Double Entry Visa 29th April 2015 - Bangkok Don Mueang to Vientiane via Udon Thani airport

Good post and a hint for that money you are already in bali and get a triple but for sure if you are under time pressure this might be the better choice

Bali would require 3 tickets out of the country to issue a tripple entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

Good post. Another option for Bangkok based people is to catch the daily Bangkok-Vientiane bus, which leaves around 8pm and arrives at the border sometime after 6am, shortly thereafter it arrives in downtown Vientiane, stopping at the morning market from where it's less than 2km to the Thai embassy. It costs 900 Baht and you would save a night's hotel stay. However, it is a long journey and an overnight bus journey might not be for everyone. The bus leaves from Mo Chit.

On the return, the bus reportedly leaves a little earlier, I think around 6pm and gets into Bangkok perhaps at 4 or 5am. Not sure, I've never taken it but I know it's there if you need it.

• Like 2

Good post and a hint for that money you are already in bali and get a triple but for sure if you are under time pressure this might be the better choice

Bali would require 3 tickets out of the country to issue a tripple entry tourist visa.

correct,

Vienna asks also 2 or 3 flights out if you want a multiple,

didn't accept my argument, that i will go by land to Combodia and back;

They told me instead to take the 2nd Visa in Combodia :-))

Im planning on making this trip next month crossing by land at Friendship bridge. Mango66 are you saying that Vientiane ask for booked flights out of Thailand to issue anything more than a single entry tourust visa?

• Like 1

correct,

Im planning on making this trip next month crossing by land at Friendship bridge. Mango66 are you saying that Vientiane ask for booked flights out of Thailand to issue anything more than a single entry tourust visa?

Vientiane is not asking for tickets out of the country.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

correct,

Why the reference to Vienna ( A big city in Austria) when this topic is about obtaining a tourist visa in Vientiane?

Good to know: Bali, Vienna (from posts above) and Berlin (own experience) require proof of leaving for each entry, whereas Vientiene still issues double entry tourist visas without proof of leaving (but how long until they want proof of leaving as well?).

• Like 1

My decision to try this route was partly due to my own stupid mistake of using the wrong date on my old double entry visa where I used the first 60 days and extended at Chang Wattana for an extra 30 days. I had 2 dates in my passport being original visa of the 25th April and a Chang Wattana extension of the 27th April. I made the horrendous mistake of booking a visa run on the 26th with BangkokBuddy.com the replacement service for GolfJack.com who makes runs to the border every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday leaving Sukhumvit Soi 12 at 5:00am sharp.

The other reason is that as Thailand has so many holidays in April I wanted to get my visa in the shortest and cheapest way possible and overstay for the shortest possible time which even though I explained to the immigration officer in Thai to the best of my ability still cost me 1,000 baht for the 2 days I overstayed planning and organizing this trip along with an uncaring glair from the same guy while he repeated to me "1,000 baht. 2 days"

IMPORTANT - First of all CHECK EVERY DATE carefully using the dates on the actual visa for reference not the extention as any mistake and you have to start the whole process again along with checking any Thai National Holidays because these are always random dates and can mess your whole plan up.

Help me here. Are you saying that you weren't really an overstay, but when the man says overstay, 1,000 baht you do what you have to do. If you are saying you really did overlook something and you were an overstay, I'm missing why. Why wasn't the extension from Chang Wattana controlling? The original entry stamp would have been for 60 days after entry.

Arriving at Udon Thani International on time I very quickly went through immigration

I trust that you meant you went through baggage claim as you don't go through immigration at all on a domestic flight. And yes, I have flown into Udon Thani.

• Like 1

My decision to try this route was partly due to my own stupid mistake of using the wrong date on my old double entry visa where I used the first 60 days and extended at Chang Wattana for an extra 30 days. I had 2 dates in my passport being original visa of the 25th April and a Chang Wattana extension of the 27th April. I made the horrendous mistake of booking a visa run on the 26th with BangkokBuddy.com the replacement service for GolfJack.com who makes runs to the border every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday leaving Sukhumvit Soi 12 at 5:00am sharp.

The other reason is that as Thailand has so many holidays in April I wanted to get my visa in the shortest and cheapest way possible and overstay for the shortest possible time which even though I explained to the immigration officer in Thai to the best of my ability still cost me 1,000 baht for the 2 days I overstayed planning and organizing this trip along with an uncaring glair from the same guy while he repeated to me "1,000 baht. 2 days"

IMPORTANT - First of all CHECK EVERY DATE carefully using the dates on the actual visa for reference not the extention as any mistake and you have to start the whole process again along with checking any Thai National Holidays because these are always random dates and can mess your whole plan up.

Help me here. Are you saying that you weren't really an overstay, but when the man says overstay, 1,000 baht you do what you have to do. If you are saying you really did overlook something and you were an overstay, I'm missing why. Why wasn't the extension from Chang Wattana controlling? The original entry stamp would have been for 60 days after entry.

Arriving at Udon Thani International on time I very quickly went through immigration

I trust that you meant you went through baggage claim as you don't go through immigration at all on a domestic flight. And yes, I have flown into Udon Thani.

No, I'm not saying I wasn't overstay, I extended my visa at Chang Wattana for 30 days, who gave me a second date 2 days after the date printed on the visa from Vientiane. You must use the date printed on the big visa they stick into your passport to activate your second 60 days. Chang Wanttana didn't say anything to me about the dates in my passport and I assumed (wrongly) their date was the correct date. I tried to do a visa run on the day before the C.W date but was told I would only get 30 days for 2,500 baht. I met up with Bangkok Buddy at 4am in the morning (Who didn't check my visa either - despite her saying she always checks her clients passport before booking a place in the van) only to be told the great news. I made a decision at 4am to go home and not do the run as planned.

Immigration at the border used the 2nd date (Chang Wattana stamp) to calculate my overstay (2 days). If from visa date then it would have been 4 days overstay.

Edit: Yes, I went quickly through Udon Thani Airport for 2 reasons. 1 there is no immigration because domestic flight and 2. I didn't check in any luggage (only had carry on)

Edited by MaxiJaz

Could you put the timing?

What time did you arrive at the Embassy?

I arrived at Udon Thani at 7am and went to the border in Nong Kai (Friendship bridge). Arrived at the bridge about 8.30am. Through immigration and across the bridge by 9.00am. Applied Laos Visa and arranged taxi at the same time. Visa arrived about 10.00 because they decided to have a 20 minutes break and closed the windows. Once I had the visa I went through the border and the taxi took me directly to the Embassy arriving about 10.30am.

No, they do not ask for anything at the embassy. Just complete the paperwork, add 2 pictures and pay. The guy asked 1 question. "Do you want double entry?" I said "Yes, Please" that was it

Good to know: Bali, Vienna (from posts above) and Berlin (own experience) require proof of leaving for each entry, whereas Vientiene still issues double entry tourist visas without proof of leaving (but how long until they want proof of leaving as well?).

I'm not sure but as they are only 20km from the border what proof could you provide? I think most people are doing land crossings from Vientiane so they if started to want proof of leaving it would kill this route or you would have to fly back from the airport in Vientiane (Book the flight before going to immigration?). I don't see it happening but yes. it's possible.