Looking for American muscle car

Hi again guys,

Most of you will probably dislike the fact that I now found this 1985 Camaro IROZ-Z for sale. 5.7l engine (305 cui?)

I like that car. If you're right about the size it's a 350. Those came with a 305 which is 5 liter.

The reason for that is that IROC racing limits engine size to 5 liters. This is the same reason that the early Z/28 Camaros had a 302 which was a destroked 327 cube engine. Can Am and IROC rules - 5 liters.

If you put a 283 crank in a 327 you got 302 because the 283 had the same bore but a shorter stroke than a 327.

A 5 liter simply doesn't have enough torque to feel strong on the street. The last hot one was the Z/28 which had a 12:1 compression ratio and the Duntov 30/30 solid lifter cam. It didn't begin to develop much power until about 4000 RPM but could run all day at 9,000, no kidding. This is great on a race track but no good on the street.

This is the same cam, compresson and setup as the 340/365/375 hp 327's found in some 62 Vettes. The solid lifters are awesome sounding when running (.030 lash) and the engines lope when idling.

GM had to produce and sell a certain number of those camaros and IROCs to the public because the race rules were that they had to be racing a stock car available to the public.

Edelbrock makes brand new heads for small blocks so that you can match up what you need for compression ratio and get the good (bigger) 2.02" intake valves and larger runners. That's what came on all of the hot small blocks beginning about 62. Use a Comp Cams 280H hydraulic cam instead of the Duntov 30/30 solid lifter cam and it will get streetable but still sound and run tough and hard.

I wouldn't build a 305. I'd find a 350 which will drop right in and use the same heads, intake and all. Torque is very noticeably better which is what gets you away from a stop sign in a hurry.

Cheers

I agree but in 62 the engine options for the 327 were, 300, 340 and 360hp and more 340hp engine options were sold as the fuel injection on the 360hp engine was very hard to keep tuned properly. The 375hp 327 engine was not available till 1964.

Edited by Rdrokit

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-mustang-2dr-bangkok-metropolitan-on-nut/2179364/

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-mustang-bangkok-metropolitan-on-nut/2254076/

The second one isn't the correct year and the 2.5 liter mentioned in the ad, is maybe a 2.5 liter Toyota engine, i guess.

Soooooooooooo over priced. The first one is nice, 351ci engine but 3.5 mi;;ion baht for a 70 Mustang. That would be a little over 100,000US. At best in the US that car would be $30,000. And that second car is a laugh. It's advertised as a 76 and it is a 69. Has a 2.5 liter Toyota 6 cylinder and they want 1.85 million. That car wouldn't;t bring more than $10,000 in the US.

It's not in the US.

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-mustang-2dr-bangkok-metropolitan-on-nut/2179364/

http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-mustang-bangkok-metropolitan-on-nut/2254076/

The second one isn't the correct year and the 2.5 liter mentioned in the ad, is maybe a 2.5 liter Toyota engine, i guess.

Soooooooooooo over priced. The first one is nice, 351ci engine but 3.5 mi;;ion baht for a 70 Mustang. That would be a little over 100,000US. At best in the US that car would be $30,000. And that second car is a laugh. It's advertised as a 76 and it is a 69. Has a 2.5 liter Toyota 6 cylinder and they want 1.85 million. That car wouldn't;t bring more than $10,000 in the US.

It's not in the US.

Gee really? Glad you told me. I was just putting down some numbers to show the comparison prices for classic American cars and how outrageous the prices are here in Thailand.

Found this on FB today. Not a word or a pic about the engine though.

If this car has legal papers and Thai license plates, then the price isn't expensive at all. Engine should be 6.6 liter in 1979 model (Olds 403), after that,(1980) came the 4.9 liter Turbo with a different hood scoop. 4.9 liter was crap

Edited by stingray

Hi again guys,

Most of you will probably dislike the fact that I now found this 1985 Camaro IROZ-Z for sale. 5.7l engine (305 cui?)

I like that car. If you're right about the size it's a 350. Those came with a 305 which is 5 liter.

The reason for that is that IROC racing limits engine size to 5 liters. This is the same reason that the early Z/28 Camaros had a 302 which was a destroked 327 cube engine. Can Am and IROC rules - 5 liters.

If you put a 283 crank in a 327 you got 302 because the 283 had the same bore but a shorter stroke than a 327.

A 5 liter simply doesn't have enough torque to feel strong on the street. The last hot one was the Z/28 which had a 12:1 compression ratio and the Duntov 30/30 solid lifter cam. It didn't begin to develop much power until about 4000 RPM but could run all day at 9,000, no kidding. This is great on a race track but no good on the street.

This is the same cam, compresson and setup as the 340/365/375 hp 327's found in some 62 Vettes. The solid lifters are awesome sounding when running (.030 lash) and the engines lope when idling.

GM had to produce and sell a certain number of those camaros and IROCs to the public because the race rules were that they had to be racing a stock car available to the public.

Edelbrock makes brand new heads for small blocks so that you can match up what you need for compression ratio and get the good (bigger) 2.02" intake valves and larger runners. That's what came on all of the hot small blocks beginning about 62. Use a Comp Cams 280H hydraulic cam instead of the Duntov 30/30 solid lifter cam and it will get streetable but still sound and run tough and hard.

I wouldn't build a 305. I'd find a 350 which will drop right in and use the same heads, intake and all. Torque is very noticeably better which is what gets you away from a stop sign in a hurry.

Cheers

I agree but in 62 the engine options for the 327 were, 300, 340 and 360hp and more 340hp engine options were sold as the fuel injection on the 360hp engine was very hard to keep tuned properly. The 375hp 327 engine was not available till 1964.

You are right. It's been a long time and I'm getting old, LOL. I hate that when it happens but I see the 30/30 Duntov cam and the 365/375 engines were '64 and 1962 was 340/360 HP as you say.

Now that you point it out I even remember that you are right. I think the '62 vette is my favorite of all of them even thought the later ones with 4 wheel independent suspension rode and handled better. The '62 was still a solid rear axle IIRC which I probably don't, LOL.

A new '62 vette cost about US$5,000 and a friend of mine bought one used but nice in about 1965 for $3,500. It was a 340 HP and a 4 speed of course and had both tops. That was all they were worth at the time and insurance was expensive especially for young guys.

As for the 365 HP version, nothing and I mean nothing sounds nicer on the street than the solids running on that Duntov 30/30 cam.

Cheers

Hi again guys,

Cheers

You are right. It's been a long time and I'm getting old, LOL. I hate that when it happens but I see the 30/30 Duntov cam and the 365/375 engines were '64 and 1962 was 340/360 HP as you say.

Now that you point it out I even remember that you are right. I think the '62 vette is my favorite of all of them even thought the later ones with 4 wheel independent suspension rode and handled better. The '62 was still a solid rear axle IIRC which I probably don't, LOL.

A new '62 vette cost about US$5,000 and a friend of mine bought one used but nice in about 1965 for $3,500. It was a 340 HP and a 4 speed of course and had both tops. That was all they were worth at the time and insurance was expensive especially for young guys.

As for the 365 HP version, nothing and I mean nothing sounds nicer on the street than the solids running on that Duntov 30/30 cam.

Cheers

Yes, they sounded great. Here is a pic of my old 63 340hp. Fun car to drive.

63Vette.jpg