Dark visors outlawed!?

First I saw a video posted on facebook about a policeman at the station berating a young guy that his helmet was not legal. Contention point was his integrated, retractable inner sun visor. Apparently, the visor is against the law for being too dark.

After that, several other posts emerged, posted by Thai bikers, discussing the issue.

One posted a link to Thairath, where you can find a TV show explaining what is and what isn't allowed.

http://www.thairath.co.th/clip/18540

My Thai isn't great, but from what I understood, it's about the color of the visors. Black visors and mirror visors are not allowed.

It seems to be another moronic law and to be honest I don't think it will be enforced. But still, it leaves one open to be exploited for some easy cash.

Has anyone got more info about this?

This has always been the law and nothing new. I've read on here 1 or 2 times of people having to pay a little tea money for that reason but almost never. I know for sure it isn't really enforced. I've had a black visor for many years and never has it been mentioned in any police stop.

Cars are also not allowed tinted windscreens. The police tried to enforce it about 8-10 years ago but they just gave up as everyone has them.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it.

'It seems to be another moronic law' - as far as I know this is the law in the UK, at least it used to be when I was last living there. The police were even planning on arresting Moto GP riders until an emergency meeting was held and the police backed down.

Common sense dictates that if you're coming up to a road block, you slow down and retract your visor if it's dark or mirrored . Heck, I retract my visor even though it's clear just so that I get some fresh air!!

If one is so stupid or arrogant not to bother doing that, then som na na!!

So, what if someone wears dark sunglasses? Should they start taking them off while riding? They're dark too.

I think the only stupid thino here is this law. I'm obviously not the only one, police included.

I've never bothered before knowing about this law, and I won't start now, that's for sure.

I've been fined for a dark normal style visor, but not yet for the dark retractable one inside the helmet. I normally retract it before a stop but I guess they could still argue it's illegal even if retracted. In fact now I think about it my dark normal style visor was lifted when I was fined for that so yeah I guess they could fine you even if retracted.

I can kind of see why they have the law (to prevent drive-by shootings/muggings etc on bikes), but given the dark windows on cars I don't really see the issue. Not to mention the labourers in the back of pickup trucks with full balaclavas etc. Or the muslims with full head dress.

I don't like wearing sunglasses with a helmet on, and early morning it can be pretty dangerous to ride without any form of tint when the sun is rising, can't see anything.

I guess in thai law a visor is a visor. There will be no difference in law between the "normal" visor and the inner "retractable". They both can be opened or closed, so there isnt any real difference. For sure using a tinted visor is dangerous in the dark.

But most of our imported helmets are not legal because they lack a Thai Industrial Standard sticker. So i would say it doesnt really matter if the visor is legal if the whole helmet is not smile.png

I guess in thai law a visor is a visor. There will be no difference in law between the "normal" visor and the inner "retractable". They both can be opened or closed, so there isnt any real difference. For sure using a tinted visor is dangerous in the dark.

But most of our imported helmets are not legal because they lack a Thai Industrial Standard sticker. So i would say it doesnt really matter if the visor is legal if the whole helmet is not smile.png

I'd say it matters if the visor is legal, because the cops fine you for the dark visor but not for the lack of a sticker.

Of course it would be pretty stupid for them to fine me for wearing a high spec imported Shoei helmet because it lacks a "Thai standard" sticker, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen laugh.png

I'd say it matters if the visor is legal, because the cops fine you for the dark visor but not for the lack of a sticker.

Of course it would be pretty stupid for them to fine me for wearing a high spec imported Shoei helmet because it lacks a "Thai standard" sticker, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen laugh.png

But isnt the visor part of most helmet safety tests? So how can a visor be legal if the helmet it is produced/tested for is not? But whatever, it sure is confusing...

And you are right, if the cops fine us it matters, whatever law they pull out of the hat to do it sad.png

This has always been the law and nothing new. I've read on here 1 or 2 times of people having to pay a little tea money for that reason but almost never. I know for sure it isn't really enforced. I've had a black visor for many years and never has it been mentioned in any police stop.

Cars are also not allowed tinted windscreens. The police tried to enforce it about 8-10 years ago but they just gave up as everyone has them.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought you were allowed a tint up to a certain level of light transference. The Police do not like 'Black' windows as they cannot see inside the vehicle, which I think is fair enough. If they have given up it may be because those ''Very Important People'' travel by minibus with blacked out windows and it might be embarrassing for the local plod on his scooter to book them! I can also understand them banning the very dark outer helmet windshield visor as this is part of the helmets protection. This mean you do not have any impact protection

at night time. I would be very surprised if they were complaining about the inner retractable sun visor. That is not part of the helmets impact protection. Of course a village plod will probably have other ideas!

As we know, most things make no sense here.

I think I read a long time ago the law says you are supposed to pass on the left even though the fast cars are in the right lane.

I think dark visors are dangerous. I swapped back to using clear visors + sunglasses.

If your only visor is a dark one, then yes, it could be dangerous if you ride at night. But if you have a main clear one and the inner dark one, it 'll be perfectly safe.

I have one of those helmets. Even though I wasn't too keen on the "Top Gun" look at first, I have to admit that this setup is hugely practical, compared to fidgeting around with stupid sunglasses.

I think dark visors are dangerous. I swapped back to using clear visors + sunglasses.

If your only visor is a dark one, then yes, it could be dangerous if you ride at night. But if you have a main clear one and the inner dark one, it 'll be perfectly safe.

I have one of those helmets. Even though I wasn't too keen on the "Top Gun" look at first, I have to admit that this setup is hugely practical, compared to fidgeting around with stupid sunglasses.

Yes I think mostly HJC helmets have that inner dark visor. I only wear Arai so no choice.

And I am also worried about UV protection. Therefor some good sunglasses under the visor is the way to go for me.

As we know, most things make no sense here.

I think I read a long time ago the law says you are supposed to pass on the left even though the fast cars are in the right lane.

I reckon the cops gave up trying to make the road hogs going slow in the fast lane, to move over., hence the law. (Insert sarcasm smiley here)

Yes I think mostly HJC helmets have that inner dark visor. I only wear Arai so no choice.

And I am also worried about UV protection. Therefor some good sunglasses under the visor is the way to go for me.

Your post got me thinking, so I contacted the helmet manufacturer in Italy (Airoh) and asked them about it.

Answer:this is to confirm you that our solar visor for MOVEMENT helmet protects from UV rays according to ISO EN 12312 legislation

I believe that every reputable manufacturer must comply to this legislation.

Edited by OmegaRacer

To be legal in the UK a visor has to meet minimum light transmision levels and be BSI approved - possibly Euro approval will do as well now.

Not strictly correct. Its all Europian now. No more British Standards. Well actually it is still a British Standards. As the standards still go by country. Just the helmet labelling has changed.

Not down to the sticker on the back anymore. Now it all comes down to the stitched on label attached to the chin strap. Yes the kite mark is still technically legal. Just you rarely see it these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-helmet-law

Technically the laws have not changed. Just the labelling

All helmets worn on UK roads must either:

• meet British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark
  • meet UNECE Regulation 22.05
  • meet a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark

Everyday now, at least one little 15 year old muppet pipes up and tells me my helmets are illegal - one is a dark smoke iridium, the other a dark twin visor which flips up ( that really confuses them for some reason ) .. Initially, I explained the meaning of DOT & SNELL and the effects of open face helmets, but now I just walk past.

Its really not worth reasoning with people that run red lights while 3 up on a Honda Grom, sharing one 500B 'Index' dog bowl between the lot of them.