Phuket police on lookout for foreign 'deaf' scammer

webfact

So his reasoning is, if he is death automatically people would pity him and buy the key ring as opposed to not being death? So being death is such a disabling handicap you cannot find a job of some sorts?

pretty much the only occupation available to death people is decomposing......prehaps he should write a sympathy in C minor?

The title seems a bit misleading. If the guy actually has the goods he is selling not begging or scamming. Compared to some other news items this is pretty small peanuts to be headlining.

Small peanuts, yes. Not that newsworthy, true. But that doesn't change the truth of the matter. If he's really not deaf (and that's apparently the case), then it IS a scam as he's playing on the deafness - not to mention the good nature and gullibility of tourists - to peddle these worthless trinkets: the cards prove that. There's no legitimate reason why foreigners should be in Thailand begging, let alone scamming. Simply round up the guy, blacklist him, and then deport him. The fact that the authorities might not be able to make that happen for whatever reason might be more newsworthy than the offense itself.

Edited by hawker9000

So his reasoning is, if he is death automatically people would pity him and buy the key ring as opposed to not being death? So being death is such a disabling handicap you cannot find a job of some sorts?

I'm pretty sure that "Death" is quite disabling, and a huge handicap to the majority of people who are afflicted by it. biggrin.png

I'm pretty sure that "Death" is quite disabling, and a huge handicap to the majority of people who are afflicted by it. biggrin.png

I would say the ultimate handicap, and one we will all encounter

• 2 weeks later...

This sort of scam is very popular in Italy,you can go on any train going anywhere and someone will do the same thing,start at the front to the back and return picking up the cards,they get away with the ticket issue by staying on the platforms,and hiding in the train toilets when the conductor is on his rounds.Mostly polish and eastern european people,they have been around for a fair length of time with this scam.

I've seen it many times in Spain