Departure lounge still sucks ....

MrWorldwide

I was fine till i fired off a couple of farewell texts - who knew moving an hour West would still feel like I was facing another long haul back to sydney. That said, I know that change wont get any easier as i get older and this move is at least 6 months overdue.

Thank you Thailand for everything you've given me over many trips, good and bad. No other country leaves me feeling this despondent when it's time to leave. i wont miss the negatives but that isnt what i'll be focussed on tonight in my PP hotel room. Hopefully Cambo will mean new faces and new places - bring it on.

Happy trails,

MrWW

In the TVF spirit...

If you don't like the departure lounge, don't depart.

Or:

Fly first class like I do. They have a wonderful departure lounge... (BTW, I don't really fly first class)

Or:

Still better than the departure lounge in ________ (fill in the blank)

Or:

The departure lounge just hasn't been the same since the military took over.

Or:

(_)Reds (_) Yellows are the ones that ruined the departure lounge. (Tick only one)

Anyway, Best of luck in PP.

Good luck finding out if the grass is greener. Feel free to come back and post here anyway. Most people seem to.

Greener ? No - just a different latitude, er, longitude and hopefully some slightly different attitudes. I contracted chronic food poisoning on my previous trip and I'm hopeful that I can avoid that for the first week in country - about the only observation I can make at this stage is that the traffic is worse than I recall in 2010.

To those who've wished me well, it's greatly appreciated. No shortage of discussions on TVF re alternatives to Thailand and its amazing how close 'Utopia' is when someone starts waxing lyrical about their favoured destination : suddenly it's 'just like Thailand 30 years ago'. Right ..... ;)

Out of respect for sheryl, the SiemReaper and others who contribute longterm perspectives to the Cambodia forum, I'm going to try to keep my thoughts to myself for the first month. If I fade completely, so much the better - IMO, this is a board about life in Thailand primarily for people who still live there.

I was fine till i fired off a couple of farewell texts - who knew moving an hour West would still feel like I was facing another long haul back to sydney.

Thank you Thailand for everything you've given me over many trips, good and bad.Hopefully Cambo will mean new faces and new places - bring it on.

Mate, you moved west. You are in Burma, not cambodia.

I was fine till i fired off a couple of farewell texts - who knew moving an hour West would still feel like I was facing another long haul back to sydney.

Thank you Thailand for everything you've given me over many trips, good and bad.Hopefully Cambo will mean new faces and new places - bring it on.

Mate, you moved west. You are in Burma, not cambodia.

Thanks for the correction - I'd better get to a travel agent and sort this mess out. :D

Hope that you continue to post on here, dont always agree with you but have enjoyed your POV immensely, always well rounded, informed and seldom negative.

Sometimes the travel is better than the arrival, occasionally we often find what we are looking for where we have previously been but the need to explore and find out for ourselves makes us who we are and we are generally better for the experience.

You are taking the bit between your teeth and finding out for yourself, that is in itself admirable for me, better to get off your bum and make the effort than to live in a place that may be losing a bit of its allure.

Remember there is no shame in just coming back, if that's what you want to do , at least you have the balls to make the effort and take the chance in the first place

Keep us informed it would be great to hear of your experiences

Regards

Harvey

Enjoy the change and Thailand will still be here if and when you return.

Yeah departure lounges are always good for contemplation before the flight departs, though I'd rather contemplate life in the Emirates Lounge as opposed to the Thai Lounge.

and remind you that you are here now, and that when you get there, you will be there. If you miss the here, you are likely also to miss the there. If your mind is not centered here, it is likely not to be centered just because you arrive somewhere else.

Why are you leaving, if you don't mind?

Hope it all works out for you one way or another..

I believe I answered that earlier in this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823334-departure-lounge-still-sucks/#entry9382028

I should have started preparing for the move from the day I flew back from Japan last November, but it didnt happen that way.

I use Emirates Bangkok lounges theyre ok

Does Emirates fly BKK to Cambodia?

More importantly, is Cambodia West of Thailand?

The sentence should have read 'Bangkok might only be an hour west of Phnom Penh' but I guess I'll have to cop it sweet for that error. Fortunately, the pilot had a significantly better understanding of geography and I'm not in Burma.