Looking for glycerol a.k.a. glycerin

attrayant

Has anyone seen glycerol in Thailand? I can find only boroglycerin at pharmacies, which won't meet my needs. As many different uses as it has, it's hard to believe I can't find it. I've also checked nail salon supply shops & local mom 'n pop hardwares to no avail. Thanks.

Last resort is ordering online, though I'd rather not pay $50 shipping for a $3 bottle.

Might help if you said where you are ?

I didn't say because I didn't want the results to be limited to just my area. Anywhere in Thailand would be better than ordering it from the other side of the world, but I'm in northern Bangkok.

I didn't see it listed in any of their PDFs, but the Honghuat site appears to only sell in 30 gallon drums and similar large quantities.

[edit] I take that back - seems they have little retail shops as well and sell a 1KG jug. Still a lot more than I need but I can't be choosy at this point. Thanks for the lead.

Edited by attrayant

Must admit I looked all over Pattaya for glycerin- I was making a Christmas cake- and you add glycerin to Royal icing - stops it going rock hard and breaking your teeth.

Had a friend bring some over from the UK.

Why do you need glycerin ? Just interested ?

I use it in some chemistry demonstrations and what little I had brought with me from the states four years ago has turned wet over time (it's very hygroscopic and soaks up water vapor from the air, rendering it ineffective for some chemical reactions).

• 1 year later...

I got one liter from a soap-making supplies shop near me for about 60B. The lady had it in a drum and dispensed one liter into what looked like a recycled water bottle.

Gammaco and Suksapan Panit both carry it in lab-grade bottles that are more classroom-presentable. Gammaco is quite far from me, but offers free delivery if your purchase order is 3000B or more, while Suksapan Panit may have a location that is more convenient to you. The most well-stocked branch I've found is the one on Ladprao between soi 61-63. The chemistry supplies are on the 2nd floor.

Funny thing is, I've bough so much from Gammaco (chem & lab supplies for school) and it just never occurred to me to check there when I started this thread last year.