Annual Dive Show at Queen Sirikit NCC this weekend May 14-17 2015 (and golf)

impulse

Well this is convenient, please tell us whether or not you can use a spear gun in Thailand ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/820745-bringing-in-spear-gun-on-airplane/?p=9389565&hl=%2Bspear+%2Bgun

If that question is addressed to me, I haven't a clue. I'll ask around if I go back. Though I may get tarred and feathered at the show for even suggesting killing the golden geese that draw divers to Thailand.

And on that note, I was surprised to see that one of the gun shops near Chinatown in Bangkok sells pneumatic powered spear guns. I'm not in the market so I did not note the brands, but they had a decent selection.

But Thailand is one of those places where you can buy something in the open, then be arrested a few meters away for even possessing it, so I don't take that as any indication that they are legal...

Edited by impulse

Well this is convenient, please tell us whether or not you can use a spear gun in Thailand ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/820745-bringing-in-spear-gun-on-airplane/?p=9389565&hl=%2Bspear+%2Bgun

If that question is addressed to me, I haven't a clue. I'll ask around if I go back. Though I may get tarred and feathered at the show for even suggesting killing the golden geese that draw divers to Thailand.

And on that note, I was surprised to see that one of the gun shops near Chinatown in Bangkok sells pneumatic powered spear guns. I'm not in the market so I did not note the brands, but they had a decent selection.

But Thailand is one of those places where you can buy something in the open, then be arrested a few meters away for even possessing it, so I don't take that as any indication that they are legal...

yes tarred and feathered by the same people who run a boat with a toilet that flushes the $hit direct on the corals......

Thankfully I have never dived with anyone with a spear gun, I hope all those who use spear guns eat what they catch...

I would also not dive with someone who has a spear gun......Too dangerous to be on the wrong side of it....

Years ago, we spear fished the offshore rigs in Texas. I'm sure they still do.

We'd fish between the platforms by trolling, then hop in the water to spear fish under the platforms.

But the fish there weren't tourist attractions, they weren't scarce and they were pretty tasty. And if we weren't going to eat it, we didn't shoot it.

A spearable sized fish on a Thai reef is worth way too much as a tourist draw to kill it.

Edited by impulse

Years ago, we spear fished the offshore rigs in Texas. I'm sure they still do.

We'd fish between the platforms by trolling, then hop in the water to spear fish under the platforms.

But the fish there weren't tourist attractions, they weren't scarce and they were pretty tasty. And if we weren't going to eat it, we didn't shoot it.

A spearable sized fish on a Thai reef is worth way too much as a tourist draw to kill it.

The big problem is not 1 person spear fishing for food. It is thousands of idi0ts spear fishing for fun and clean a complete area free of fishes.

But on the other hand Thailands fishermen are surely the bigger problem. When they talk about catching manta rays because you can sell the tips of their wings like shark fins than the complete discussion about spear fishing get a bit ridiculous....

And the Thai fishermen who Dynamite the reefs...

Also saw a program yesterday, Can not remember too much, I switched it off, it made me sick, but it was filmed in Taiwan, a shop selling sharks fins, the large ones were from whale sharks, then someone said they were tasteless they had to spice them up to make them edible and the only reason people ate shark Fin soup was to empress others that they had wealth.

Also saw a program yesterday, Can not remember too much, I switched it off, it made me sick, but it was filmed in Taiwan, a shop selling sharks fins, the large ones were from whale sharks, then someone said they were tasteless they had to spice them up to make them edible and the only reason people ate shark Fin soup was to empress others that they had wealth.

I saw a shop somewhere in Chinatown here in Bangkok. A bigger shop, from the floor to the ceiling full of dried shark fins.....thousands......But in Thailand slowly it starts to build up resistance to it. Most vocal against it are also Chinese.....And of course it helps that the new government gives people like Dr. Than (spelling????) a voice.

Dynamite fishing happened close to the Navy in Satthip where they park their aircraft carrier......And they didn't know about it. But I think it isn't very common in Thailand.

If you're interested in going spearfishing down in Phuket, freediving or with scuba, send me a message. If you need equipment, there's at least 2 shops here that sells spearfishing guns and supplies. Guns as low as 7000b.

If you're interested in going spearfishing down in Phuket, freediving or with scuba, send me a message. If you need equipment, there's at least 2 shops here that sells spearfishing guns and supplies. Guns as low as 7000b.

Spearfishing while freediving ok, but with scuba, that is just pathetic.

I can't see any difference.......if you want it fair, catch and strangle the animals with your hands only.

All depends on how many people are doing it and on how much they take out, and how often the shoot their buddy (reducing their own numbers).

I can't see any difference.......if you want it fair, catch and strangle the animals with your hands only.

All depends on how many people are doing it and on how much they take out, and how often the shoot their buddy (reducing their own numbers).

