Could this have happened in Thailand

I realize that this should be on the Pub site but couldot find it sorry.

Watching teh news on Baltimore and the riots and thinking back to whent hemilitary took over I have to wonder is this what would have happened if the military had of stepped in.

I know that it may ofend the american s here but is not the calling in of the national Guard just one step below what the General did here?

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

OP, what do you mean "IF" the military had stepped in? It stepped in big time.

Orac stated it quite well.

Calling in the National Guard to restore order in Baltimore is nothing like what happened here. Not even close.

My personal opinion is that if the military had not stepped in and taken over, than the Thailand situation would have been much worse than the events happening in the States at present. I think this country would had been at civil war.

I can remember my neighbors talking about the situation, all staunch red shirt supporters, I was extremely worried at the time.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that if the military had not stepped in and taken over, than the Thailand situation would have been much worse than the events happening in the States at present. I think this country would had been at civil war.

I can remember my neighbors talking about the situation, all staunch red shirt supporters, I was extremely worried at the time.

In dutch we have a saying......wat in het vat zit, verzuurt niet.....meaning....what is there deep down, will come out eventually.

The National Guard belongs to the state and answers to the governor. The governor ordered them into action. This might tell people something about the sovereignty of each state, having its own military fully equipped with fighters, etc. The US isn't a democracy but rather is a republic of 50 states.

Orac stated it perfectly. The guard obeyed the elected governor. This is the farthest thing from a coup.

• Like 1

It was a civil war. A very short one with little bloodshed. Not surprisingly the people with all the guns, tanks and aircraft won. The people who were not equipped thus and, amazingly, seemed to have more faith in the ballot-box than in the gun, lost.

You should not have been scared. The time to be scared is when those people give up their faith in the ballot-box.

• Like 2

In dutch we have a saying......wat in het vat zit, verzuurt niet.....meaning....what is there deep down, will come out eventually.

Yes, I agree with that. What is lying beneath will eventually come to the surface.

At the moment which path Thailand takes is very uncertain, as future events could determine the shape of things to come.

For now we have a intermediary force that keeps each disputing side in check, but who can tell what the situation will be here in the next 5 years?