Phuket lifeguards back on beaches 'next week'

webfact

Phuket lifeguards back on beaches 'next week'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1430989560_1-org.jpg
There have been no lifeguards on the beaches for two months.

PHUKET: -- The island’s lifeguards should finally be back on the beaches next week, after almost two months of no coverage.

Although the contract for Phuket Life Guard Service Co Ltd (PLGS) was signed off in principle by Governor Nisit Jansomwong three weeks ago, the company has to meet contractual obligations before it can put the lifeguards back on the sand.

PLGS consultant Prathaiyut Chuayuan explained, “The documents for the contract with the OrBorJor [Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation] are being prepared. I'll finish the paperwork this week.

“I also have to find the contract completion bond of B1 million before signing the contract.

“In the meantime I have to pay salaries to the lifeguards from my own pocket – which I can do. Before we sign the contract we will have some lifeguards on duty.”

The delay in getting a contract signed was because of regulations that state the OrBorJor must put any contract out to tender and get at least three bids.

But PLGS is the only company in Phuket in the lifesaving business, so special dispensation from the governor had to be sought to allow the OrBorJor to hire PLGS company without going through the tendering process.

This is the third year in a row that Phuket has been without lifegaurd coverage because of this issue.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-back-on-beaches-next-week-52196.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-07

Thai Life Guards...Hmmm. Based on past observations of Thai work ethics and competence all I can say is "Thank God I know how to swim."

This group over the past few years has done a good job. Before this group, I would have agreed with you.

Perfect timing..high seasons finished!

555... good one!

How is this a good one? If you know anything about the water here you would know high season is glass (easy swimming), and low season is the dangerous time when lifeguards are needed most.

ChrisY1's post although a shot at humor is off the mark.

Thai Life Guards...Hmmm. Based on past observations of Thai work ethics and competence all I can say is "Thank God I know how to swim."

This group over the past few years has done a good job. Before this group, I would have agreed with you.

Even people who know how to swim can get into difficulties.

Even people who know how to swim can get into difficulties.

Good point dotpoom. Some years back we lost a local to a heart incident whilst swimming. A beach vendor threw out a rope to drag him in (as there were no lifeguards), he went unconscious whilst being dragged in and drowned. Sad day.

another load of nonsense no life guards on duty for 2 months I didn't realise the beach was being used theres been so much nonsense the last 3 months over venders deck chairs and what farangs can and cannot do on the beach I am so glad something is happening.

555... good one!

How is this a good one? If you know anything about the water here you would know high season is glass (easy swimming), and low season is the dangerous time when lifeguards are needed most.

Relax!

I worked Patong for 4 years and the average person saved by the life guards are people (men and women of ALL nationalities) who mix sun, sea and instead of sand, alcohol. The other group consists of kids with irresponsible parents.

The flags clearly let people (parents and morons) know when they can and cannot enter any body of water... so if one chooses to go in in spite of the warnings, then let fate decide if they should leave.

Its common sense (but of course, many on TVF will say there is a lack there of ...)

555... good one!

Relax!

I worked Patong for 4 years and the average person saved by the life guards are people (men and women of ALL nationalities) who mix sun, sea and instead of sand, alcohol. The other group consists of kids with irresponsible parents.

The flags clearly let people (parents and morons) know when they can and cannot enter any body of water... so if one chooses to go in in spite of the warnings, then let fate decide if they should leave.

Its common sense (but of course, many on TVF will say there is a lack there of ...)

Whats up with the "relax"?

Sure, your experience is Patong but where I am the Thais are drowning in low season surf conditions. In the water fully clothed, sometimes even with fresh water added to sea the water density becomes less making it even more of a struggle when they get in over their heads. I was merely pointing out to some posters that their opinions on the matter didn't make much sense.

Pulled no less than 25 out in my time here, would not dare sit and let "fate" take someone on my watch.