Tiger 'unintentionally' mauled abbot at controversial Thai temple: doctor

webfact

Has the tiger apologized to the abbot then?

This cat will kill very soon. As soon as a big cat has tasted human blood it looses all

fear and will attack on the slightest provocation.

This Tiger needs to be removed from public contact immediately. If the monks have

death wishes it is their own decision.

The truth be told, all tigers should be removed from the temple.

It is a miracle nobody got killed before.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tiger-mauled-siegfried-roy-magician-691209

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger = Alpha predator

Monk = food

Now let's think about this.....whistling.gif

I think you are confusing "alpha male" with "apex" predator. The latter means it is the top of a food chain or bio-system......and that food chain does not include humans the tigers' usual diet is deer or wild pig.......

Male tigers tend to be solitary and roam a wide area....they may be the alpha male in a region of several hundred square Km - if they stumbled upon a human their first instinct would be to avoid it....if this failed they would attack to defend their space - it is also unlikely they would devour the human. It is not a given that a human killed by a tiger will be eaten.

the tiger at the temple may just have had an instinctive reaction - sudden movement by the monk may have alarmed it or it may have been playful; it doesn't rally matter....whatever, a tiger is a hugely powerful beast and any contact of this nature can result in serious injury.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Tiger = Alpha predator

Monk = food

I think you are confusing "alpha male" with "apex" predator. The latter means it is the top of a food chain or bio-system......and that food chain does not include humans the tigers' usual diet is deer or wild pig.......

Male tigers tend to be solitary and roam a wide area....they may be the alpha male in a region of several hundred square Km - if they stumbled upon a human their first instinct would be to avoid it....if this failed they would attack to defend their space - it is also unlikely they would devour the human. It is not a given that a human killed by a tiger will be eaten.

the tiger at the temple may just have had an instinctive reaction - sudden movement by the monk may have alarmed it or it may have been playful; it doesn't rally matter....whatever, a tiger is a hugely powerful beast and any contact of this nature can result in serious injury.

Tiger = Apex predator

Monk = food (for thought) rolleyes.gif

Much better. Many thanks!!!

Edited by connda

Tiger = Alpha predator

Monk = food

Actually, when you look at the way humans have treated tigers over the years, I believe tigers see Monks and all humans for that matter as "asswipes", not food.

Not surprised they lash out now and again. thumbsup.gif

Ordinaraly, I would agree with the other posters but, really, it wouldn't take much for 660 pound creature with enourmous strength, razzor sharp claws and teeth to end any humans existance, nevermind a 66 year old abbot's. It more than likely it was an accident or at the very least, a mildly miffed Tiger that just wanted to be left alone. If the Tiger wanted him dead, he's be dead.

A seven year old tiger will more likely be in the 300 pound range. Well fed cats will be in the high 300's. How do I know? I owned tigers at one time.

the tiger pounced on its owner

seizing the tigers and putting them on show.

I would like to hear the vindication of Mr. Abbot how ownership of a wild animal and running a show for monetary reason is compatible with the teachings of Buddha, especially the paragraph containing the recommendation for monks to practice Bathism.

However, it seems Buddhism is nothing but a business here anyway. He would probably use the same legitimation for running a shooting range at a temple.

Now there is something for thought, a shooting range at the local wat. You would be able to undertake a bit of meditation, resolve a few of your problems with the Abbott , and practice your weapon craft before heading off to engage in some mischief.

Should be a financial winner for the wat and a mind clearing exercise for the participant.

Also the tiger there that took a lump out of a Scottish girls leg there in August 2013'didn't mean to attack her' neither!...or the Australian guy mauled in the tiger sanctuary in Phuket late last year who suffered stomach and back bites!Should be banned full stop!!

Ordinaraly, I would agree with the other posters but, really, it wouldn't take much for 660 pound creature with enourmous strength, razzor sharp claws and teeth to end any humans existance, nevermind a 66 year old abbot's. It more than likely it was an accident or at the very least, a mildly miffed Tiger that just wanted to be left alone. If the Tiger wanted him dead, he's be dead.

