Driving To China Thru Mae Sai/tachilek

oilysang

Hi

Thinking of driving to china , do we (my gf thai and i am a singaporean) have to get any special permit/visa in tachilek or china ? thankss

Expect not to be allowed to do it. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the area outside about a 20km radius around Tachilek.

Hi

Thinking of driving to china , do we (my gf thai and i am a singaporean) have to get any special permit/visa in tachilek or china ? thankss

Expect not to be allowed to do it. Foreigners are not allowed to enter the area outside about a 20km radius around Tachilek.

That is not correct. I have friends going up to Ken Thung and up to Chinese border a few months ago. But I have no ideas about what papers needed to get a car into Myanmar and China. You should check with Chinese embassy in BKK or consulate in Chiang Mai. And of course with Myanmar embassy.

I have been in a Thai car crossing the border to Myanmar but at that time we just went up to Regina. I know the girl that had the car had special papers to be able to cross the border.

There is a Chinese company running a fast boat Thailand to China from Chiang Saen since about a week ago. It stops in 6 ports along the way in the agreement signed by China, Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand. You might contact them and get some information.

Hi

That is not correct. I have friends going up to Ken Thung and up to Chinese border a few months ago. But I have no ideas about what papers needed to get a car into Myanmar and China. You should check with Chinese embassy in BKK or consulate in Chiang Mai. And of course with Myanmar embassy.

I have been in a Thai car crossing the border to Myanmar but at that time we just went up to Regina. I know the girl that had the car had special papers to be able to cross the border.

Thanks for the info, yes i got a frens travel to china, tho he dun drive....... i will check on the procedure and update here.

Hi

why dont you call into four lens tour,they have a office on the super highway just past the little duck traffic lights on the right hand side heading south.

the guy speaks very good english and the company do boat trips to china,

he will know what visas etc are required

Hi

why dont you call into four lens tour,they have a office on the super highway just past the little duck traffic lights on the right hand side heading south.

the guy speaks very good english and the company do boat trips to china,

he will know what visas etc are required

Thanks soap, you got their numbers ?

Sorry gentlemen, but I had to remove some information as commercial websites and telephone numbers to companies are not allowed by the forum rules. You can imagine what would happen to the forums if advertising was allowed :D . Sensitive information can always be passed on by the PM function of the forum. Thanks for your understanding.

With kind regards,

Limbo :o

im singaporean and gf's also from kengtung.

went up a few times already, just get a 14day visa and ure allowed to kengtung and up to mongla for 14days.

going up to kengtung in 3more days :o

Thanks < how much does the visa cost ( for both my gf and me) HOw about the visa for china ? what is the transport you took to krengtung?? issit safe ?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks < how much does the visa cost ( for both my gf and me) HOw about the visa for china ? what is the transport you took to krengtung?? issit safe ?

it's std USD10 or 500THB per entry.

and the transprt is the toyota car, takes about 3 hrs. u'll nid to find 1 there, beware of touts and tuktuks.. just look for 1, actually. if u need i do have a namecard of 1 driver i always use, but mobile only on when he is in tachilek, so if he happens to be back home in kengtung.. den you cant contact him.

just drop me a PM if u need any help in kengtung residency etc.

just got back from kengtung too, 1 of the lucky 1s that got stuck in tachilek from 21-23. nice experience. haha.

not sure if the border is opened officially as it was unofficially opened on 23rd evening for 100 tourist including myself through.

so you might have to check 1st or lay off for a moment b4 going up incase they close it again.

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me about the transportation options from the the border up to Keng Tung (and back)? Can one, for example, hire a vehicle for three or four days for the trip there and back? What kind of costs are involved for the transport?

Thanks.

Walt

Usually you hire a vehicle with driver.

But the road recently flooded out (today's news - Thoed Thai/Hin Taek flooded)...

Judging by the number of sore throats around, I'd say the weather's changing - maybe the rains will end soon.

Certainly by October's end. Wait 'til at least then...

[ I am still a little confused about taking your own car. Is this possible? or is the only way to hire a driver and car? If so where do you hire them from, Tichalek or Mae Sai?]

Let's see - desperate economy, distressed people, lots of guns, rival armies, everything broken down including law - you want to take your own car?

Not enough insurance in the world for me to consider doing that.

Also, you really do need someone along with local language skills. Drivers won't have great English, but they can be of big help.

Sorry guys,

Maybe I missed something in previous posts but I am still a little confused about taking your own car. Is this possible? or is the only way to hire a driver and car? If so where do you hire them from, Tichalek or Mae Sai?

cheers

In The Rai!

No rental cars (without owner) allowed...