Fuel injector issue or not?

topt

Some weeks ago on a long trip north I started to lose power or almost kangaroo hop when accelerating above a certain speed. This became especially noticeable as the fuel level dropped and driving up a fairly steep windy road.

In the town we were staying was a garage who diagnosed it as being caused by this - see pic

post-108341-0-11198200-1432448642_thumb.

They changed it and said there was a lot of water in it. Firstly what is this part called and would the water have got in from the fuel being topped up before we left - about a third of a tank from memory? If not any other suggestions as to what may have caused it?

The problem had not existed (such as I had noticed) until we started this journey. The diesel was from one of the major companies along Suk in Pattaya just past the entrance to Highway 7. I often fill the mc up here but not normally the car - no free water smile.png although this time not sure sad.png

The garage by the way was great as they fixed it straight away (took about 45 minutes all in) and charged us 450 baht thumbsup.gif

Certainly not an injector, looks like a fuel filter assembly. It would have been getting clogged and starved the engine of fuel under heavy demand such as when going up windy hills as you mentioned. Some filters do incorporate a water separator. You could have got some bad fuel, but its most likely an accumulation of water over a long period of time. Condensation will eventually be enough to cause problems if the filter isn't either replaced or drained.

Certainly not an injector, looks like a fuel filter assembly. It would have been getting clogged and starved the engine of fuel under heavy demand such as when going up windy hills as you mentioned. Some filters do incorporate a water separator. You could have got some bad fuel, but its most likely an accumulation of water over a long period of time. Condensation will eventually be enough to cause problems if the filter isn't either replaced or drained.

Thanks. makes sense as the garage guy said something to the gf along the lines that they needed to be changed anyway at some point which I was a bit surprised about.

Diesel Filter ,I get mine changed at every service,as the Diesel

here is not of best quality,and is full of shit,could have also been

an airlock,but always make sure to replace the filters regularly,

air,diesel, and oil

regards Worgeordie PS that is also the thing you pump up and down when you get airlock.

Edited by worgeordie

Thanks for reminding me I have to change the fuel filter at the next oil+oil filter change. I don't do a lot of km's in the PU so it's every other year for fuel filter and air filter.

The pic is of the housing, the cannister style fuel filter goes under the housing. They certainly don't need changing at every service.

That one looks like it has a sensor connected to it which should put a light on, on the dash if water builds up in it.