extra to buy).

It allows me to connect to the internet on my phone or computer if the stand alone unit is within the 10 metres, anywhere in Thailand. Size of a small mobile phone.

I like this small unit. In Thailand now about 8 months a year. No connection fees. No need to pay 1 year for a contract that will lay idle when I am in the UK and still have to be paid for.

This will not suit everyone, but suits my Thai needs. If I need faster, I can purchase a faster sim card.

Part of my reason for going this route is my condo wants 2,500 just to allow me to install internet with the likes of TOT.

Yes, it works fine. I'll test it around and about as I am on the move and get back on the results.

Anyone else got one? How is it for you?

I use one with a TOT SIM card and haven't had much of a problem with it. If the connection ever acts up, a quick restart usually solves the problem. I use TOT's, no longer available, Perfect Storm plan for unlimited internet at 2mb up/2mn down. If I had the option though, I would pay to have the line installed to get DSL/cable but my condo won't allow it. :\

Many people like using their 3G/LTE mobile smartphone with WiFi Tethering enabled and a promotional Internet Data package to share the Internet Data connection to other devices.

But if you don't like seeing your mobile battery taking a quick dive, off-loading that task to a Pocket WiFi device using a separate 3G/LTE promotional Internet Data package is certainly the way to go. Deciding which promotional package is the difficult part.

As a lite data user, I've found the TrueMove-H "7-Eleven" pegboard 59 Baht/7-day 3G Unlimited 512kbps Internet Data package a great deal, especially if I'm just accessing email, news, forums and low-res video services (as I don't have to keep track of the GB's used). Otherwise expect to pay real money for SPEED and the GBs used.

While many Pocket WiFi devices can be used with any mobile carrier matching it's specifications (radio bands, etc.), "Carrier Branded" Pocket WiFi devices tend to be carrier locked for use only with that one mobile provider, limiting your options.

There really isn't another option for people constantly travelling ...well, unless you like the smell of coffee and using WiFi Hotspots.

The AIS 3x promotional packages might be a better deal for that AIS Pocket WiFi device.

index_02.jpg

I bought a AIS 3G Pocket WiFi 21.6 Mbps in February 2014... I have used it all over Isaan, in Mid South Thailand - Krabi, and on a car trip to the Malaysian border ... SUPERB PERFORMANCE...

I am not fond on the AIS packaging but ... after finally beginning to understand it ... it works just fine.

I use it for travel, and as a backup to my home 3BB now -- 3BB is horrible - so I am on on Pocket WiFi - even now .

I paid 1500 Baht for the unit with a SIM Card.... Then buying various levels of the 3G Service / Package over these many months.

It is not blazing fast and not recommended for streaming or downloading movies -- but just jim dandy fine for me for use as I describe.

Not sure what the current model looks like ... Mine is made by ZTE... it is the best performing - most reliable electronic device I have ever owned.

Many people like using their 3G/LTE mobile smartphone with WiFi Tethering enabled and a promotional Internet Data package to share the Internet Data connection to other devices.

But if you don't like seeing your mobile battery taking a quick dive, off-loading that task to a Pocket WiFi device using a separate 3G/LTE promotional Internet Data package is certainly the way to go. Deciding which promotional package is the difficult part.

As a lite data user, I've found the TrueMove-H "7-Eleven" pegboard 59 Baht/7-day 3G Unlimited 512kbps Internet Data package a great deal, especially if I'm just accessing email, news, forums and low-res video services (as I don't have to keep track of the GB's used). Otherwise expect to pay real money for SPEED and the GBs used.

While many Pocket WiFi devices can be used with any mobile carrier matching it's specifications (radio bands, etc.), "Carrier Branded" Pocket WiFi devices tend to be carrier locked for use only with that one mobile provider, limiting your options.

There really isn't another option for people constantly travelling ...well, unless you like the smell of coffee and using WiFi Hotspots.

The AIS 3x promotional packages might be a better deal for that AIS Pocket WiFi device.

index_02.jpg

what is the sign-up code for that TRUEMOVE-H 3G "7-eleven" (???) package ? cannot find any Info anywhere. Is there a limit for the 512KB-speed ?

