A very random topic - Changing motorcycle horns.

Hi All,

I know this is random but I don't know who to ask and any my Thai isn't up to scratch with discussions about motorcycle horns.

I have a 7 year old Yamaha Nouvo and with Bangkok's dangerous roads, I'd like to upgrade my horn to that of a Honda. They're super loud (or at least the PCX's I rented was loud). Does anybody know if this is possible and how much a new PCX horn would cost??

Thank you in advance.

EZ.

Not much.

Haha. Forum quiet nowadays?

Don't you miss the trolling / flaming / fights / insults / heated discussions / disagreements we use to have in the past?

Edited by Gweiloman

Change it if you like but it wont make a difference they will still cut you off.

Only thing that gets a reaction is taking their mirror off by accident when they are stuck in traffic.

You can get louder aftermarket ones for a few hundred Baht at any motorcycle shop pretty much. If you want a Honda brand one you can go to a Honda dealer and I think the stock horn is about 200 Baht. There are a few motorcycle part shops on Phaholyothin Road on the right side if you are coming from Victory Monument and they are after the Big-C at Saphan Kwai and right before you reach Chatuchak market. The 2-3 shops there should have some at cheap prices.

With the aftermarket ones sometimes you have an issue with their bigger size though being a challenge to place on the bike somewhere. Often they wont fit int he small place for the stock horn.

Electrical connection is always very easy though. It is just two plug and play wires that slip on and off. If you buy a bigger and more powerful double barreled air horn though you might need to attach an extra electrical relay as well.

To remove the old horn it is normally one screw that holds it on there. A Phillips head screw driver should do it.

I would just buy one and get some motorcycle repair shop to attach it for you and pay them 100-200 Baht for the labor. Easier. You can probably buy a bigger horn for 400 Baht and get it installed for less than 200 Baht. Total around 500-600 Baht.

Here is an example of a loud and inexpensive after market horn. Louder than any stock horn:

http://ridersconnect.tarad.com/product-th-774119-6177508-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3+Mocc+Ultra+thin+510Hz+Euro+Sports+Horn+12V.html

Size might be an issue though with placement on your bike and might need a shop to help figure out where to install it on your bike. May need an extra bracket or something.

That looks like the one I installed on my ceeber.

Nice & loud!

Got into a spell of rain on a road trip and it died.

It came back weeks later after thorough drying.

Then died again later.

These probably are fine if you avoid wet riding,

or the horn is well protected, like my Nouvo.

This or one from a PCX, I'm guessing no problem to install in yours.

Edited by papa al

You can get one of those Chinese horns for peanuts ( they sell so many, I think they are 150B ) down at 320SP in WongWienYai. There is a battery there and you can test them out before you buy. Eventho' its a shop, they have 4-5 "mechanics" fitting out your purchases for free.

Its situated in an alleyway off the roundabout, a cool ( and rather loud ) place to visit on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited by recom273

The best airhorn I've found and are currently using is a Steibel Nautilus compact airhorn. Ive tried others but found them wanting. I even went to a cheap chinese twin trumpet airhorn, it worked ok but was a real pain to instal due to the trumpet size.

However the Steibel is a nice compact unit and I managed to fit it onto the side of my CRF250m with little effort. I did have to buy a relay and extra wire but as I like to tinker around with electrical issues it wasnt a problem. If however you arent too sure then Id do as recommended earlier and get a local bike repair shop to instal for you.

Oh the Steibel isnt cheap in comparison to other horns but I think 1000 baht is money well spent when you see the Thai drivers literally leap out of their skins, should you give them a 'blast'. The missus is not happy but I am as its saved me from a few 'bloody close' situations. You'll still get idiots that think its ok to cut you off or cut in front of you (Possibly due to the fact that they dont realise the true use for mirrors.....not just to pop zits in) but believe me, a blast on the Steibel will get them back into their lane pretty fast. They sound more like large truck airhorns and I love that.

The best airhorn I've found and are currently using is a Steibel Nautilus compact airhorn. Ive tried others but found them wanting. I even went to a cheap chinese twin trumpet airhorn, it worked ok but was a real pain to instal due to the trumpet size.

However the Steibel is a nice compact unit and I managed to fit it onto the side of my CRF250m with little effort. I did have to buy a relay and extra wire but as I like to tinker around with electrical issues it wasnt a problem. If however you arent too sure then Id do as recommended earlier and get a local bike repair shop to instal for you.

Oh the Steibel isnt cheap in comparison to other horns but I think 1000 baht is money well spent when you see the Thai drivers literally leap out of their skins, should you give them a 'blast'. The missus is not happy but I am as its saved me from a few 'bloody close' situations. You'll still get idiots that think its ok to cut you off or cut in front of you (Possibly due to the fact that they dont realise the true use for mirrors.....not just to pop zits in) but believe me, a blast on the Steibel will get them back into their lane pretty fast. They sound more like large truck airhorns and I love that.

That Steibel looks like the bomb:

Love it! Not sure where I would mount it though on any Honda sport bike.

You got a snap perhaps of where you hung it on your 250?

Also, did you buy it here in the land of vertical smiles or did you bring it in from overseas?

I`ll try and get a photo on soon. I purchased the Steibel from a shop up here in Chiang Mai. It was completely out of the blue that I found it as I went into a shop that Id never been into before. It was actually a car accessories shop and they had lots of spotlights/horns car stereos etc.

I saw all the bog standard horns then tried to explain what I was after (My Thai language is very poor) after making very little headway and about to leave I spotted the beastie in a glass cabinet. The rest is history.

I cant remember the name of the shop, just know its across from the Shangra La posh hotel on Chang Klan Rd.

Ok time to go get a photo thumbsup.gif

Well I got a few photos on the cellphone but now the darn bluetooth on the laptop doesnt want to play ball, either that or my cellphone has shat itself. Bloody technology.....its good when it works.

Now to hunt out my camera and then to find a memory card usb adaptor, life is tough sometimessmile.png

If you have a smartphone you can download the TapaTalk app for free and surf this forum using that app. The app makes it easy then to also upload photos directly from your smartphone into a forum post. I'm using TapaTalk right now. Such an easier way to post on forums from a smartphone. Just that not all forums are setup to work with TapaTalk. But ThaiVisa is at least.