israelis rejected at khao san dorms/backpacker places

Howitzer

That link was already posted before in this very thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823175-israelis-rejected-at-khao-san-dormsbackpacker-places/?p=9382699

I witnessed an incident with a drunk Estonian on the baht bus the other day. Now I think all Estonians are always drunk when on buses. Go figure.

If the police are called so often because of complaining Israelis at hotels, how come I don't recall reading a press story about such a thing in Pattaya ... EVER.

I was unaware that link had been posted before. Unlike you, I have a life outside of Thaivisa.

Unlike you, I can see good and bad in every nationality.

I don't feel the need to creep around Internet forums waiting for reason to take offence.

I think you failed to see any good in Israelis so I don't believe what you just posted. Basically it seems like you saw one nutcase at a hotel and suggested that represents an entire nation of people.

I said no such thing.

I clearly stated that I had empathy for ex-soldiers as I understand their jobs could be stressful.

Once again you are looking for offence - I get the impression this is what you live for.

In Pattaya, the English "press" reports all kinds of trivial police incidents.

Anyway ... perhaps this video relates to some of these questions about perceived Israeli character:

Why are you posting that dribble?

Heard they were being rejected back in the late 30s and 40s buy the German business owners.. not sure if it was on Khaosan.

My mates misses works in a Hotel in Sathorn they don't like Israelis as they always argue over the bill...never tip and leave the room in a mess.. just gossip though.. asked her if they were carrying any gold around their neck? She didn't see any... so maybe they were not really Israelis.

israelis are jews obviously how different are they from say an american jew?

Very big difference. Israelis really do associate their religion with their state. American Jews, in general practice Judaism, but don't have the high level of commitment to the state of Israel as Israelis do. American Jews are "Americans".

Mate of mine opened a backpackers posada in brazil she said she didnt want isrealis there.

2 b fair its the groups of young ones that are just out of national service and makin their army 'pay off' last as long as poss, that are, from my expierence , the ones that cause issues.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because it's Israelis themselves talking about non-Israeli impressions that they are all rude. It gives some layered perspective to the crude simplistic stereotypes people seem to have here.

The BBC think it's an issue to the extent that they ran an article on Israeli rudeness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22089936

And I believe the BBC actually have reporters in Israel, so they may have on the ground knowledge.

Have you been to Israel?

Mate of mine opened a backpackers posada in brazil she said she didnt want isrealis there.

2 b fair its the groups of young ones that are just out of national service and makin their army 'pay off' last as long as poss, that are, from my expierence , the ones that cause issues.

How about gays?

Does she want gays?

Laundry issues with the gays.

How about Nigerians?

How does she tell the young Jews to bug off?

Does she lie and say no room at the Inn, or does she tell them to their face, we don't serve your kind!

Edited by Jingthing

How about gays?

Does she want gays?

How about Nigerians?

Does she lie and say no room at the Inn, or does she tell them to their face, we don't serve your kind!

C'mon Jingthing, you are normally a quite rational poster, but as soon as something touches Jews in a way that is not 100% positive you lose all rationality.

Traveling young Israeli Jews are well known to cause problems, the internet has many stories about it, and even the Israeli press writes about it. Google "young israelis travel unruly hotel" and look at the large amount of articles.

The hotels' decision to discriminate against young Israeli is debatable - but the fact that many are troublemakers should be plausible ?

I am curious how a westerner deals with implementing such blatant discrimination. I know Thais don't care, they're used to it and think it's normal, but I think most westerners are raised to think discrimination based on nationality (or race/ethnicity, etc.) for access to public accommodation/restaurants is morally wrong (and generally illegal in the west).

Yes, I am very aware of behavioral issues with groups of young people of different nationalities. Like Israelis in Thailand and India. Brits in Spain. Americans in Mexico. Etc.

Practically speaking, people often self segregate and go where they are welcome and avoid where they are not welcome. As a gay traveler I have a lot of experience with that. We are certainly not welcome everywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

I am curious how a westerner deals with implementing such blatant discrimination...

Soft racism. It's everywhere. Sure, you wouldn't be able to get away refusing someone service at a business like a restaurant in the West.

But a hotel? Sorry, sir, we happen to be full. Club? Members only. Rent? Make an unreasonable quote.

It happens all the time. And the victim will more often than not let it slide because (1) it's hard to prove (2) is it worth forcing yourself into some place you're not welcome?

I actually like the Thai way sometimes. They lay it on the line. Japs only. No Indians. Farang pays double. Like it or leave it.

Edited by The Dancer

A post like this invariably encourages the expat bigots to come out from under their rocks to join in the condemnation of certain people in Thailand. If it's not the Russians it's the Chinese and now the Israelis! Congratulations guys you are a real credit to the Thai Visa forum community.

Ok, let's put ourselves into the shoes of a hotel owner who already had enough problems with young Israeli in the past and wants to avoid problems in the future, but also wants to avoid discriminating.

What to do?

Ask for a deposit? If the deposit is only for Israeli, it is again discrimination, and if it's for all it will scare the other guests away.

Honestly, I don't know what the hotel owner can do to reduce his risk.

Another thing is that I have problems to associate this kind of discrimination with racism.

I associate racism with ideology.

But in this case, there is no ideology, it is simple business logic founded on reality.

