Victims of human trafficking recall their nightmare on crowded boat

webfact

It is not a simple task, and we all know that life isn't fair, but that is no reason to stop trying to make it fairer.

I was talking about the people who are in the trafficking cycle through this region's waters, as in the OP. The trafficking cycle is barbaric and evil. There is no need to reduce people down to this level, and this region's nations should work together to relocate these people in lands where they can best integrate culturally and be productive workers. This has already slowly started happening in some places.

On the one billion plus people, we are obviously switching to long-term macro abstracts, they need social reforms and building of infrastructure and manufacturing in their home nations, so they can "save" themselves. It will take generations, centuries.

There is a lot of talk in the media these days about "benefits entitlement" culture with people demanding social security benefits and soforth, in Europe especially. I am more concerned with "work entitlement" culture, because I believe that every person on the planet has the right to work a fair-wage job, and also there is no practical reason why these jobs should not be created. So this is obviously the desired long-term (meaning centuries) goal. But as I'm sure you know, current global social, religious and military barriers are in the way of this ideal global model.

In the meantime, we could start by condemning trafficking, and trying to help those who we see suffering in this region's waters.

The OP is about "Nur-e-Alam, 25, said he was offered "a vocation trip" to Malaysia.....This is similar story to the one told by Alam, who was tricked into thinking he was going to Malaysia for a free tourism trip."

You wrote, "On the one billion plus people, we are obviously switching to long-term macro abstracts, they need social reforms and building of infrastructure and manufacturing in their home nations, so they can "save" themselves. It will take generations, centuries."

Is that really how you would describe a couple of guys trying to take a vacation?

If you read the OP you will understand that the headline has very little to do with the rest of the post.

The Headline should read, "guys looking for a cheap vacation have rough boat ride and are held captive in Thailand in Thailand for 18 months."

You are obviously very pedantic. Can we be forgiven for discussing a seriously vexing and poignant topic related to the OP?

While I understand your concern there is a tradition on Thai Visa about reading the OP before posting. In this case the OP is about a bad boat trip of a couple guys who were trying to go on vacation to Malaysia.

Nur-e-Alam, 25, said he was offered "a vocation trip" to Malaysia.....This is similar story to the one told by Alam, who was tricked into thinking he was going to Malaysia for a free tourism trip.

Thank you for your "help" but if you think I am off topic then see Dragonfly and philw threads I was answering. A subject like this will always open up related general discussion.

I also suggested to them that they read the OP. I'm sure you all can find a great thread about your concerns. However this thread is about a bad boat trip and people who thought they were going on a vacation being held in captivity for 18 months.

The OP is an interesting story about Thai authorities holding people against their will for 18 months after they were kidnapped and families paid ransom to a bank account in Thailand.

Interesting story but hardy about trafficking in the normal sense of the word. More like kidnapping.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

I also suggested to them that they read the OP. I'm sure you all can find a great thread about your concerns. However this thread is about a bad boat trip and people who thought they were going on a vacation being held in captivity for 18 months.

The OP is an interesting story about Thai authorities holding people against their will for 18 months after they were kidnapped and families paid ransom to a bank account in Thailand.

Interesting story but hardy about trafficking in the normal sense of the word. More like kidnapping.

Well the OP article is describing those two men's experience of being aboard a boat run by human-traffickers, in which trafficked women are being raped every night, and trafficked people were being beaten by human-traffickers for requesting drinking water.

So regardless of the two men's reasons, or the lies they were told to get them on board, it is a story about the cruelty inflicted on poor people by human-traffickers, on a boat loaded with trafficked people.

So I think it is wrong to try and claim the story in the OP isn't about trafficking, or the horrors experienced by those unfortunate people.

Well the OP article is describing those two men's experience of being aboard a boat run by human-traffickers, in which trafficked women are being raped every night, and trafficked people were being beaten by human-traffickers for requesting drinking water.

So regardless of the two men's reasons, or the lies they were told to get them on board, it is a story about the cruelty inflicted on poor people by human-traffickers, on a boat loaded with trafficked people.

