Thai Civet Coffee in Chiang Mai - Retailers?

cairene

Hello All

A family member has asked that I return with some of this from an upcoming summer visit to Chiang Mai. The only CM source I can find online is

Doi Chang Coffee, but does anyone know if there are any other retailers (supermarkets?) that sell this? If only Doi Chang,

does anyone know where I can locate a Doi Chang coffeeshop / retailer that sells it? Preferably the Old City area, but can also try other possible sites (malls,etc.).

Any / all suggestions are appreciated. Image attached.

Thanks.

Cairene

post-202021-0-10070600-1431663957_thumb.

I passed a place called Weasel Coffee (Vietnamese chain) yesterday. they offer a similar product. was going to have a coffee (139 Baht/cup) but the place was packed at the time - standing room only. Thais have have come a long way since the days of 10 Bath cafe boran sold on the streets of Thailand.

How do they produce this stuff? Why does its say "wild" on the tin? I allways thought they kept captive animals in small cages of mesh to allow the excrement to be collected below? Intriguing.

Edited by Whale

I passed a place called Weasel Coffee (Vietnamese chain) yesterday. they offer a similar product. was going to have a coffee (139 Baht/cup) but the place was packed at the time - standing room only. Thais have have come a long way since the days of 10 Bath cafe boran sold on the streets of Thailand.

139 bt for a cup of coffee? There's a "coffee mug" born every minute laugh.png

There is a place in the mountains (Doi Taeng Coffee) above Mae Taeng that has over a dozen civet cats in small cages supporting this type of coffee. I am quite tempted to go up there some night and snip holes in the cages. These civet cats should be in the forest, not in cages.

post-498-0-21469500-1431669167_thumb.jpg

Had a tasting of this when in Bali a couple of years ago. In my opinion this really is a case of "the emperors new clothes".....it actually doesnt taste different or better than decent quality normal coffee......but I suppose if its "fashionable & trendy" and you dont mind paying at least double the price of normal coffee, then good luck !!

I notice a vietnamese place has it . Vietnamese and Chinese people love eating this kind of crap. Dogs , endangered species, tigers, bear bile etc all giving you special powers and health benefits. I wont have anything to do with it. My baht stays in my pocket. If your happy with animals spending there life being force fed coffee beans in a little cage, search this stuff out and buy it.

civet cat coffee is so 1990s... now you have to give the elephant poop coffee a go! Black Ivory Coffee and it is "naturally refined" by elephants.

50 USD a cup and only available in exclusive fine hotels... farmed a bit north of chiang mai, the guy who does it has to go to the hotel and teach them how to brew and serve, after selling them an exclusive coffee making device.

The manufacturer claims to donate 90% of profits to elephant causes and so on... check out his website

http://www.blackivorycoffee.com/#!about/aboutPage

I visit all the cat coffe farms in bali 2 years ago , and what I see with my own eyes does not make me happy , the take Wild runing cats outside there natural wild life , and hold them in small cages only to produce this coffee!

So animal lovers should not support and buy this product!

It has blood on his Hans!

Sorry was long time offline canot access my Acount Thx to Linda from support team since today in works again , and good old sandman come back!

Doi Chang coffee joints sell the "wild" civet coffee.

About 2000B a pack - and a small pack at that.

WILD CIVET coffee means just that... someone forages through the hills looking for wild civet poop.

The regular stuff is civets in cages fed coffee beans. Obviously the wild stuff is much more desirable.

Geezus, I would eat coffee beans if I thought I could sell them for 2000B an ounce after I pooped 'em.

Hmmmmm......

WILD CIVET coffee means just that... someone forages through the hills looking for wild civet poop.

The regular stuff is civets in cages fed coffee beans. Obviously the wild stuff is much more desirable.

Geezus, I would eat coffee beans if I thought I could sell them for 2000B an ounce after I pooped 'em.

Hmmmmm......

I doubt there has ever been a person that has found a coffee bean in civet scat in the wild. 100% of it comes from caged animals with only coffee beans to eat and perhaps a few scraps of lettuce. The animals are beautiful and calm in the wild, but highly agitated in the cages.

Hmmmmm......

I doubt there has ever been a person that has found a coffee bean in civet scat in the wild. 100% of it comes from caged animals with only coffee beans to eat and perhaps a few scraps of lettuce. The animals are beautiful and calm in the wild, but highly agitated in the cages.

The owner of Suan Lahu coffee claims her civet coffee is collected in the wild and that it's relatively easy to do so because they crap in the same place habitually. I haven't tried it because it's over 10,000 baht per kilo.

Well, I can understand why the civets would be agitated after eating coffee beans all day. I'm curious about why they don't chew the beans -OR DO THEY? Also, I had thought that civet dung coffee was good because the cats chose to only eat the best beans, not just because they had partially digested them.

139 bt for a cup of coffee? There's a "coffee mug" born every minute laugh.png

Mugs? this literally passed through Civet a second time coffee beans,SH** is fetching £350 a cup! according to a UK TV Program! some people have so much money they do not know what to spend it on!

Even more unbelievable is the last bottle of Cognac 1811? @ £5000 a shot! the owner hand picks his customers!

Hmmmmm......

The owner of Suan Lahu coffee claims her civet coffee is collected in the wild and that it's relatively easy to do so because they crap in the same place habitually. I haven't tried it because it's over 10,000 baht per kilo.

Civet cats in the wild will normally eat a varied mix of forest nuts, berries, and roots. Only by putting them in cages can you concentrate their coffee bean intake and digestion to ensure decent revenue. Here's a quote from the attached article from Malaysia:

"But nowadays, it is practically impossible to find genuine wild kopi luwak – the only way to guarantee that would be to actually follow a luwak around all night yourself, one experienced coffee trader told me."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/sep/13/civet-coffee-cut-the-crap

You can drink what you want, but realize that you are supporting an industry that takes animals from the wild to provide the product. I've seen the animals in cages and I didn't like the sight one bit.

Mugs? this literally passed through Civet a second time coffee beans,SH** is fetching £350 a cup! according to a UK TV Program! some people have so much money they do not know what to spend it on!

Even more unbelievable is the last bottle of Cognac 1811? @ £5000 a shot! the owner hand picks his customers!

I saw that programme too. Vomit inducing !! It seems that the "super rich" billionaire residents of London ( mostly Russian, Arab or Chinese) will pay literally any price for a food item just because nobody else can have it. eg. a dessert at £500 a shot because it contains water melted from the glacier at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!!

These people are not only billionaires but they also probably pay no tax as they will fall into the "non dom" status ie theoretically not UK resident !!

Well, I can understand why the civets would be agitated after eating coffee beans all day. I'm curious about why they don't chew the beans -OR DO THEY? Also, I had thought that civet dung coffee was good because the cats chose to only eat the best beans, not just because they had partially digested them.

A little clarification, coffee beans are not beans, they are the seed of a fruit, a small "cherry" like many small fruits, they are "designed' by nature to be eaten and the seed passed through the animal undigested and deposited in another locatjon in it's own little pile of fertilizer. If you knew the civet poop station and had many coffee trees, especially if you picked the fruit and left it in a bowls on the ground, there could be "wild" civet coffee......most will come from caged ones though.

Trung Nguyen, my favorite coffee, is thought to be civet coffee but nowadays they use a chemical process to get the same result, no little furry animal involved. It's really cheap, too. If you're ever on a visa run to Vientiane there are sellers in the central market that have it. At least, two years ago they did. Can't say if it's toxic or not, though.

• 2 weeks later...