Are You A Tax Expert?

It is my understanding that Thailand levy taxes on worldwide income, should such income be brought into Thailand.

So says this website and several other publications that I have read.

I never filed taxes in Thailand, not yet - looking forward to - and I'd like to know if you need to report your worldwide income that was remitted outside of Thailand?

Anyone dealt with something like this before? How successful were you? Any problems or concerns that I should know about?

--

My second question is, if you do not have a work permit in Thailand (therefore you are not registered for taxes) - how do you go to pay your taxes if you have brought into Thailand worldwide income? (considering that I have been here more than 180 days this calendar year, so I am deemed resident for tax purposes says the Thai Tax Law.)

Funds brought into Thailand from overseas are not taxable.

Only monies earned while in Thailand are taxable.

Just imagine if Thailand started taxing Retirees on all the funds they brought in

every year. There would be a mass exodus heading for the borders. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Take a look at http://www.google.co.th/search?q=thailand_tax_law_04.pdf

You'll see it says something a bit different

Yes, I have read this publication and also the other publication that this same firm published in 2002. In this publication, you can find the following under the Article 7:

A person (Thai or foreign) who resides in Thailand at one or more times for an aggregate period of 180 days or more in any tax (calendar) year will be regarded as a resident of Thailand for tax purposes. A resident of Thailand is liable for personal income tax on income from sources inside Thailand and on assessable income derived from sources outside Thailand. However, the imposition of tax on income derived outside Thailand will apply only to income derived and brought into Thailand in the same year in which such income is earned. A non-resident is subject to pay tax only on income from sources within Thailand (irrespective of the place of payment).

Edited by kudroz