Best pre-paid SIM for 2 month stay in Thailand

A friend is coming to stay in Thailand for 2 months and asked me for a recommendation for the best pre-paid SIM to get. I haven't a clue.

Although I live here, I'm probably the least sophisticated mobile user in Thailand. I have one, but use it so seldom that on the rare occasions I make a call it usually doesn't work because the validity has expired. facepalm.gif

So any advice on what would be a good pre-paid SIM to get would be greatly appreciated. And make me appear to be less ignorant about mobile phones than I really am.

Also, am I right in assuming that such a SIM might be purchased somewhere at Suvarnabhumi? Or at a 7-11?

Many thanks!

Best pre-paid SIM for what,

...Domestic Calling and SMS?
...International Calling and SMS?
...3G/LTE Data Internet ... at what level of consumption?

...the service area he will be in? Some companies work better than others in a given area.

No 'one' company is really the 'best' at all four areas, but TrueMove-H, AIS and DTAC seem to be the front-runners for delivering actual working service.

SIMs for the top 5 mobile companies (AIS, DTAC, TRUE, MyCAT, TOT3G) are available at most mobile shops. Specials or promotions for the first three companies can usually be found at 7-Eleven (I picked up a True SIM for 2baht a few months back).

Also, will his phone be compatible. Is it SIM unlocked and will it work on one of the 850, 900, 2100 bands used in Thailand?

Primarily domestic and SMS. Data would be a nice-to-have I suppose. Would be pretty light usage, e-mail, google search, that sort of thing.

She would be spending the first week in Bangkok and then the remaining time in Phuket. She'll have internet access while in Phuket so I guess the data would be mostly useful for the first week.

She has a Nokia Lumia 520 and it is unlocked. It supports GSM 850/900 (and 1800/1900).

I'd pick TrueMove-H. Sometimes their SIMs are given away free at Thailand International Airports. If no other promotions are found the SIM can be purchased from most shops for 49 baht.

TrueMove-H PrePay 3G Tourist InterSIM (for terms and conditions)

While they offers tons of promotions, the one I'd suggest for light email and browsing would be either their "in 7-Eleven" 3G 512kbps Unlimited Data 7-day 59-baht pegboard promotion *or* with top-up credit, dial *900*8909# for a similar promotion. With adequate top-up level, domestic calls are 1฿/min and SMS 2฿/message.

Thank you, RichCor and Saan for the helpful replies.

After being steered in the right direction by RichCor I looked into it and she can pick up a free 3G Tourist Inter SIM from the TrueStore at Suvarnabhumi. However, most flights from the US arrive pretty late in the evening (9 pm or later) so that shop will more than likely be closed when she arrives. There are two 7-11 stores at the airport and they should sell the 49 B and 299 B versions of the same card. Sounds like just what she needs.

Good to know about the one 2 call from AIS as well (thanks Saan). I'll let her know about that possibility too. She's bilingual (Thai/English), but for me it's good to know they can handle English queries.

At least now I have something to tell her that might be helpful. She knows I'm not a phone person, so I'm sure this recommendation will be more than she expected to get from me. Thanks guys!

I think you can get a 30 day Sim at the airport for around $30 unlimited data and lots of local minutes. Having data makes traveling a lot easier. It made a huge difference on my second trip, including when I was fairly drunk and lost Pulled out the phone and instantly knew how to get back to the hotel.

When you have the data you can use Skype for cheap calls back to home. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider&hl=en

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

be aware on suwarnabhumi -

last time , 3 weeks ago, huge ques by chinese,

half hr min waitung time, until their translater finished their requests,

free for all :-));

So if no que, best take a simm there, including some limited data access;

DTAC or AIS, True looks cheap, but on end more expensive and very triky !!

otherwise dont waste any time and take one at 7-11 or mobile shop;

Just from memory Skatewash, I normally use AIS 12call. Get 1Gig of 3G data with dirt cheap calls for something like THB499. 2G for 599 or so. Or less for less if you want. It's in that ball park. Lasts 1 month. Top up if needed. Covers my needs which are roughly similar to what you described.

AIS has the widest coverage in my experience (it's the oldest and therefore widest net I think), but there are corners (like the house I rent in Hua Hin) where it can be a bit ropey. Have to say I haven't been in LOS since early last year, so prices are under caveat.