I have a Thai Elite visa and would like to buy a car

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to buy a car in Thailand, a new one from a dealershop and obviously as I know having a thai Elite visa doesn't help to buy a car. I've also called them (thai Elite staff) and they also confirmed this type of visa could not be enough to buy a car.

Do some of you have an idea how I could do to buy one? I guess it should be in the name of a Thai, or any other options?

Thanks much !

Vin

OP

1. find a g/f in Thailand, like I've done.

2. Buy a car in her name, like I've done.

3. Build a house for her, like I've done.

4. Keep your fingers crossed that she will stay with you, like I'm doing.

I've got an Elite card also and this is what I've done.

There is no visa requirement to buy a car.

You will need a certificate of residence though to register it. If you are in Bangkok and have made a 90 day report to immigration there but it takes about 3 weeks to get it.

You can also get one from your embassy.

Moving this post to the motoring forum.

Thanks UbonJoeand Richard,

That's great new actually, I certainly can get a certificate of residence quite easily.

Now I have an international driving license, I guess a Thai driving license isn't compulsory right?

Many thanks to all of you!

Thanks UbonJoeand Richard,

That's great new actually, I certainly can get a certificate of residence quite easily.

Now I have an international driving license, I guess a Thai driving license isn't compulsory right?

Many thanks to all of you!

A Thai licence is necessary if you are going to be living here for any length of time.

Right, I definitely intend to get one in a near future. However I wonder if I can buy the car first and then later get a driving license?

Thanks

Don't see why not, that's what I did. I only had a international licence when I bought my first car here.

Right, I definitely intend to get one in a near future. However I wonder if I can buy the car first and then later get a driving license?

Thanks

Don't see why not, that's what I did. I only had a international licence when I bought my first car here.

It's my understanding that an International Driving Permit (which accompanies your licence) is valid for up to 3 months.

Getting hold of a Thai Licence is a very easy process, especially with your IDP and overseas licence - You will also require a Medical Check Up certificate and another Affirmation of Residence (I'm not sure photo copies work, I'm also not sure if you get your original returned when going through the Car Registration Process).

Slightly Off Topic Edit: There are a few Dash-Cam threads running.... It would be wise get a Dash-Cam installed in your new car.

Edited by richard_smith237

Thanks

Right, maybe things have changed since then, not sure. To buy my motorbike 2 years ago I was asked a work permit, not even a Non-B was enough!

Regarding my International driving license, I'm lucky my country delivers 3 years valid ones, I've still got 2 years on it.

What I might do is maybe call or visit the Honda dealer shop and ask what they require ? Things are changing so quickly these days. But you already gave me some great info there so, many thanks for it.

Just a curiosity question Vinmelo89...or Ubonjoe........did you also purchase an Elite card for your wife, or dose she get a visa based on the fact that you have a card?

btw--- I don't know where your living but if its a new car that you are buying...then do it in BKK, I live way up by the Lao border & its still worth the trip down for me.

Edited by sanuk711

I have a thai elite visa and I have purchased 3 cars in my own name while living in Thailand. You will need copies of your passport and a certificate of residence. In my case my certificate if residence was a statuary declartion from my embassy saying my name, passport number and the address I live at.

Just a curiosity question Vinmelo89...or Ubonjoe........did you also purchase an Elite card for your wife, or dose she get a visa based on the fact that you have a card?

The card is only for 1 person, so I bought it for myself and my wife gets no benefit from it. It happens that she needs to leave Thailand regularly and so far the tourist visas are enough for her.. but if she wanted the same benefits as I have we'd have to pay another half million baht for 5 years.

Thanks

Right, maybe things have changed since then, not sure. To buy my motorbike 2 years ago I was asked a work permit, not even a Non-B was enough!

Regarding my International driving license, I'm lucky my country delivers 3 years valid ones, I've still got 2 years on it.

What I might do is maybe call or visit the Honda dealer shop and ask what they require ? Things are changing so quickly these days. But you already gave me some great info there so, many thanks for it.

When I bought my latest car (December 14)... when paying the deposit I was told that I'd have to put the car in my Wife's name (not that that bothered me as its 'our' car). I pointed out their mistake, the garage double checked and agreed with me that the Affirmation of Residence Certification was all I needed (along with photocopies of my Passport and Visa page - Any Visa).

'Sometimes' (actually most of the time) when the person you are dealing with is unsure of the regulations the 'automatic face saving' response is 'cannot'... this very often turns into 'Can' once you press a little and discover the person you are dealing with has little experience.

Thanks

A friend bought a brand new motorbike a week ago, he only had to supply his letter of residency. BTW, not saying you can't get away with it, but driving in Thailand on an international licence for 2 years would be probably illegal. Thailand, like most countries, requires you to get a local licence after 3 months.

Take your visa to Immigration. Get a Resident Certificate by showing copies of your passport, two pictures, and a copy of your yellow house book or lease. Take the certificate with you to the dealership and buy the car in your name. Pretty simple actually. the dealer staff should know whatever else is needed.

Thanks

You may well have an IDP (not licence) that is dated for two more years but it is not legally valid in Thailand for that long and after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Three months may be the legal limit. After that you need a Thai licence. They are very easy to get to get, both of mine was less than an hour in the LTO.

The Honda shop will probably sell you a car with no licence, they are the worst place to ask as they want your money and don't care if you are legal or not.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Take your visa to Immigration. Get a Resident Certificate by showing copies of your passport, two pictures, and a copy of your yellow house book or lease. Take the certificate with you to the dealership and buy the car in your name. Pretty simple actually. the dealer staff should know whatever else is needed.

Alternatively, the dealer will arrange it all for a couple of hundred baht.

You can only get a Resident Certificate if you have made a 90 day report - otherwise the only option is to go to your embassy for an Affirmation of Address document.

Ubonjoe's response post 4 of this thread is the most concise and accurate response.

I'm amazed at all the great answers I received. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.

This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for me. I'll go get my residence certificate soon (I've done my 90 day report 2 days ago) and once it's done I'll go see the dealershop. Then on to get my local driving license.

All that's good news for me !

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to buy a car in Thailand, a new one from a dealershop and obviously as I know having a thai Elite visa doesn't help to buy a car. I've also called them (thai Elite staff) and they also confirmed this type of visa could not be enough to buy a car.

Do some of you have an idea how I could do to buy one? I guess it should be in the name of a Thai, or any other options?

Thanks much !

Vin

Really, half a million baht and they don't know the rules for purchasing a car in Thailandsad.png

ubonjoe solves your problem for free, what a deal clap2.gif

I bought my car and my motorbikes on a visa exempt.

Why cant you on a Thailand Elite Card visa?

Whats the visa got to do with it. You need proof of residency to register the car in your name at your address.

Thanks

You only need the Affirmation of Residence to buy the car, no drivers licence is required, Licence is to legally drive the car, two different things, Thai licence is best if you don't want problems.

I bought a used car from a tent in Bkk 2 weeks ago. I am on a tourist visa and I got a certified of residence from Jomtien immergation which the tent dealer needed to get the cars blue book in my name.

There is no visa requirement to buy a car.

You will need a certificate of residence though to register it. If you are in Bangkok and have made a 90 day report to immigration there but it takes about 3 weeks to get it.

You can also get one from your embassy.

Moving this post to the motoring forum.

Soi 5 Jomtien you get it after about 25 minutes waiting....(that's usually how long it takes the lady issuing it to finish talking to her mate on the phone).