I think discrimination is not always racism.

Iv'e met many Israelis both here and in Japan, they tend to stick together and can come across as aggressive and rude, but if you get in their circle they are great companions and good friends, I never found them to be pish heeds like the Brits, more likely to be seen smoking a joint and chilling, it's just that most people won't give them a chance.

They thought I was Ish Tov, and I thought most of them were too.

I took the time to get to know them, nearly all are ex Army and won't take crap from people, Kudos to the Old Guy who shut up 4 young Israelis by grabbing one by the throat, ( A story I don't believe BTW, but it's the Internet, what do you expect ) I think that shows the Israeli calm side, if you had done that to a young Thai guy who was with 3 of his mates, you may have beaten senseless.

Next time you come across Israelis, try to get to know them instead of following the stereotype, you may be pleasantly surprised and meet some good friends.

Shalom.

Edited by Banzai99

How about gays?

Does she want gays?

How about Nigerians?

C'mon Jingthing, you are normally a quite rational poster, but as soon as something touches Jews in a way that is not 100% positive you lose all rationality.

Traveling young Israeli Jews are well known to cause problems, the internet has many stories about it, and even the Israeli press writes about it. Google "young israelis travel unruly hotel" and look at the large amount of articles.

The hotels' decision to discriminate against young Israeli is debatable - but the fact that many are troublemakers should be plausible ?

Sorry, but JT is anything but rational and well balanced... Think about it...

The reputation of Israeli travelers is well known, but of course denying it with more vitriol is the answer... Makes perfect sense, right?

Well my old apartment building at least discriminated pretty evenly. I moved out a few weeks after they put up signs saying:

We don't rent to:

Indians

Africans

Israelis

Arabs

The wording was slightly different, but those 4 groups were listed. My landlord was surprised when I told her that I am technically African even though I am white.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

How about gays?

Does she want gays?

How about Nigerians?

Sorry, but JT is anything but rational and well balanced... Think about it...

The reputation of Israeli travelers is well known, but of course denying it with more vitriol is the answer... Makes perfect sense, right?

It aint all isrealis that cause issues i've spent ? Days teavelling on a slow boat with some isreali guys and they literally saved my frigging world from collapsing better more thoughtful guys you wouldnt wish to meet . And some older ones that had a whip round and paid 4 a helicopter and saved a fellow trekkers life. But i've seen young groups directly out the army, what happens is during their conscription they get some savings deducted each pay check and paid to them in one lump when they leave. so a lot of them are looking to get f 'ed up for as cheap as they can, and for as long as they can, and often behave shockingly in the process. Rude arrogent inconsiderate aggressive and mob handed 2 boot and quite into taking advantage of small business's Not difucult to work out From my expierence in s america, india ect which ones r 2 b best avoided

Edited by rijit

Where there's smoke there's fire....

The Chinese get a bad rap for their behavior at temples. The blacks get a bad rap for their drug selling and scams around Lower Sukhumvit. The Brits get a bad rap for all their tattoos and beer drinking. And the list goes on and on.... There is some level of truth in all of these but some people take it to the extreme. There are those who don't fit the profile in all those groups.

But someone who sees and experiences this type of behavior day in and day out forms an opinion based on their experience. Do they truly think all people in that group are the same, I don't think so.

Iv'e met many Israelis both here and in Japan, they tend to stick together and can come across as aggressive and rude, but if you get in their circle they are great companions and good friends, I never found them to be pish heeds like the Brits, more likely to be seen smoking a joint and chilling, it's just that most people won't give them a chance.

They thought I was Ish Tov, and I thought most of them were too.

I took the time to get to know them, nearly all are ex Army and won't take crap from people, Kudos to the Old Guy who shut up 4 young Israelis by grabbing one by the throat, ( A story I don't believe BTW, but it's the Internet, what do you expect ) I think that shows the Israeli calm side, if you had done that to a young Thai guy who was with 3 of his mates, you may have beaten senseless.

Next time you come across Israelis, try to get to know them instead of following the stereotype, you may be pleasantly surprised and meet some good friends.

Shalom.

I am glad I saw your posting.

I forgot to explain that I am Jewish, from South America, and that I spend 2 years on the Israeli Army and a Kibbutz in the late 60s.

I told about my "past" to those young guys...at soon I noticed that they were from Israel....Later..I was not please to see them behaving like stupid drunk kids..and I advice them many times that I was losing my patience at that time of the night... and inside a bus. Was risky to face 4 young, and probably former soldiers...but...they were very drunk. Anyway....most Israeli young people are very argumentative and loud when are in a group having fun....and they got the reputation. But.. that's common in most youngsters from many countries and religions.

We...old guys.. sometimes do not remember our youth behavior.

Shalom.

Edited by umbanda

OK. after that predictable "penny pinching" slur I'm gonna go there.

Why does this thread even exist?

Isn't it really designed as a troll thread from the start?

Of course it's a troll, a thinly disguised low class anti Semite troll thread.

OK. after that predictable "penny pinching" slur I'm gonna go there.

Why does this thread even exist?

Isn't it really designed as a troll thread from the start?

Of course it's a troll, a thinly disguised low class anti Semite troll thread.

I'm inclined to agree, and if not, the OP should have his answer by now anyway.

Closed.