Where in Bangkok can I get Proof of residence document

Where in Bangkok can I get Proof of residence document so I not have to pay 1500 baht at U.S. embassy . I got first one at Jontiem Thai imigration office a year ago fast and easy + 200 baht to get drivers license . Now I live in Bangkok and need another one to turn my one year drivers license into a 5 year and do not want to travel to Pattaya or pay1500 baht at my US embassy do not want to go to the big Thai imigration outside of central Bangkok if possible . I do 90 day check ins at Imperial Word Ladprao on 5th floor and that's closer but not sure if I can get that there ? Any help would be great ?

Your local immigration office (Chaeng Wattana for Bangkok) should be able to provide you one of these.

They charge 500 Baht where I am for this but I'm not in Bangkok.

The question is : Is it worth going all the way to Chaeng Wattana just to save 1000 Baht ? It will be a several hours long round trip plus waiting and processing time.

Edit: You can only use the immigration office in the area where you live.

Edited by ukrules

If you are doing 90 day reports in Bangkok you can get a certificate of residency from immigration at Chaeng Wattana. Be sure you have your current receipt to show them for your most recent report to Las Phrao.

The fee will be 200 baht. They will EMS it of you in about 3 week after you apply for it.

• Like 1

what documents are required/accepted to get such a proof of residence nowadays?

Will a postpaid phone bill from a Thai mobile provider suffice ? The thing is that my rental contract is basically not worth the paper it is written on and only in English, as my landlord (a not so friendly Farang/Thai couple) refused to use a standardized one and just told me "we use our own sort of contract" - but when I moved in here I was under time pressure and really wanted this Condo so I had not much choice but to accept

Your local immigration office (Chaeng Wattana for Bangkok) should be able to provide you one of these.

They charge 500 Baht where I am for this but I'm not in Bangkok.

The question is : Is it worth going all the way to Chaeng Wattana just to save 1000 Baht ? It will be a several hours long round trip plus waiting and processing time.

Edit: You can only use the immigration office in the area where you live.

'The question is : Is it worth going all the way to Chaeng Wattana just to save 1000 Baht ? It will be a several hours long round trip plus waiting and processing time.' A pain the rear, to be sure, but dependent on where in Bangkok you live, it shouldn't be several hours. However, I agree that the time and cost, plus queuing up, is probably not worth the saving.

Probably not the place to ask but sort of on this topic......

When renewing my Thai drivers license do I need a new letter of residence ?

I still have copies of the one I got from Lop Buri immigration last time, no charge.

Robby I have copies of mine also but gave original when I went to take driving and written test getting my one year temporary . When I got my temporary license that day I asked the lady working there how do I get the five-year version of this license. She handed me a document that had a list of things to do and said come back in one year and bring the following things. The first thing on the list was the original document called proof of residence document. Now that I asked here about getting another one here and seeing much more difficult and or expensive in Bangkok ( where I am currently ) than where I did in Pattaya last year ( thank you for reply to those that chimed in ) I am actually thinking about going back to Thai DMV and just taking a copy from last years document I gave them instead of going to the trouble of getting a new one . I would also bring along my rent receipts , phone bills , utility bills , original copy of lease and would hope this works even offering a tip equal the what I would have to pay with other options and save that additional trip and waiting time . Always and option in Thailand right ? I don't know but if it not work just go back with proper form after I go get but possibly I could bypass the additional trip and just improvise with some grease ? Hmmmmm

I like the poem below when I find myself irritated

THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.

Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,

some momentary awareness comes

as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,

who violently sweep your house

empty of its furniture,

still, treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out

for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,

meet them at the door laughing,

and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes,

because each has been sent

as a guide from beyond.

Edited by Lumbini

Height of stupidity and greed: a document you need to transfer ownership of a vehicle, and which should be free and readily available takes three or more weeks, and requires a payment several times the actual postage, for which no change is given. And the lone woman in charge of this service at Chaeng Wattana is an unconscionable witch, with a 'b'.

Pay at the Embassy, or wait...Thai bureaucrats do love their petty little scams.

(Interesting to note that it's now 200 baht. Last time I tried it, 2011, it was 100 baht)

Height of stupidity and greed: a document you need to transfer ownership of a vehicle, and which should be free and readily available takes three or more weeks, and requires a payment several times the actual postage, for which no change is given. And the lone woman in charge of this service at Chaeng Wattana is an unconscionable witch, with a 'b'.

Pay at the Embassy, or wait...Thai bureaucrats do love their petty little scams.

(Interesting to note that it's now 200 baht. Last time I tried it, 2011, it was 100 baht)

Even corruption is subject to inflation. blink.png

If I apply for my residence certificate at Chaeng Wattana (where I did my last 90-day report), how long would I have to wait to get my certificate if I am willing to return to the office to pick it up? My drivers license expires in less than 3 weeks so I don't have the time to wait for it to arrive in the mail.