Two Lao men arrested for trying to smuggle 26 mil baht cash out of Thailand

webfact

Two Laotian bulk cash smugglers arrested

5-27-2015-11-05-36-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Custom officials in Mukdaharn province arrested two Laotian nationals Wednesday morning when they tried to smuggle 26 million baht in bulk cash out of the country to Laos.

The two were identified as Thao Banluesak Sipakdi, 31, and Thao Santichai Chanto, 25.

Mukdaharn custom chief Soraj Sangkawan said the two Laotians were intercepted as they were driving in a pickup truck passing the Cites Mukdaharn border checkpoint to Sawannakhet of Laos.

The authorities at the checkpoint comprising custom officials, soldiers and rangers searched the truck and discovered three paper boxes.

Opening uo all three boxes, they found bulk cash in Thai baht of 1,000 baht banknotes packed inside.

The bulk cash worth altogether 26 million baht.

Thai authorities then informed both men that smuggling bulk cash in Thai currency is a crime.

They then offered the bulk cash to Thai authorities.

However authorities booked the two Laotians for further questioning by custom and security officials, and also confiscated the bulk cash.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-laotian-bulk-cash-smugglers-arrested

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-27

I don't know what is going on there: every month the Royal Thai Police arrests Thai or Lao people trying to smuggle tens of millions of Baht from Thailand into Laos.

Probably dirty money that needs laundering?

From illegal business: drugs, prostitution, pyramid schemes, human trafficking, etc.

In my past life, I was a Laotian. I used to smuggle bamboo across the Mekong, VIA A BOAT, after trekking in the forest with 3 boxes of them. gigglem.gif

Rhetorical question. If they know the place is crawling with checkpoints, why not resort my old, ancient method? blink.png

I don't know what is going on there: every month the Royal Thai Police arrests Thai or Lao people trying to smuggle tens of millions of Baht from Thailand into Laos.

From illegal business: drugs, prostitution, pyramid schemes, human trafficking, etc.

My instant thought about his headline was that corrupt officials are getting

nervous about the ongoing army crackdown, and feel it it time

to move some of their cash out of town. Am surprised the policemen

there were not salivating when looking all that money. Back in the bad

old days they police would have scooped up that money in a heartbeat.

With the army side by side with them, no idea what will happen to the

money. Maybe actually go into the general fund ?? The Laos guys were

obviously just couriers, judging by the fact they were so quick to try and

give the money to the police ........cheesy.gif

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, you are stating the bleeding obvious.

If it was legal it would be safe and sound in a bank account.

26 million - hmmm quite a few expats will at some point want to sell up assets here and go back home after selling a few condos or businesses, how might one get out with that much cash? they simply wont be able too.

That is because it is illegal to leave a country, almost any country, with large amounts of currency. OTOH they could transfer from bank to bank quite legally, as long as they have proof of the source of income and that applicable taxes have been paid. They would even get a better exchange rate.

I have simply lost all respect for the corrupt elites. Are they so stupid

they cannot even figure out off shore banking to protect all the money

they stole ?? No wonder Thailand is doing so poorly......coffee1.gif

Using boxes in the back of a truck driven by Laos nationals ?

That is simply pathetic. If there are any wealthy elites out there

that need to move money, contact me......... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I have simply lost all respect for the corrupt elites. Are they so stupid

they cannot even figure out off shore banking to protect all the money

they stole ?? No wonder Thailand is doing so poorly......coffee1.gif

Using boxes in the back of a truck driven by Laos nationals ?

That is simply pathetic. If there are any wealthy elites out there

that need to move money, contact me......... :-)

What makes you think they were elites? The amount in question?

As for your cash move offer, just wait til tomorrow, your message box will be full.tongue.png

26 million baht.

Fits in two medium-sized suitcases.

Just next time flying with Thai Airways as VIP in First Class.

Up to 120 kg no problem.

Amateurs

x-ray ????????

VIP with a diplomatic Passport,
nobody will touch that kind of luggage.

maybe it was 30 million and they only found 26 now :)

and the cash will be help as evidence ? maybe some creative thai policeman can start making colour photocopies and exchange it in the evidence room

no-one will ever found out, and if they do, that person will only be transferred

in those circumstances, would you not be tempted if you can steal, rob, cheat all you want, in the protection of your uniform ?

26 million - hmmm quite a few expats will at some point want to sell up assets here and go back home after selling a few condos or businesses, how might one get out with that much cash? they simply wont be able too.

Why would anyone in that position want to take that much Thai currency out?