A seven year old tiger will more likely be in the 300 pound range. Well fed cats will be in the high 300's. How do I know? I owned tigers at one time.

...but which subspecies? At 7 a tiger is just about fully mature - apart from "filling out" a it you could expect a weight range of 200 to 600 lbs

Edited by cumgranosalum

...but which subspecies? At 7 a tiger is just about fully mature - apart from "filling out" a it you could expect a weight range of 200 to 600 lbs

600 lbs tigers are probably too fat and lazy to do anything like actually chasing food around, but I would guess that a relatively young tiger could sustain a healthy "active body weight" in the range of say 300-400 lbs on a carefully regulated diet of lively abbots.

The abbots could be thrust into their cages at fixed times for the amusment of tourists and to promote "happiness betting" that would not denegrate the image of Thailand.

Special "monkhood runners" lottery tickets could be purchased at 80 Baht a throw with prizes like, the abbot lasts 2 mins wins 500 baht, 3 mins wins 600 Baht, etc. Bonus points could be awarded on which parts are eaten first and refunds given for abbots still roaming free after midnight each day.

Actually I would give serious consideration to the shooting gallery, with the abbots as targets. Or, better yet, abbot hunts could be arranged in selected jungly areas of Pattaya's Beach road.

600 lbs tigers are probably too fat and lazy to do anything like actually chasing food around, but I would guess that a relatively young tiger could sustain a healthy "active body weight" in the range of say 300-400 lbs on a carefully regulated diet of lively abbots.

The abbots could be thrust into their cages at fixed times for the amusment of tourists and to promote "happiness betting" that would not denegrate the image of Thailand.

Special "monkhood runners" lottery tickets could be purchased at 80 Baht a throw with prizes like, the abbot lasts 2 mins wins 500 baht, 3 mins wins 600 Baht, etc. Bonus points could be awarded on which parts are eaten first and refunds given for abbots still roaming free after midnight each day.

Actually I would give serious consideration to the shooting gallery, with the abbots as targets. Or, better yet, abbot hunts could be arranged in selected jungly areas of Pattaya's Beach road.

"600 lbs tigers are probably too fat and lazy to do anything like actually chasing food around," - the weight depends on the sub-species - the Sumatran tigers are relatively smaill....Siberian Tigers can get well over 600 lbs and they are still quite healthy!

Edited by cumgranosalum

Wow he's Clairvoyant with tigers.

Not a clairvoyant, a detective who honed his skills by following the success of the many forum detectives. He actually interviewed the tiger who knows if he admitted an attack then he'd be in deep, so he used the standard line of defence. It wasn't me, I did nothing wrong. It was one of those other tigers. Which one? The one with the stripes but he told me he didn't mean to. Ok. Thanks, that's it, solved, it was unintentional. And I didn't have to sweep it under carpet. whistling.gif

Yes the flying Elephant scared the Tiger, But the temple doctor was to high to notice anything, have to save face now or there will be no more pocket money coming in for these vermin, who call them selves monks.

A tiger that mauled the abbot of a Thai temple under fire over the welfare of dozens of big cats in its care "didn't intend to attack him", said the monk's doctor, who is also a noted tiger expert (who knew the tiger's intention at the time even though he had never met the tiger or even witnessed the attack), Sahathep Sawarngnet, The multi-talented doctor/tiger psychologist is also the hospital's director.

There, fixed it for you. (I thought I read a news story saying the monks say the injury is from falling down stairs)

How many more attacks before they ban tourists from direct interaction with tigers?

But of course it is !
We must steer, legislate, regulate and ultimately prohibit, prohibit, prohibit ... Your proposal is so much powerful that you probably swallowed some substance for such an explosion of genius.
Hats off sir.

Huh?

And this makes you better than Abbots how? Your post make you sound like a Sadist. Sick!

You can relax. The tiger has been shifted to an inactive post.

......or "chained' to an inactive post?

LOL! Very witty clap2.gif

Edited by Dap

And he knows that the tiger didn't intend to hurt the guy, because he speaks fluent tiger.

Oops, sorry I added this post before I read yours Billmont. 'Tigerese' sounds much more appropriate biggrin.png

Edited by Yann55