High opening windows

Building a little chalet of this rough shape (sorry left the plan at home)

post-120824-0-53039000-1430041266_thumb.

So I want two modest size windows between the two roofs high up. (there will be a bit more space between the two roofs.....the windows might be 90cm wide by 60cm high)

So these windows will be about 4 or 5 metres high allowing convection and high level light into the room whose ceiling will be the sloping underside of the roof.

I shall need some sort of remote opener.

I favour manual to keep it simple.

I have found a few fittings and wonder of anyone experienced here will recommend which hang of window/fitting combination would work best and longest.

post-120824-0-36988100-1430041622_thumb.

post-120824-0-16724500-1430041658_thumb.post-120824-0-78318800-1430041677_thumb.

Must admit I kinda favour the simplest the long hook with an eye catch like I'm sure i remember at school.

Thanks TRogers

You mean divide these high windows up into panes?

(at the main floor level there will be a 3.4m wide set of sliding doors/fixed panes, and two windows much larger than these two high ones. Maybe even a framed glass front door. These would presumably be easier to break in to.)

Edited by cheeryble

I would advise framed windows with glass panels not exceeding 20cm width to prevent possible break-in by burglars.

I'm sure the house is going to have much more accessible windows and doors than these - why climb a roof, and need to drop 5M down, when you can just walk in? :P

The long hook thing did used to work well in old steel frames, but modern frames often fit quite snugly and do need a real pull or push to close them. This may not be easy to do from below. Also modern frames dont have the old type of "slam-shut" lock, as far as I know.

So I would be inclined to look at threaded solutions, like the last one.

The long hook thing did used to work well in old steel frames, but modern frames often fit quite snugly and do need a real pull or push to close them. This may not be easy to do from below. Also modern frames dont have the old type of "slam-shut" lock, as far as I know.

So I would be inclined to look at threaded solutions, like the last one.

You have a point Kitty.

Though one factor is that vertically below the first window will be a 2 or so metre high sliding glass door and below the other an "open" wardrobe with concrete shelving.

This means it may be awkward to use a device fixed to the wall.....at least having to stand on a chair.

Not the end of the world but best avoided.

Edited by cheeryble

I imagine that there must be some sort of threaded method that can be operated from below with a pole.

yes I guess that's what my middle picture above would be.

Not sure how it veers from horizontal (the thread) to vertical (the pole).

I would advise framed windows with glass panels not exceeding 20cm width to prevent possible break-in by burglars.

I'm sure the house is going to have much more accessible windows and doors than these - why climb a roof, and need to drop 5M down, when you can just walk in? :P

Door and Windows near ground level can be protected by metal grilles when needed, but this roof window would face difficulty in opening and closing when grilles are added.

• Like 1

I imagine that there must be some sort of threaded method that can be operated from below with a pole.

yes I guess that's what my middle picture above would be.

Not sure how it veers from horizontal (the thread) to vertical (the pole).

Oh yes. I was wondering what that was!

Actually security may not need to be so tight.

It is going to be an occasional cottage, starting off with one good room with a large balcony (designed for easy add-on rooms if it works out).

So really a bit like a hotel room we wouldn't leave anything particularly valuable when we go away.....and if we find more valuable stuff staying there there will be a safe room down below, strongly built with a strong door, it could hold gardening machinery, motorbike and bikes etc one day. Or sisters house only 400m.

An uncle is a bit lower just 60m away so any big noise he may hopefully hear. At least he may be a deterrent.

I have so far not planned on window grilles.

Edited by cheeryble