Filipinos in Thailand defend Thai basher, say deportation 'too harsh'

webfact

25 Pinoys in Thailand defend Thai basher, say deportation 'too harsh'

BANGKOK: -- A group of Filipinos in Thailand has appealed to the Bureau of Immigration to drop the charges against Prasertsri Kosin, the Thai national facing deportation in the Philippines for his racial slurs against Filipinos.

In a letter dated May 7, 2015 and addressed to Immigration Commissioner Siegfred Mison, the 25 signatories pointed out that what Kosin did was not criminal in nature and that he has a right to freely express himself under Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), to which they said the Philippines is a state party.

“Indeed, the statements of Mr. Kosin were offensive and have obviously sparked outrage from netizens. But offensive, hateful and downright irresponsible as they are, they were not criminal,” the group said.

Kosin, a call center agent for four years in the Philippines, caught Filipino netizens' ire when he, in a series of Facebook posts, called Filipinos “pignoys,” “stupid creatures,” and “low-class slum slaves.” He has since apologized for the slurs.

Full story: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/483542/pinoyabroad/news/25-pinoys-in-thailand-defend-thai-basher-say-deportation-too-harsh

-- GMA News 2015-05-08

I salute those Filipinos for their fair mindedness in the face of the insults directed at them. I would like to hope that it is food for thought for others but I dare not hold my breath...

I visited the Philippines regularly over a 20 year period and lived there for 2 and in attitude etc there's not much difference between the people there and here.

25 people may have said deportation was too harsh but no indication of how many protested and wanted him separated from parts of his anatomy at the very least.

If he were to say that in the US it would be his or her right. But if this were turned around you can bet your last satong you get the boot. So At times I bash but it is usually because the view being presented is so twisted it begs to be bashed. I could give a list but not enough in room all the computers memory ever made.

I visited the Philippines regularly over a 20 year period and lived there for 2 and in attitude etc there's not much difference between the people there and here.

25 people may have said deportation was too harsh but no indication of how many protested and wanted him separated from parts of his anatomy at the very least.

I lved and worked in PI for 5 years and have worked all over SE Asia these past three decades. PI is the only country where people high and low threatemned to have me deported or have a hold departure order placed on me because they didn't agree with something I'd said or done. Batting orders aren't always the best way to go, but I would rate Thais above Pinoys and Khmers above both given that's where I've chosen to see out my days. One man's meat.....

To conclude, the fact that 25 people from a population of 70odd million have supported this person is hardly something of note or to be shouted from any rooftop.

If he were to say that in the US it would be his or her right. But if this were turned around you can bet your last satong you get the boot. So At times I bash but it is usually because the view being presented is so twisted it begs to be bashed. I could give a list but not enough in room all the computers memory ever made.

There's a world of difference between bashing "...the view..." and bashing the people as a whole.

I lved and worked in PI for 5 years and have worked all over SE Asia these past three decades. PI is the only country where people high and low threatemned to have me deported or have a hold departure order placed on me because they didn't agree with something I'd said or done. Batting orders aren't always the best way to go, but I would rate Thais above Pinoys and Khmers above both given that's where I've chosen to see out my days. One man's meat.....

To conclude, the fact that 25 people from a population of 70odd million have supported this person is hardly something of note or to be shouted from any rooftop.

I love these "I have been there" experts ! The reason is that I always win !

Lived in Philippines 20 years straight, and visited for 15 years before that !!!

I say you are both wrong.

Lived in Philippines 20 years straight, and visited for 15 years before that !!!

Neither of us claimed to be experts but simply expressed an opinion on what we saw and heard and that's wrong !

Since you are the old PI Hand aren't you claiming to be the expert ?

the filipino's are much more nastier to foreigners than the Thai people in general. just get over there and see what happens when you run out of money or anger one of them! "SUE" that's the main thing they threaten you with. don't have much use for them.

Free speech in principal should be a right to be exercised by every person and when critic is raised it should be factual and based on evidence. The person against the critic is directed should have a right to respond. The generalisation of slurs directed against an ethnic group or people should be criminalised and in most western countries that applies. What this kind of speech can do one only has to look into the past and what it does today when looking at the Middle East and Europe. The Nazi propaganda which was state sponsored shows where it might lead.

I personally feel ashamed for a fellow citizen that in his host country uses that kind of language and shows the respect he holds for his parents, which I have no doubt have taught him differently.

Edited by ThaiUser

This is not a question about freedom of speech, but a lack of common sense from the Thai idiot.

If you think of your hosts as toilet lickers and pignoys, it is high time to return to the perfect country called Thailand!!

And yes, IMO he should be deported.

Neither of us claimed to be experts but simply expressed an opinion on what we saw and heard and that's wrong !

Since you are the old PI Hand aren't you claiming to be the expert ?

Nope...just making fun of how everybody claims to be that.....

This is not a question about freedom of speech, but a lack of common sense from the Thai idiot.

If you think of your hosts as toilet lickers and pignoys, it is high time to return to the perfect country called Thailand!!

What separates you from the ‘Thai idiot’, when looking at your second sentence and what it implies?

What separates you from the ‘Thai idiot’, when looking at your second sentence and what it implies?

Have to love Thai logic!!

I called one (singularis) Thai person an idiot, because of his idiotic behavior on social media, but in no way I stereotyped the whole Thai population because of one bad apple.

That separates me from "the idiot" !!

Is that how you see life, winning and losing and do you indeed always win? We all have different opinions and as I said and always do, one man's meat is another man's poison....

My gf was bashed by Germans for being a Thai woman, I also was bashed by Germans for defending her. Now I feel free to bash those racistic bashers as Nazis.

Should I be deported to Germany and handed over to my political enemies?

Edited by micmichd