So I think it is wrong to try and claim the story in the OP isn't about trafficking, or the horrors experienced by those unfortunate people.

Pirates and kidnappers for sure. I don't know that traffickers kidnap people and hold them for ransom. I think that is beyond the scope of most traffickers and more of a pirate thing. Like Somali pirates to kidnap people hold them for ransom.

The other problem I see which you have not mentioned is that Thailand held them for 18 months. What is that?

I don't know how long they were on the boat - a few days? And then held captive for 18 months. I'm sure the boat was bad but 18 months in captivity awaiting deportation what was that about?

I think that is the main thrust of what is wrong in the story. Why did the Thai immigration hold them for 18 months?

Lovely to see the compassion and empathy on Thai visa.

Not.

If you lot had your way, the refugees of the 2nd world war would have been left to rot.

You know, the Germans, Poles, Russians, Jews, Greeks,et al.

Some of the posters here are so appalling that perhaps they should made to experience the real misery that at least a third of the worlds population lives in.

These beggars are not the same as ww2 refugees and are not escaping any war. When even Buddhist monks demonstrate against them you have to wonder about their claims of 'persecution'. They are trouble makers whose religion is a barrier to them integrating into any but an Islamic country. They are poor, uneducated and and have large families, caring for them is the real headache, not getting away on a boat to circumvent immigration laws by playing the refugee card.

Yeah, you are right.

Let them drown.....

They are not really human anyway, only beggars, trouble makers and members of the wrong religion ...

Are you Christian or Jewish perchance ??

Pirates and kidnappers for sure. I don't know that traffickers kidnap people and hold them for ransom. I think that is beyond the scope of most traffickers and more of a pirate thing. Like Somali pirates to kidnap people hold them for ransom.

The other problem I see which you have not mentioned is that Thailand held them for 18 months. What is that?

I don't know how long they were on the boat - a few days? And then held captive for 18 months. I'm sure the boat was bad but 18 months in captivity awaiting deportation what was that about?

I think that is the main thrust of what is wrong in the story. Why did the Thai immigration hold them for 18 months?

Pirates kidnappers traffickers? Does it really matter how you name them? Do you think they operate by some categorical code of conduct? You are trying to prove a point and splitting hairs as a result, that's why I suggested you are being pedantic.

Pirates kidnappers traffickers? Does it really matter how you name them? Do you think they operate by some categorical code of conduct? You are trying to prove a point and splitting hairs as a result, that's why I suggested you are being pedantic.

Big difference between starving people trying to live and tourists taking a vacation. I suggest again that you read the OP and comment on the real problem which is Thai immigration holding kidnapped tourists for 18 months.

I might sound cruel. But a person who pays & willingly goes on a boat to illegally migrate to another country is a not human trafficking 'victim', they are illegal migrants. Yes, seriously bad things happen to them on their journey & this should be regularly reported through the media in their home countries to alert them that the boat journeys are extremely dangerous paths to take & what the consequences are.

Bull feathers and horse hockey.

They are victims of human slavery and nothing more.

they are scammed victims thats all they paid there money.....to be illegal if they didnt get caught they wouldnt be victims yes

So they were only victims when they got caught? Huh? I thought they were victims of extortion before they got caught. Point is what is it you wouldn't do to escape poverty or victimization? Stand in their shoes for a moment

they paid money and knew what was happening..you would be in horror if thousands turned up on your door step..

Bull feathers and horse hockey.

They are victims of human slavery and nothing more.

they are scammed victims thats all they paid there money.....to be illegal if they didnt get caught they wouldnt be victims yes

So they were only victims when they got caught? Huh? I thought they were victims of extortion before they got caught. Point is what is it you wouldn't do to escape poverty or victimization? Stand in their shoes for a moment

they paid money and knew what was happening..you would be in horror if thousands turned up on your door step..

They thought they were going on a vacation if you read the OP. I would think Thailand would want tourists?