It seems that per 1st of May the providers are changing and tightening the rules again. It has become a real mafia now, with by far the most expensive data-rates all over South-East-Asia.

And their packages now seem to be all identical.

I had used a AIS 24-hrs package for a long time, it cost 14 Baht for a speed of 384 KB unlimited 24 hrs, then it went up to 19 Baht 6 weeks ago or so, and just this morning when I apllied for a new daily package, I was informed that by 1st of May, the 19 Baht package only includes 300 MB of data, after that it's being throttled to 64KB, which basically means you won't be able to use it at all after the 300MB is used up.

BTW, I use a non-branded ZTE Mini-pocket-Wifi I found at PANTIP PLAZA (the first time I entered that nasty place after 5 years or so) after a very long research.

It has been produced for an Austrian company called "abroadband", but this company has stopped operation and they probably sell the remaining devices anywhere.

it cost 1.290 Baht which is basically still a lot too expensive for what it is, but I had a hard time to get such a non-branded and unlocked device, so I bought it.

The prices AIS and TRUE charge for their Mini-Wifi devices are ludicrous and a giant inflated rip-off.

I agree this is a good unit. Around the end of last year there was a problem with the Internet cable being cut in the south China sea. My ISP true throttled all the consumer bandwith to favor the corporate clients at that time so my internet was pretty much useless.

I bought the AIS pocket wifi with a package of hi speed 21 Mbps and 12 gig data. I was able to stream movies over xbmc better than my true connection could even when it was working properly.

]

what is the sign-up code for that TRUEMOVE-H 3G "7-eleven" (???) package ? cannot find any Info anywhere. Is there a limit for the 512KB-speed ?

You have to physically walk into a 7-eleven and take a TrueMove-H promotion card off a pegboard display and hand it to a cashier and they give you a receipt code you can enter on the "day" you want to start the service.

Don't know why, but they don't put the used cards (all containing the same identical: scanner code) back on the pegboard till the next day, so sometimes they "run out".

The offer is 512kbps fixed for now.

But as everyone else has changed their 384kbps promotions to limited bytes then 64kbps speed, I expect TrueMove-H to do something similar with this 7-eleven only promotion.

]

You have to physically walk into a 7-eleven and take a TrueMove-H promotion card off a pegboard display and hand it to a cashier and they give you a receipt code you can enter on the "day" you want to start the service.

Don't know why, but they don't put the used cards (all containing the same identical: scanner code) back on the pegboard till the next day, so sometimes they "run out".

But as everyone else has changed their 384kbps promotions to limited bytes then 64kbps speed, I expect TrueMove-H to do something similar with this 7-eleven only promotion.

I think he was asking about data limits. I'm curious too if there's any data limit or if it;s truly unlimited at a constant 512 kbps?

]

I think he was asking about data limits. I'm curious too if there's any data limit or if it;s truly unlimited at a constant 512 kbps?

I was asking both actually, but will try to check it out myself and get such a card from a pegboard if I find one. will post my experience here then. but again, could easily be the rules are being changed by May 1st, same as the current AIS package I am using recently

]

I was asking both actually, but will try to check it out myself and get such a card from a pegboard if I find one. will post my experience here then. but again, could easily be the rules are being changed by May 1st, same as the current AIS package I am using recently

Sent via PM...

I did some more research after Jiu-Jitsu send me a PM with a sign-up-code.

It seems like this is the most up-to-date Info from Truemove available in English, and there are 3 different packages:

http://www.truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/net_buffet_en.html

then there seemed to be a PROMO which is not listed on the English TRUEMOVE page (see attached screenshot). After the new restrictive AIS rules come into effect on May 1st, I will try to apply for this Promo and then report my experience

post-43883-0-31887800-1430028622_thumb.p

Sure they can be unlocked I see some units are sold locked to a specific provider, while other units (same models) can be used with any provider. How to unlock them is a different question.

I'm personally very happy with the WIFI hotspot sharing on my mobile(s). With a larger battery phones (or with an aftermarket battery) draining your phone juice isn't an issue.

