Magnitude-7.5 quake hits Nepal; heavy damage

Lite Beer

Based on the Richter scale and shallowness and near population centers in a poorer country, it seemed obvious to me from the start this is a really bad one. I don't think anything of the scale of Haiti though.

Haiti might be a good comparison. Mostly brick construction like here, minimal rebar (if any) in many structures. Dense population zone. This is a very, very bad one.

Well, anyway, God help 'em, however it compares to other recent quakes.

Based on the Richter scale and shallowness and near population centers in a poorer country, it seemed obvious to me from the start this is a really bad one. I don't think anything of the scale of Haiti though.

Haiti might be a good comparison. Mostly brick construction like here, minimal rebar (if any) in many structures. Dense population zone. This is a very, very bad one.

Well, anyway, God help 'em, however it compares to other recent quakes.

I think roughly 300K people killed in Haiti.

So far the very worse scenario estimates I'm hearing on this is 100K.

But yes beyond that I do see the similarities.

The thought of hundreds or thousands trapped right now, alive and with broken arms and legs and no hope of treatment or help, isn't an easy one.

I'm not exactly religious, but God, Allah, Buddah and every other deity out there, Bless them.

By sheer irony I currently have Metallica's 'For whom the Bells Toll' blasting through the sound system.

• Like 1

100 k is way way to high

even now only reporting less than 2,000

BUT they have not been able to travel to remote villages where it will be worse for sure an those people have no access to anythng and all help needs to be walked in, no roads in many parts of Nepal

I still wonder if the Pokhara-Kathmandu road was damaged.

Friend in Pokhara said 2 dead and no real bad damage but Patan and Bhakatapur were hit bad

100 k is way way to high

even now only reporting less than 2,000

BUT they have not been able to travel to remote villages where it will be worse for sure an those people have no access to anythng and all help needs to be walked in, no roads in many parts of Nepal

I still wonder if the Pokhara-Kathmandu road was damaged.

Friend in Pokhara said 2 dead and no real bad damage but Patan and Bhakatapur were hit bad

No point in obsessing on that number at this point.

Another important factor is more people can (and might) die after the earthquake events as a result of them.

Cases of not being rescued, disease from the bodies, lack of treatment, infrastructure breakdown, etc.

Help will be coming now from the world but if the infrastructure is broken, that limits what can be done.