That's how we do it with lobsters and other crustaceans. And they taste MUCH better.

Also, if you want to get a PADI Underwater Hunter Specialty, let me know.

I saw a shop somewhere in Chinatown here in Bangkok. A bigger shop, from the floor to the ceiling full of dried shark fins.....thousands......But in Thailand slowly it starts to build up resistance to it. Most vocal against it are also Chinese.....And of course it helps that the new government gives people like Dr. Than (spelling????) a voice.

Dynamite fishing happened close to the Navy in Satthip where they park their aircraft carrier......And they didn't know about it. But I think it isn't very common in Thailand.

Yes, I was diving the "Hard Deep" a few years ago, herd a big bang, and felt it, when we surfaced the nearest fishing boat was over half a mile away...

How the Navy can not be aware really puzzles me. whistling.gif

Yes, I was diving the "Hard Deep" a few years ago, herd a big bang, and felt it, when we surfaced the nearest fishing boat was over half a mile away...

How the Navy can not be aware really puzzles me. whistling.gif

How the Navy can not be aware: Most probably the bang could not be herd at the Gulf club.......

• 3 weeks later...

Well since this was started as the dive show (golf) I'll comment on that. should be called Golf Show (with swim stuff) This was my 3rd visit (in 4 years) and this year was by far the saddest. The had about 250 golf and tour companies and way back in the corner a few dive operators. Very Sad. few more years like this and there wont be a point.

I heard from other shops that did not go the same thing; Why go and pay all that money for a spot when you can't get anything back for it. The few Thais that dive don't seem to want to be there and other than the masive Mares/SSI both, not much going on.

Edited by Explorer Instructor

Well since this was started as the dive show (golf) I'll comment on that. should be called Golf Show (with swim stuff) This was my 3rd visit (in 4 years) and this year was by far the saddest. The had about 250 golf and tour companies and way back in the corner a few dive operators. Very Sad. few more years like this and there wont be a point.

I heard from other shops that did not go the same thing; Why go and pay all that money for a spot when you can't get anything back for it. The few Thais that dive don't seem to want to be there and other than the masive Mares/SSI both, not much going on.

yes but still the best deal for discounted things in Thailand....I bought some fins for -70% (I guess a 2014 or 2013 model) instead of 3700 Baht 1xxx Baht.

For Thailand with this lots of coast and Dive Centers it is indeed sad....

Maybe the dive shops should get together to organise their own event or even better a none profit making club, could hold it down in Pattaya, Samui, Krabi or Phuket. make it an evening event over 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun) with dive operators offering extra special dive excursions during the day.

There is plenty of scope for Manufactures/Distributors, Operators, Clubs and Resorts.

Maybe the dive shops should get together to organise their own event or even better a none profit making club, could hold it down in Pattaya, Samui, Krabi or Phuket. make it an evening event over 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun) with dive operators offering extra special dive excursions during the day.

There is plenty of scope for Manufactures/Distributors, Operators, Clubs and Resorts.

For many divecenters the main market is foreign tourists., which is why IMO the annual diveshow or a suggestion like yours is doomed to fail.

For many divecenters the main market is foreign tourists., which is why IMO the annual diveshow or a suggestion like yours is doomed to fail.

And they all focus on quick profit of tourists who stay 2-3 weeks in Thailand. No one really focus on Expats. The usually tourist won't go on a diveshow. So it won't be very interesting for them.

I don't see many independent diver who would go without their scuba-nanny (Divermaster from the Dive Center) anywhere.

I would suggest that it might be better to have a bigger show, like gulf, bicycle, diving, climbing, running together as often sporty people do more than one sport and have it together may attract more people.

I would suggest that it might be better to have a bigger show, like gulf, bicycle, diving, climbing, running together as often sporty people do more than one sport and have it together may attract more people.

That seems like the best idea. An outdoor activity show. But I think they should focus on bringing in more discretionary money rather than more bodies.

My fear is that it would be inundated with people seeking no more than an afternoon of air conditioning...unless they charged a nominal fee for entry. Perhaps 100 baht to get in before 2:00 PM, then free (or 20 baht) and open to the public after 2:00 PM. I'd gladly pay 100 baht to avoid the throngs and the pretty ladies with massive speakers. I noticed they had a great crowd for the annual pet show at QSNCC, charging 20 baht a head.

I recall reading the part of the website for exhibitors for one of the trade shows -I don't remember whether it was the Dive show- and the cost of a booth seemed horribly high for a small dive operation. Between $$ thousands for the booth space, days away from the shop, and the cost of transporting and setting up the exhibit, I'm surprised any dive operators show up at all. Especially given that there doesn't seem to be any advance advertising done at all to draw foreign visitors.

It was still a decent show, well worth the visit. But this is my 5th in a row, and dive portion seems to get smaller every year.