My main phone is Note 3 with 10,000 mah ZeroLemon battery and I only change it 2x per week with average usage. It's really hard to drain that monster battery in one day.

My other (work) phone is Sony Z1 which has a 3000 mah battery and it easily lasts one day with moderate usage, but if I would share the WIFI all day it might not last.

I really don't want to carry another gadget in my pocket, have plenty already to worry about and keep track of battery charges, etc.

I did some more research after Jiu-Jitsu send me a PM with a sign-up-code.

It seems like this is the most up-to-date Info from Truemove available in English, and there are 3 different packages:

http://www.truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/net_buffet_en.html

then there seemed to be a PROMO which is not listed on the English TRUEMOVE page (see attached screenshot). After the new restrictive AIS rules come into effect on May 1st, I will try to apply for this Promo and then report my experience

Here are the ACTUAL TrueMove-H webpage listing the TrueMove-H Terms and Conditions Extra Package promotion (Thai language only, sorry, but you can use Google Translate)

384kbps Internet Data Promotion

384 kbps unlimited -- same-day* 14฿ *900*1901#

384 kbps unlimited -- 7-day* 69฿ *900*1902#

512kbps Internet Data Promotion

512 kbps unlimited -- same-day* 09฿ *900*8908#

512 kbps unlimited -- 7-day* 59฿ *900*8909#

* Promotion will terminate automatically at 23:59 o'clock on the last day of subscription

So the 512kbps promotional codes are very similar (if not the same) as the TrueMove-H "7-ELEVEN" pegboard promotion.

TrueMove-H also has a slew of other *900 promotional codes offering similar 384kbps or 512kbps promotions but with a limited Data Bucket where the speed drops to 64kbps when the data limit is exhausted.

Way too many similar promotions. Very confusing, which I think is what they want.

• Like 1

Here are the ACTUAL TrueMove-H webpage listing the TrueMove-H Terms and Conditions Extra Package promotion (Thai language only, sorry, but you can use Google Translate)

* Promotion will terminate automatically at 23:59 o'clock on the last day of subscription

Strange their 512 kbps are cheaper than the 384 kbps, what's the catch?

I always use code *900*3339# which gives me 1GB unlimited for 30 days at a full speed (42 mbps) and then throttled down to 128 kbps thereafter. Plus unlimited WiFi and all that for 399 baht.

If the above 512 kbps are truly unlimited (speed and data vise), it might be a better choice if access to True WiFi hotspots is not required. I don't watch streaming video so the full 42 mbps is not necessary but it's really noticeable when I hit my 1 GB limit and the speed drops to 128.

Gonna try 512 kbps unlimited -- 7-day* 59฿ *900*8909# next time.

post-214498-0-83130000-1430053357_thumb.

This is it ^^

As small as a packet of ciggies. Very thin.

I carry it with me on the m/c and it never loses the signal. That way I can carry on with wifi or read messages on LINE thast have been sent as I am travelling. Check football live scores and such.

It does automatically go into stand by mode when it is not receiving data. (I wondered why I was losing connection at times when in a static location). Saves battery power. I ran the unit with a full charge for 7 hours.

Small on / off switch on the right side of the green LEDs. Three LEDs (signal strength, wifi on, battery). Battery indicator flashes green on good charge and changes to red when very low.

Security Type WPA2 PSK

Radio type 802.11n

Signal strength excellent.

Hope this also helps.

I am happy with the unit myself, though it will not suit everyone.

I always use code *900*3339# which gives me 1GB unlimited for 30 days at a full speed (42 mbps) and then throttled down to 128 kbps thereafter. Plus unlimited WiFi and all that for 399 baht.

If the above 512 kbps are truly unlimited (speed and data vise), it might be a better choice if access to True WiFi hotspots is not required. I don't watch streaming video so the full 42 mbps is not necessary but it's really noticeable when I hit my 1 GB limit and the speed drops to 128.

the reasons seems that it is actually a promotion, valid until June 30th only

• Like 1

the reasons seems that it is actually a promotion, valid until June 30th only

TrueMove-H tends to state an "end date" in the small-print of their "terms and conditions" literature. This allows them to keep, change, alter or even stop how an account promotion is provisioned for a given USSD code. This one seems to have been allowed to stay as-is for a while now.

