Nakhon Phanom ISOC steps up measures against illegal migration of North Koreans

webfact

Nakhon Phanom ISOC steps up measures against illegal migration of North Koreans

NAKHON PHANOM, 7 May 2015 (NNT) – The Internal Security Operation Command (ISOC) of Nakhon Phanom province is now pushing forward new measures against the illegal migration of refugees, which uses Thailand as transit before fleeing to other countries.

The vice governor of Nakhon Phanom Somchai Witdamrong chaired the subcommittee meeting today, at the Nakhon Phanom Anti Human Trafficking Center in the Nakhon Phanom Provincial Hall.

The Nakhon Phanom ISOC Deputy Director Col Adul Wachiraphetpranee reported in this meeting that current, the number of illegal migrant refugees from North Korea are at about 1,000. They remain in wait at the Thailand-Laos border crossing, before crossing into Nakhon Phanom province.

The group of refugees are reported to be assisted by a middleman. The group is believed to take Thailand as the transit country before moving to other countries. The group of North Koreas are reported to have escaped North Korea to China, Vietnam, and Laos, before attempting to enter Thailand at the Ban Klang subdistrict in Nakhon Phanom province.

In response, the Nakhon Phanom ISOC Deputy Director said that the ISOC has coordinated with all their security agencies and volunteers will be stepping up their measures to prevent the illegal migration issues.

The Nakhon Phanom vice governor reaffirmed that no immigrant will be allowed to take refuge Thailand or to use Thailand as a middle ground before traveling to their target destination to the third country.

He then said that he has urged all security agencies in all districts connected to the Mekong River, namely the Mueang Nakhon Phanom, Tha Uthen, That Phanom, and Ban Paeng district, to be more rigorous at all border crossings and to prevent any potential issues.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-07 footer_n.gif

North Koreans should be exempt from this policy. This director and vice governor should be put in one of the North Korean gulags for a year. Then they might have some compassion for these people trying to escape this hell on earth.

North Koreans should be exempt from this policy. This director and vice governor should be put in one of the North Korean gulags for a year. Then they might have some compassion for these people trying to escape this hell on earth.

Sad. I thought refugees were different from illegal aliens and have very basic rights to asylum under certain intl conventions. I suppose that now that the mass graves story has broken, everybody is in knee jerk mode to do their part. So sad they are persecuting those for fleeing from persecution. Once again, going after the victims instead of the perpetrators and facilitators.

Oops! Cannot! Its the boss.

I cannot believe Thailand is doing this! As Pimay1 pointed out above, if anyone deserves help and asylum, it is the North Koreans. Where is the Buddhist compassion? With the bad international reputation Thailand is rapidly aquiring for brutally exploiting immigrants; i.e., the appalling people trafficking scandals of those enslaved on fishing vessels in Indonesia and now the mass graves in the South, to help the North Koreans refugees could have been a golden opportunity to help restore some international credibility. Why does Thailand get everything wrong?

Of all the migrant people in the world, North Koreans should be given the greatest consideration given the political and physical harshness of their country. Shame on Thailand and all other countries for not trying to help these people. What they must have gone through just to get to this point, I can't even imagine.

Although, I suppose, to one extent or another the same can be said for other migrants fleeing harsh political climates where the poor are considered less than human.

Of all the migrant people in the world, North Koreans should be given the greatest consideration given the political and physical harshness of their country. Shame on Thailand and all other countries for not trying to help these people. What they must have gone through just to get to this point, I can't even imagine.

Although, I suppose, to one extent or another the same can be said for other migrants fleeing harsh political climates where the poor are considered less than human.

It is not as bad as propaganda tells. Lots of north koreas return from south korea.

If I would have the choice between Saudi Arabia and north Korea I would take nk.

Still a very poor country

The group of North Koreas are reported to have escaped North Korea to China, Vietnam, and Laos, before attempting to enter Thailand...

I never heard of N. Koreans leaving their country...where in the heck are they headed...I would have thought the Chinese would have given them asylum...

Should make for a great documentary on the History Channel...

Where is Aljazeera when we need them to cover an interesting story?

The question arises. Why Thailand ?

They are have already escaped NK and obviously transited other countries, why did they not stay in one of those countries, why did one of those countries not give them asylum ?

Have they actually applied for political asylum or are they as the OP says just trying to enter as illegal aliens ? There is a difference and no doubt a different legal way to handle each case.

They are have already escaped NK and obviously transited other countries, why did they not stay in one of those countries, why did one of those countries not give them asylum ?

Have they actually applied for political asylum or are they as the OP says just trying to enter as illegal aliens ? There is a difference and no doubt a different legal way to handle each case.

As I understand it the plan is to get to a country that will allow the Sth. Koreans to take them to that country where they are welcomed.

Also as I understand it the Chinese send them back.

The North Korean refugees trying to escape the North are all for the most part are just trying to get to South Korea. Because the DMZ between the North and South is so militarized, attempting a crossing directly into the South from the North is certain to fail. Those attempting to escape using that route are shot and killed in the attempt or in some cases capture and then sent to long prison terms or executed. Thus the only other way to escape is crossing into China. If caught in China, escaping North Koreans will be sent back to face prison or execution. So they try to work there way through China to Laos. Once in Laos they face the same government policy that the Chinese have if caught, they get sent back and end up in prison or get executed. The same can be said for Vietnam should they choose that route. Remember like North Korea; China, Laos and Vietnam are all fellow Communist countries. and they all support to one degree or another the North Korean government.

Thailand is the first non-communist country the North Korean escapees reach. If the refugees can't make it to the South Korean embassy, there are repetitiveness from various South Korean groups here in Thailand that will assist the escaping North Koreans to get to South Korea. As Thailand is the only country in the area that will not send North Koreans back to North Korea if they are caught here.

Unlike the Burmese or other groups of people who enter Thailand to live, these people only come through Thailand as a transit point on their way to South Korea. There is very little social or economic impact on Thailand from these escaping North Koreans.

Below is a link to a National Geographic story about escaping from North Korea:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/02/north-korea/oneill-text

Quite a lot of N Koreans in the Nakhon Phanom jails. Looks like the only people that will help them are the S. Korean embassy. Of course the Nakhon Phanom/Lao border is a joke. You just go to Thaket, pay a silly sum of money and get on a boat. 5 minutes across the river. No need for 'Friendship Bridges'

International news organizations have been reporting on North Koreans making this desperate journey for years.

The border with South Korea is heavily militarized. Thailand is the closest country they can reach by land that won't automatically send them back to North Korea, where they and their families will spend the rest of their short lives in a prison camp.

I don't know why Thailand isn't more accommodating, they could score big points politically, and perhaps economically, by working with South Korea on this.

Edited by heybruce