Open a bank account

On my last visit I attempted to open a saving account with the Bangkok bank.

I was told I need a letter of introduction from my embassy.

I contacted the British embassy who informed me they do not issue letters of introduction but will sing and stamp a certified letter wich I can download from the Bangkok bank website.

When I went back to the Bangkok bank I was told they would not accept a certified letter.

Has anyone else been in a similar position

I'd be trying another bank. I have an account with Kasikorn. Opened it originally on tourist visa.

Actually just try another branch of Bangkok Bank, especially in a tourist area as they seem more clued in.

Moved to banking forum.

Another bank or another branch......

Went with my passport to the Kasikorn bank, no letter, no work permit, no nothing....5 min and the usual 17 signatures + changing the code for the ATM and everything was done.

I have 4 accounts from different branches of Bangkok Bank. I have an American passport and was asked for that each time I opened an account but nothing else. Same with the other three Thai banks where I have accounts.

Went with my passport to the Kasikorn bank, no letter, no work permit, no nothing....5 min and the usual 17 signatures + changing the code for the ATM and everything was done.

Same same but different bank, Bangkok Bank, first attempt and was successful. All wrapped up in about twenty minutes. Walked out with savings book, ATM card and internet banking.

I live in the UK and only visit twice a year but my Thai bank account comes in mighty handy.

I expect what they meant by letter of introduction from your embassy was really a Certificate of Residence. More info at this very recent ThaiVisa thread.

But I would just try a few more branches (another Bangkok Bank branch or another Thai bank branch) before going the certificate of residence route. Seems some branches don't make it easy for farangs opening a bank account while others branches (which may even be part of the same bank company) make it easy. Many, many past and recent posts with folks running into this problem...even sometimes for folks with long term visas/extensions of stay. Good luck

I though the Embassy would jump at that , its all they do these days , no more Visas and Passports, so I'm surprised they are Turning done Notary work

I opened my BKK Bank account in The Exchange. got a letter from a brief, said i was about to get Non Im O and needed account, Brief did it for free as well