I should probably caution people posting codes or images of codes that include those extra digits in the promotional USSD code that are there to pay or reimburse a particular 3rd party vendors/resellers. No matter how useful the info is, ThaiVisa has stated it doesn't like promoting sales for non-sponsors and they may delete or edit the post, or suspend the account of the user if the posts are flagrant.

Maybe ThaiVisa should become an AIS / DTAC / TrueMove-H / TOT vendor/reseller and offer up those great promotional USSD promotional codes. Hmm.

attachicon.gifDSCN0334.JPG

This is it ^^

As small as a packet of ciggies. Very thin.

I carry it with me on the m/c and it never loses the signal. That way I can carry on with wifi or read messages on LINE thast have been sent as I am travelling. Check football live scores and such.

It does automatically go into stand by mode when it is not receiving data. (I wondered why I was losing connection at times when in a static location). Saves battery power. I ran the unit with a full charge for 7 hours.

Small on / off switch on the right side of the green LEDs. Three LEDs (signal strength, wifi on, battery). Battery indicator flashes green on good charge and changes to red when very low.

Security Type WPA2 PSK

Radio type 802.11n

Signal strength excellent.

Hope this also helps.

I am happy with the unit myself, though it will not suit everyone.

Try this to unlock it: http://tools.texby.com/unlock-codes/huawei/

The you can use it with any SIM.

I'm interested in the 512 kbps unlimited 7 day option , ive been to several 7-11 stores and not been able to find the promotion card on sale , If I go and buy any cheap TrueMove-H 3G SIM card , and make sure that theres more than 59 Baht credit on it , then all I have to do to get the 512 kbps unlimited 7 package , would be just enter a code ?

Not sure which code would be the best ?

A_zps6g6dylrv.jpg

B_zpspippnqez.jpg

C_zpslcpgexsf.jpg

Any thoughts please

Yes, that's the idea. But you only need to enter the code as in your example "C", *900*8909# Send

(The other codes with extra numbers in example "A" and "B" aren't necessary and will credit an unknown 3rd-party vendor)

Suggest you dial the code the morning you want to use service, as the 7 days clock is started always at 00:00 (midnight), and if you enter the code at 23:45 that 'day' would only be 15 minutes long.

Yes, that's the idea. But you only need to enter the code as in your example "C", *900*8909# Send

(The other codes with extra numbers in example "A" and "B" aren't necessary and will credit an unknown 3rd-party vendor)

Suggest you dial the code the morning you want to use service, as the 7 days clock is started always at 00:00 (midnight), and if you enter the code at 23:45 that 'day' would only be 15 minutes long.

RichCor , thanks for the information thumbsup.gif your a

Jack

I discovered two more websites in Thai that offer a lot of information.

If you prefer DTAC (sadly in my huge housing estate the 3G of DTAC is still mostly hit and miss with switching back to 2G every now and then), you should have a look at:

http://www.pro-dtac.com

they still have, at least until the end of May 2015, a daily offer of obviously unlimited usage at 384 KB/s, priced at 19 Baht (that is the first offer on this website).

the 7 day offer has obviously expired

then there is http://www.prothaidd.com which offers a lot of Info and sign-up-codes too, covering all three main providers

another update:

AIS has continued to tell me the 19 Baht 384 KB/s package will be limited to 300MB per day come 1st of May, and afterwards throttled to 64KB/s for the remainder of the day.

since 2 days, I did not get that "300 MB limit" message anymore when applying for the daily package.

Today, 1st of May, I did apply again for the said package, mostly to find out if that limit is in place, and it seems NO, as the confirmation msg did not give any indication that there is a limit now. maybe they thought it#s too harsh or will scare away users, as 384 KB/s is already not exactly a great speed.

then I found another pretty much up-to-date website in Thai, giving information about the plethora of packages available. this link directly leads to the AIS packages, though other providers are being covered too:

http://goodpro.net/ais/net